Indonesia Prepaid SIM Card

jarvis

Master Member
Reaction score
The problem is that each vendor decides what they want to charge for the sim card with data and there is no standard price. earlier this year (about Jan / Feb) I remembered the Jakarta and Bali airports trying to charge like between S$25-30 for the Simpati with 2gb whereas the price listed on the internet is about S$8. In Bali, the hotel driver took us to some small shop in the middle of nowhere and we bought from there instead for about S$10-S$15 (cannot remember how much but it was significantly cheaper than the airport).

That said, these days, most of the Singapore telcom providers offer capped charges. Singtel charges S$20 for 1gb roaming to various places including Indonesia. Slightly more expensive, but data from landing + no need to waste time getting the card or worrying whether you will be able to get one without getting ripped off.

juliusdunlop

Reaction score
Hi all, will be gg to Yogyakarta this fri. Do you think it is advisable to get the data SIM card at the airport or cheaper to get at the convenience stall? Is the price difference huge otherwise will stick to getting the data SIM card at the airport to avoid the hassle of finding a convenience shop there.

Which telco do you guys recommend?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

If you can wait, get it in the city with the sim card vendors. Definitely cheaper. In malls there will be small shops that sells sim cards.

angelmiao

Reaction score
Fellow Indonesian here.
Telkomsel got the most expensive price for simcard ( for Indonesians) . They got too many telcos which is why certain areas signal is either bad / good.
Everytime I go back there, i use XL, whereas my siblings use Telkomsel cos their workplace signal for that particular telco got good coverage. So it actually depends on where u travel to :s13:

AS1

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows how to get the telkomsel included WiFi to work?

For me, I only buy simcard from the Telco branches itself and only pulsa from street vendors.

AS1

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
install the app? see https://itunes.apple.com/sg/app/telkomsel-wifi/id975101578?mt=8

street vendors usually sell pulsa with surcharge. you can avoid surcharge if you topup online.

If 2000-3000 rupiah "commission", still okay to buy from the vendors in my opinion. Its when they start asking significantly more is when I just top up online.

On that note, telkomsel seriously has a lot of apps. Couldn't they integrate all services into one app?

kitkat2

Reaction score
If 2000-3000 rupiah "commission", still okay to buy from the vendors in my opinion. Its when they start asking significantly more is when I just top up online.

On that note, telkomsel seriously has a lot of apps. Couldn't they integrate all services into one app?

i have been using the one app mytelkomsel. never used the wifi one. do you really still need wifi? hardly seen any data bundle that comes with wifi nowadays and mobile data is more than sufficient. :)

AS1

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Telkomsel still does for Simpati. I usually get the 35k rupiah one as its the most data I use but give 30 day validity. Just that I can't get the included free WiFi and seamless to work. Surprisingly there was free 3g data as well other than my 4g.

travellover

Reaction score
I bought a data sim card during my Bali trip in May. Does anyone know if it still can be use in Batam?

kitkat2

Reaction score
I bought a data sim card during my Bali trip in May. Does anyone know if it still can be use in Batam?

when exactly did you buy it? indonesian cards have short lives. short active period followed by 20-30 days of grace.

one way to check if it's still alive is to stick it into your phone.

lanzhu60

Reaction score
Hi ,anyone know how much e airport is selling the simpati sim ? Gg over tis coming July

when exactly did you buy it? indonesian cards have short lives. short active period followed by 20-30 days of grace.

travellover

Reaction score

Hi kitkat2,

Many thank for your reply. I had checked the old sim card cannot be used anymore. In the end, subscribe data passport.

jiasmilex

Reaction score
Backpacking in Indonesia

Hi I will be doing a two weeks backpacking trip in Indonesia. I will fly to Lombok and come back from Jakarta. Any recommendations for prepaid sim card? It's gonna be my first time there in Indonesia. Appreciate if anyone could help me by telling me which telcom prepaid sim card I should get, where should I get it and how much would it cost?

Thank you! :)

spikeling

Reaction score
The best way is to get M1 prepaid sim card. $15 and it comes with $18 value.

M1 give 1Gb free data for 30 days that you can use it for data roaming in Indonesia for free. If not enough, use the $18 value to purchase additional data.

Best value!

Hi I will be doing a two weeks backpacking trip in Indonesia. I will fly to Lombok and come back from Jakarta. Any recommendations for prepaid sim card? It's gonna be my first time there in Indonesia. Appreciate if anyone could help me by telling me which telcom prepaid sim card I should get, where should I get it and how much would it cost?

kitkat2

Reaction score
The best way is to get M1 prepaid sim card. $15 and it comes with $18 value.

M1 give 1Gb free data for 30 days that you can use it for data roaming in Indonesia for free. If not enough, use the $18 value to purchase additional data.

Best value!

it's $15 now with $15 credit loaded. free 2gb data for 20 days.

m1's counterpart in indo is xl. xl should work great in the cities, but it didn't work for me when i was in countryside in east java.

kitkat2

Reaction score

telkomsel, the singtel of indonesia.

the tourist price would be around 100-200k rupiah. cheaper if you order from taobao.

pssmrteo

Reaction score

Which telco has the longest grace period?

cruizer_ph

Reaction score
IM3/Indosat any good?

Any feedback on IM3/Indosat Ooredoo, specifically when used in Bali? thanks...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.