View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 06:26 PM   #192
WussRedXLi
Great Supremacy Member

wuss, thanks for the recommendation.

so those 4 or 5 stage filtration system are not recommended?
I'm speaking under the context of human consumption and not for aquarist/reefers.

Not say not recommended, it depends on what are you after. In most cases, no need. I am not a super duper expert, but from what i have read and researched on, the only "issue" is soluble lead due to brass fittings excerbated by standing water (even approved brass fittings do suffer a bit from this) . However, folks, do read carefully that this is not due to PUB potable water, which indeed soluble lead is at extremely extremely low levels as per PUB water quality reports.
This affects pregnant women and infants, toddlers, kids right up to around their teens way way more than us adults.

Some may say that they don't want the kids to have fluorosis and want to really reduce the fluoride intake via tap water (they are already using fluoride free toothpastes, if you have kids before you'd know how nicely they'd swallow them toothpastes each and single time they brush their teeth...and mine brushes 4-5 times daily).
But our 0.4 ppm (same as 0.4 mg/L) PUB water average range is already pretty low and is much lower than what is thought to be able to let kids (0-6 yrs old) to get fluorosis. You can't get fluorosis after ~ age 7 btw, only affects when the permanent teeth are still growing in the gums.

Do you know that very high fluoride levels are detected in a fair number of Malaysian tea/soda beverages? (we do import such similar stuff in from MY)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3999019/

Pervalence of dental fluorosis in children in Singapore.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8833510

Prevalence and severity of dental fluorosis was assessed in 1739 Singaporean children aged 9, 12 and 16 yr in three different ethnic groups. All subjects had resided since birth in Singapore, which has a tropical climate. The water supply was fluoridated in 1957 at a level of 0.7 ppm. In this sample, mouth prevalence was 82.6%, tooth prevalence was 66.9%, the community fluorosis index was at 1.96; 9.2% of children had severe fluorosis and 26.2% had moderate fluorosis. There were no significant gender or racial differences.