The Hair Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

nichsong

Reaction score
damn, i'm sold.

It's really worth a go. If you're rocking the two block, 3-4 half pumps and mixing it evenly into your hair should create some good volume, texture and movement. Spread out the application area per pump. Scrunch and adjust where desired.

nichsong

Reaction score
screw those china made nonsense la.
it's so easy to get hold of them and flipping them for high profit.

it happens to one local Made in China nonsense, the entire pomade turn from clear blue to entirely milky white, i had to throw the entire box out.
it's pretty crap.

stay away from MIC pomade if you want your hair. don't know what crap went into making that crap.

i hate it when it's made in china but its not printed on the label, it's considered cheating to me.
formulated in USA my arse seriously.

Deceptive advertising. On paper there is nothing wrong in legal terms. But to the average, unsuspecting consumer.. They actually believe that the product was MADE in the USA as many of them cannot tell the difference.

And like I have been saying.. MIC or not, Ii's about the quality at the end of the day. With many of us having similarly negative experiences, one can't really blame if people form a certain impression.

So many "local brands" have chose to go down the same path.. Even to the extent of getting the same low quality products from the same OEM manufacturer. What kind of impression then will consumers have of the local scene?

(Minus the two exceptions that have actually brewed their own products)

The msian brands as mentioned by hwarong, actually brew their own stuff. And its legit, quality stuff. Butter Grease etc even Gonzo who has partnered with Lockhart's from the USA. With quality levels like that from so many malaysian brands, of course people are going to be more supportive.

On the other hand, 85 - 90% of our local brands here are OEM white label guys. Now let that sink in.

baineteo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have very thick hair and sport sometimes like to sport short hairstyle. I've tried many brands, including HDF Claymation and Imperial Barber Gel Pomade (for when my hair gets long and I don't wish to cut it yet). I find them quite expensive. I used to use Gatsby but I find it difficult to wash off.

I was wondering if there's anything you guys would recommend? My hair is Super stubborn, and that means if I put just a tad too little Imperial Barbar gel pomade in the morning, my fringe will start falling. Most styling products I've used "wear out" after one hour, including one that I bought from my salon Ice Hair Erratic Moulding clay. My hairstylist agrees that my hair is quite difficult to work with. I'm not interested in using hair spray.

Imperial barber works well when the hair is longer, but the look is too wet for short hair styling. I find claymation quite easy to work with, but holding strength doesn't feel like it's enough!

TL;DR: Need very strong hold for thick, stubborn hair. Probably cheaper alternatives appreciated!

Cheers!

hwarong

Reaction score
pomade generally dont really work in SG. it's all about the hype.
that's why it didn't really pick up in singapore
to be completely honest, only wax style product works well with sg climate.
pomade, with the humidity, its gonna look extra oily in our weather.

oil based pomade is the last thing you wanna use in SG weather. prepare for pimples and other nonsense.

I'll b neutral on this since i am using both pomade & wax on my general usage.
Pomade do work in SG, but depending on what type of pomade that we're using.
Cause the purpose of pomade is mainly on getting the slick, clean comb type of hairstyle.
Wax generally meant for volume, textured, finger comb types.

Water based Gel Pomades:
Pomade like Gonzo is one of the very few that is good on overall quality.
But, not all gel type works. brands like Bona fide, Uppercut flakes after certain hours. Suavecito too (flakes on me).
Some even harden..some even worse. dont wanna mention it.

Oil-based/Petro based Pomades:
Brands like Lockhart's, Murray's, Dax, etc.
Great for slicking and pure malleability. But Super hard to degrease and wash it off.
Only those who're into the Greaser scene will appreciate it.

UWB Pomades:
Redhouse, Flagship, RockRiver, Port City, Odouds, etc.
Current trending in the market. Malleable like Oil based, But easier to wash it off. Doesnt Harden/flakes like Gel based. Only Firms up. Cons? thats where the holding power comes into place. Most products are only from medium - firm hold.

At the end of the day, it all depends on how they use it actually. haha.

Oil based is the last thing to use in SG? depends.
Some users still using it because its the most organic product to use since they mostly contain beeswax, shea, oil like grapeseed,coconut, argan etc that its not harmful at all. Use in moderation to avoid pimples and excess oil thats gonna run down to your forehead/face.

Unlike wax and gel based whereby containing loads of alcohols and emusifiers like cetereath, cetyl alchol, pva/pvp/pv/va copolymer and preservatives (parabens, polyexthanol, etc) in order to be lightweight, with firming agents.
(Im not saying all brands...just on the general basis)

Sorry for the lengthy post. Just wanna share abit more on the pomade side since there's seldom post about pomades lately.

hwarong

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have very thick hair and sport sometimes like to sport short hairstyle. I've tried many brands, including HDF Claymation and Imperial Barber Gel Pomade (for when my hair gets long and I don't wish to cut it yet). I find them quite expensive. I used to use Gatsby but I find it difficult to wash off.

I was wondering if there's anything you guys would recommend? My hair is Super stubborn, and that means if I put just a tad too little Imperial Barbar gel pomade in the morning, my fringe will start falling. Most styling products I've used "wear out" after one hour, including one that I bought from my salon Ice Hair Erratic Moulding clay. My hairstylist agrees that my hair is quite difficult to work with. I'm not interested in using hair spray.

Imperial barber works well when the hair is longer, but the look is too wet for short hair styling. I find claymation quite easy to work with, but holding strength doesn't feel like it's enough!

TL;DR: Need very strong hold for thick, stubborn hair. Probably cheaper alternatives appreciated!

Cheers!

In short, you're looking for

Strong Hold + EasyWash + Quality Ingredients....and Cheap.

Wanna consider getting a wig instead? Helps to eliminates all your problems.:D:D:D

Okay okay relax.. Joking joking. Its a forum after all...not a Professional Care Centre.
All love guys.

Wait for Nichsong & Gaoxing to reply your post since they have more expertise in those areas.
But at the same time, whats the budget range anyway??

nichsong

Reaction score
Hi all,

Cheers!

Are u aware of the term preystyling? I'd recommend first using a sea salt spray as a prestyler prior to applying a matte finish wax.

Esp since you don't want to use hairspray, a SSS and the heat from the hairdryer helps to give you that foundation for a more lasting hairstyle. It also helps absorb extra oil and grease.

Sent from Samsung SM-G950F using GAGT

Kahlua73

Reaction score
As of now I only know Ubersuave and Getzgy as the only two local brands exclusively dealing with hair products. I think they get their products manufactured from the same lab in California, USA. Gotta say I'm not too impressed with their matte products (Ubersuave's Matte wax and Getzgy's Matte Clay) which is essentially the same thing. Hold is strong but its extremely drying on the hair.

However, Getzgy does homebrew. They homebrewed a hybrid pomade, and recently just released a homebrewed "natural" matte wax which includes jojoba and argan oil in their ingredient list. Just ordered the wax to try it out, hopefully the results will be good and not as drying as their previous matte product!

Ubersuave is made in China. They are only so called "formulated in USA" lol

baineteo

Reaction score
Haha. Cheaper is ideal. I'm prepared to spend the same amount as claymation or imperial barber, both are about $30+. Still, if there's something that's cheap(er) I wouldn't say no! 😬

@nichsong: My salon guy recommends me to blow dry before applying anything, but I prefer to just use one product and get out in no time! Maybe it's no possible with my hair? :( But no, I'm not aware of pre styling with sea salt spray!

hwarong

Reaction score
Haha. Cheaper is ideal. I'm prepared to spend the same amount as claymation or imperial barber, both are about $30+. Still, if there's something that's cheap(er) I wouldn't say no! 😬

@nichsong: My salon guy recommends me to blow dry before applying anything, but I prefer to just use one product and get out in no time! Maybe it's no possible with my hair? :( But no, I'm not aware of pre styling with sea salt spray!

Blow drying is essential.
Most easy wash products are water soluble, so, mking your hair dry will help your product application last longer.

Definitely, theres a way to style it up. Its just that theres no easy shortcuts in hair styling. :)

hwarong

Reaction score
Ubersuave is made in China. They are only so called "formulated in USA" lol

Have you heard Quincy pomades by Defy Empire? Its from SuperShadesSG at Marina Square. Its $28 per tub. They stated its formulated in California and plus, added argan. But i call BS. Cause it wòrks the same with frizzy hair after wash.

And yes to nichsong...theres more...

nichsong

Reaction score
Haha. Cheaper is ideal. I'm prepared to spend the same amount as claymation or imperial barber, both are about $30+. Still, if there's something that's cheap(er) I wouldn't say no! �

I understand. As of now the best matte product I would recommend is Morris motley treatment styling balm. That to me is the gold standard.

However, I understand that it is on the pricier side and many new to the hair product scene are skeptical about forking out that amount.

In that case I really recommend trying out pre styling with SSS then maybe adding just a bit of your claymation as a finishing touch. Claymation is a heavy product, so just a small pinch will do really. Light coating.

How to pre style : wet hair thoroughly, towel dry, spray /apply pre styling product into hair, use hands to spread evenly, blow dry and use hands to shape your hair into desired style, apply abit of finishing product (clay, wax etc), top it all off with hairspray if desired.

Fizzable

Reaction score
so ive been using mm for almost 2 weeks and its rly a fantastic product, strong hold, nice scent, easy to wash off. only had 2 issues with it.
1) its so pliable when you style with it it doesnt give a fixed structure, but yea its a trade off

2) it sucks as a prestyler dont ever use it as a prestyler, you're wasting the product imo. waaaay more worth to use as a post styler.

thanks to the bros who asked me to try mm again, loving it now :)

baineteo

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, hwarong & nichsong.

Now, here's the part I get really confused. I've seen the tips about not applying too much, because it will weigh down the hair. Problem is, even with product like claymation (where they recommend to use a pea sized amount), my hair almost always loses its shape after 1 hour, even if I'm applying to dry hair. Those pinched ends will disappear and my hair will be all over the place (sticking out, because my hair is very 'stiff'). The only way for Claymation to work well for my hair is for me to really spam quite a good amount and pinch it real hard. Anything that's matte really doesn't hold my hair together at all; even with Gatsby stuff when I was using previously. I always had to go for the wet look or at least mid shine stuff.

nichsong

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, hwarong & nichsong.

Now, here's the part I get really confused. I've seen the tips about not applying too much, because it will weigh down the hair. Problem is, even with product like claymation (where they recommend to use a pea sized amount), my hair almost always loses its shape after 1 hour, even if I'm applying to dry hair. Those pinched ends will disappear and my hair will be all over the place (sticking out, because my hair is very 'stiff'). The only way for Claymation to work well for my hair is for me to really spam quite a good amount and pinch it real hard. Anything that's matte really doesn't hold my hair together at all; even with Gatsby stuff when I was using previously. I always had to go for the wet look or at least mid shine stuff.

You should really try out using a sea salt spray as a prestyler bro. I know it seems abit intimidating that u gotta add another product to your routine. But it is worth it trust me :)

Because of our hair type and climate, it is difficult to find products that can help you keep your style inch perfect in place the entire day. In fact is near impossible, sometimes even with hairspray.

Go from the sea salt spray and try it out. You'll be amazed at it trust me

nichsong

Reaction score
Carter Supply Products

So guys, Joe the owner of hairppening just contacted me to send me a sample kit of Carter Supply's range of products. He just brought them in, and I believe he is the first retailer to carry the range. He has also mentioned to freely share my opinion as well as inform anyone about this exchange between us - And as usual I will be transparent with you guys and let y'all know about this before I review them.

I will test the products once I have received them, and as usual you guys will know my honest opinion thereafter.

nez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so ive been using mm for almost 2 weeks and its rly a fantastic product, strong hold, nice scent, easy to wash off. only had 2 issues with it.
1) its so pliable when you style with it it doesnt give a fixed structure, but yea its a trade off

2) it sucks as a prestyler dont ever use it as a prestyler, you're wasting the product imo. waaaay more worth to use as a post styler.

thanks to the bros who asked me to try mm again, loving it now :)

Yes you are right. MM does not work well as a prestyler.
Apologies for the wrong info previously.

Last edited:

Handsomebaby

Reaction score
So guys, Joe the owner of hairppening just contacted me to send me a sample kit of Carter Supply's range of products. He just brought them in, and I believe he is the first retailer to carry the range. He has also mentioned to freely share my opinion as well as inform anyone about this exchange between us - And as usual I will be transparent with you guys and let y'all know about this before I review them.

I will test the products once I have received them, and as usual you guys will know my honest opinion thereafter.

Don't forget to mention it's made in china :) trust you to be a neutral reviewer and give all factual information

Fizzable

Reaction score
wah shiok sia free sample HAHA

nichsong

Reaction score
Don't forget to mention it's made in china :) trust you to be a neutral reviewer and give all factual information

Whether I mention its made in China or not is redundant at this point.. You'll understand if you have been following my posts carefully. If its a low quality product that dries my hair out, then yeah maybe its worth me bringing out the MIC info you provided. But if you feel compelled to mention it as I am reviewing the products please don't hesitate! It's a free forum.

And yes of course, I will be transparent with my reviews and relate them according to my own personal experience. I have been doing that since I first started posting here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.