Surface Pro (5)

Cashew_Nut

Reaction score
Anyone got Intel on when Surface Pro 5 will come to Singapore?

I will visit Tokyo soon. Anyone know if can buy there?

Still tempted with iPad Pro but me thinks that more for creative types with creative job, not for Word and Email users like me.

Firestone

Reaction score
Anyone got Intel on when Surface Pro 5 will come to Singapore?

I will visit Tokyo soon. Anyone know if can buy there?

Still tempted with iPad Pro but me thinks that more for creative types with creative job, not for Word and Email users like me.

Im also waiting for (LTE) it
First launch countries for Asia includes china, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan

Else you can try to buy via Amazon I guess

Cashew_Nut

Reaction score
Ah ok. I want LTE also. Will go to Microsoft store in Tokyo and see what happens. Language might be first problem 😄

Cashew_Nut

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know bro.

I bought LTE iPad some years ago but realised never use as everywhere for wifi already these days. Any idea how much more LTE will cost?

Firestone

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know bro.

I bought LTE iPad some years ago but realised never use as everywhere for wifi already these days. Any idea how much more LTE will cost?

No pricing is out yet, esp for sg
But I think LTE should be for i5 model coz it's a fanless model
The LTE should be using the fan slot space

Most likely a $300 premium

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I do recommend checking out for user reviews online. Of late, I have seen quite a fair bit of issues with this new SP. On the lower end, there seem to be pretty bad throttling of the CPU due to the lack of fan.

Cashew_Nut

Reaction score
Hmm does that mean overheating?

Anybody have recommendations of sexy looking alternatives? I'm not a power hungry user. Just web, email, Office, photos, movies and the occasional strategy game.

I do recommend checking out for user reviews online. Of late, I have seen quite a fair bit of issues with this new SP. On the lower end, there seem to be pretty bad throttling of the CPU due to the lack of fan.

PowerBB

Master Member
Reaction score
Any idea when will SP 2017 be launched in sg? Would it be cheaper if i get it from japan?

Cashew_Nut

Reaction score
You're right. Some reports of random shut downs. Microsoft yet to get to bottom of it.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You're right. Some reports of random shut downs. Microsoft yet to get to bottom of it.

Randon shutdown/ throttling are known issues now.

Looking back at the history of all the Surface Pro released, it may not be that wise to immediately get it when it is first released since there always seem to be some teething issues at launch. Issues at launch is not uncommon for new hardware, but considering that this is one of the most expensive 2 in 1 device out there, I find it difficult to justify recommending it.

Last edited:

PowerBB

Master Member
Reaction score
Randon shutdown/ throttling are known issues now.

Looking back at the history of all the Surface Pro released, it may not be that wise to immediately get it when it is first released since there always seem to be some teething issues at launch. Issues at launch is not uncommon for new hardware, but considering that this is one of the most expensive 2 in 1 device out there, I find it difficult to justify recommending it.
I read about the hibernation problem too and find it ridiculous. SP4 also suffered alot of issues after launched. Shouldn't MS tested its product rigorously before introducing into the market?
I don't see Apple having such issues.

Last edited:

bitwise

Reaction score
for somebody who hasn't used surface products... you spew too much negativity. it's like you have this mission to visit all surface threads here and point out bad things you just "read" from somehere.

anyway as a surface pro 4 owner, my only concern with my device when I bought it was the light bleed. with the new release, it has been reported that this issue is now gone (source: windows central)

for throttling issues, I have no concern since I only use it for normal media/internet consumption. the main selling point of Surface for me is its mobility, the pen/touch support and 2 in 1 features that cannot be attained by just having a laptop. if gaming is your thing / heavy duty computing then this is not the device for you. that's why you have the gaming laptop category right?

with regards to the "teething issues" these were all fixed with regular software updates. all of those that were reported are already fixed and I dont think this will reoccur with the newest line of Surface products.

Last edited:

Cashew_Nut

Reaction score
This may be true. However, with the quality of Apple products the bar is set very high and even the slightest flaws are noticed and reported upon. It is a highly competitive market, with consumers spending large sums on devices that they will use for years, so they should be made known of any fault however small. Apple has set the standard in terms of quality though I question functionality. I am torn between iPad Pro and Surface Pro. Reports, negative and positive, help me make an informed choice of where I spend my money.

for somebody who hasn't used surface products... you spew too much negativity. it's like you have this mission to visit all surface threads here and point out bad things you just "read" from somehere.

anyway as a surface pro 4 owner, my only concern with my device when I bought it was the light bleed. with the new release, it has been reported that this issue is now gone (source: windows central)

for throttling issues, I have no concern since I only use it for normal media/internet consumption. the main selling point of Surface for me is its mobility, the pen/touch support and 2 in 1 features that cannot be attained by just having a laptop. if gaming is your thing / heavy duty computing then this is not the device for you. that's why you have the gaming laptop category right?

with regards to the "teething issues" these were all fixed with regular software updates. all of those that were reported are already fixed and I dont think this will reoccur with the newest line of Surface products.

ocping

Reaction score
Hmm does that mean overheating?

Anybody have recommendations of sexy looking alternatives? I'm not a power hungry user. Just web, email, Office, photos, movies and the occasional strategy game.

If you wanna play games, better get the in-betweens which aren't heavy but also have discrete graphics.

Lenovo 710S

Asus UX310UQ

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I never really mentioned anything bad about SP4 if you did not realize, and the point is that each of the issues were reported and not something that I cooked up. For example, battery life and random shutdowns, are they not teething issues to you? Taking the battery issue previously, I recalled it took MS months to get it resolved. What you don't mind, I think others have the right to know/ find out on their own and decide isn't it? I feel this is the purpose of forums to share opinion and information, although potential buyers should also make an effort to verify what is mentioned is accurate.

The Surface Pro series is a very pricey if not the priciest 2 in 1, which I think people needs to be aware of the issues for decision making. I may have gone beyond what I know, so I leave it to the buyers to decide since its not my money.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This may be true. However, with the quality of Apple products the bar is set very high and even the slightest flaws are noticed and reported upon. It is a highly competitive market, with consumers spending large sums on devices that they will use for years, so they should be made known of any fault however small. Apple has set the standard in terms of quality though I question functionality. I am torn between iPad Pro and Surface Pro. Reports, negative and positive, help me make an informed choice of where I spend my money.

I feel when a company sets a premium price on their product, they need to show why they are charging so. The expectation on the product will be higher when you charge a premium price, vice versa.

Anyway to your dilemma about getting the iPad Pro vs Surface Pro, I am not sure what you are planning to use the device for?

Cashew_Nut

Reaction score
Looking to use it just for MS Office, email, web, movies and music with the occasional low intensity game. I have had a MacBook Air for 7 years and to bo honest I have found that to be nothing more than a glorified phone. I hardly ever buy apps for it and just use it to view photos, surf web and send emails. So I'm crying out for a bit more functionality and thought SP might be good bet. I don't own a tablet, would love to but my iPhone kinda does everything I'd need a tablet to do.

My company uses PCs, I'm not a creative type and have no desire to be seen with an Apple product in Starbucks with hipster looking spectacles.
I feel when a company sets a premium price on their product, they need to show why they are charging so. The expectation on the product will be higher when you charge a premium price, vice versa.

Anyway to your dilemma about getting the iPad Pro vs Surface Pro, I am not sure what you are planning to use the device for?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.