Do u use water filter at home?

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
actually I used instapure F8 before.

there's no filtration at all. the TDS remain the same before and after filter.

I changed to a new filter and it remain the same.

The Zerowater options on Amazon is pretty ok. Just a wee more expensive than the faucets based ones, and it does get the TDS a bit low for my liking (that's another seperate story, not a biggie anyway) but it's pretty ok.

Anyway since you brought up Chromium, not really a big issue vs Lead. There is no real safe levels for lead exposure, though WHO pegged it at 10ppm for water. Over here in SG probably Chromium probably gets into our diets via boiling in stainless steel kettles etc, but really super low concentrations.

Actually for adults ingestion of lead via oral route, i don't think we'd see much of an issue with those researched levels. The issue is really for pregnant women, kids....coz over there lies the biggest effect.
However like i said, i'd be hard pressed if someone asks "can you see the effects of chronic ultra low level lead ingestion then?". Coz how do you prove that 2-4 IQ points drop? :zonia: And even then does it translate to something tangible in real life....academic results? $$$ earnings? It's Impossible to prove.

So....it's something like eating bak kwa, chao tar chicken wings, smoking...someone sure would quote that eg of his granduncle who is age 88 and been smoking for 70 years.
For all you know, there are toddlers who started smoking in other countries. ;)

abc_smoking_toddler_chairul_thg_110909_wmain.jpg

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
actually I used instapure F8 before.

there's no filtration at all. the TDS remain the same before and after filter.

I changed to a new filter and it remain the same.

The TDS meter is measuring things correctly, the issue is that people are using the meter wrongly. The Instapure solid carbon block does not remove/reduce the dissolved solids in the water. That is why it's called a Total Dissolved Solids meter. It is a close cousin to the EC or electrical conductivity meter.

A solid carbon block does not remove dissolved chlorides, bicarbonates etc. But specially manufacturered ones does remove things like lead, pharmaceuticals, heavy metals etc.... (effectiveness of each and every contaminant depends on how it's manufacturered)
The Instapure F8 that you are using is NSF-53 certified to v significantly reduce (like ~ 99%) a long list of contaminants.

Basically TDS is called Total Dissolved Solids is coz it is measuring all the dissolved minerals like chlorides and stuff.
For eg, your mineral water is actually very good water without contaminants and good tasting. But if you use a TDS meter, it'd be quite elevated. Some mineral water measure over 200 ppm and i have seen 300-400 range. :eek:
The TDS of water only tells you a small part of the whole story.
However, when used in very specific usage areas, eg in the Zerowater resin ion-exchange filtration systems, it can tell you when it is really time to change the filter.

The TDS of your water only gives you a small window on the water quality of the water. It's used as a secondary indicator in water quality tests.

Pls watch this video. They dropped 500,000 copies of bacteria (shd be E-coil) into 001ppm distilled water and it barely rose to just 7 ppm on the TDS meter. That number of bacteria copies would really land anybody in hospital.

(scroll down in this product listing for the video, enable your Adobe Flash when prompted if you click on the video area)
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3-c.w4002-9016039300.12.xRv4sA&id=545871494098

Or use the youku link :
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTUxOTY5MTM2MA==.html?spm=a2h0k.8191407.0.0&from=s1.8-1-1.2

Google :
E.coli > 大肠杆菌,大肠埃希杆菌(Escherichia coli)

VX7ZqJG.jpg

bwPzgGX.jpg

And the world's cleanest/purest water @ 0.0 ppm absolute zero TDS is really very lousy tasting + GROSS.

BTW, pls also do not be smoked and mislead by this type of hocus pocus test of them trying to electrically precipitate the "contaminiation" out of your tap water with say 100ppm TDS.

Video link : http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTI3O...91423.module_basic_relation.5~5!2~5~5!7~5~5~A

GvPSIaI.jpg
cWQdemX.jpg
jExdvGv.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
geez didn't know the TDS is just 1 part of checking the quality of the water.

my impression is that the chlorine in the water is good enough to kill the bacteria, hence boiling is not even necessary.

my filtered water by Zerowater in fact taste quite good.

after trying Zerowater, I can't stand the taste of tap water, even boiled 1.

so wuss, thou not important, may I ask what is the TDS reading for your filtered water?

I'm not sure whether I would be disappointed with the taste after I switched to these canister filter.

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
geez didn't know the TDS is just 1 part of checking the quality of the water.

my impression is that the chlorine in the water is good enough to kill the bacteria, hence boiling is not even necessary.

my filtered water by Zerowater in fact taste quite good.

after trying Zerowater, I can't stand the taste of tap water, even boiled 1.

so wuss, thou not important, may I ask what is the TDS reading for your filtered water?

I'm not sure whether I would be disappointed with the taste after I switched to these canister filter.

Indeed there is not much bacteria in our water. This is the data that PUB would certify right up to our rooftop water storage tanks point for our HDBs.
So what is left is the short distance of pipes from the rooftop to our homes. So it will be very safe in practice, in most cases.
I know that homes that are like less than 20 metres above sea-level gets water directly from the ground pipes, but that's another story.

Water testing parameters for water storage tanks.
https://www.pub.gov.sg/compliance/watersupplyservices/waterstoragetanks
oJDRCK4.jpg

Small amts of bacteria present no issue. However solid carbon blocks harbour bacteria growth quite easily, followed by GAC and then other filter media. So that is why even if say you just run about 10 litres worth of water (eg 50ml per day) through the filter for about 7 months, it still is high time to change the filter despite the solid carbon block filter still having ample remaining capacity. That's the reason why Manufacturers spec between 3-6 months replacement periods.
The possible bacteria biofilm growth is really more on the exterior portions of the block. Remember that the chlorine is already vastly adsorbed and the chloramine is also quite reduced, post filter.

Not sure if you have seen the PUB water data. Tekong does seem to use monochloramine, maybe coz the waterworks and consumer point-of-use distances at the SAF camps are not large?
https://www.pub.gov.sg/Documents/WQ2016.pdf

I don't have experience with the low TDS options like nanofiltration, ion exchange resins, RO, distillers. So i am not sure what kind of taste are you after, that flat taste possibly a wee bit acidic of very low TDS water, or the normal water taste but nicely filtered with CTO solid carbon blocks. CTO stands for Chlorine, Taste, Odour.

Guess you'd just need to try things out.

frankiefearless

Reaction score
I work in an industrial area and my water has been crazily bad. Got a kettle in my office and even after I boil it, the water is brownish. It is damn obvious. Dont know if its either lead or rust. I see already also dont dare drink. Wanted to install a tap filter but many are pricey and I dont want china ones also. Then my friend intro me this brand called Filtech, Singapore brand. Bought their tap filter for $39.90 and replacement only $14.90 per few months. Now water looks so much better and taste nicer also dont know why. Those looking for affordable filters can check them out.

filtech.com.sg

LemonSalmon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I work in an industrial area and my water has been crazily bad. Got a kettle in my office and even after I boil it, the water is brownish. It is damn obvious. Dont know if its either lead or rust. I see already also dont dare drink. Wanted to install a tap filter but many are pricey and I dont want china ones also. Then my friend intro me this brand called Filtech, Singapore brand. Bought their tap filter for $39.90 and replacement only $14.90 per few months. Now water looks so much better and taste nicer also dont know why. Those looking for affordable filters can check them out.

filtech.com.sg

Why so cheap compared to those proper filtration system?

amihe

Reaction score

This is an awesome recommendation!
I was looking at the Woder 10K gallon under sink as it can last up to 3 years! However, I'll have to find a 1/2 to 3/8 supply line and am wary that if they don't fit, I'll have to spend time running up and down to the hardware store.

I have been looking for a fluoride filter but gave up as I thought it could only be done by a RO system and am not happy with the water wastages.

Hence I'm really happy to come across your post. My concern is if the faucet adaptor will fit those in sg. Mine is a basic kitchen faucet found in our neighbourhood shop. I'm not sure how to measure the size.

Another not too important factor is I find the Home Master housing expensive. Saw the EcoSoft one for much less but there are feedbacks about rubber scent from the rubber tubing. I'm not yet comfortable buying from Taobao(can't read much chinese). If you have any suggestions, I'd be grateful if you'd share.

Also regarding it is not NSF certified. The company have this to say,
"We do not NSF certify the filters, because they are a niche product and its cost would make the filter unaffordable. However the filtration media going into them is NSF certified. Here are the listings:
The carbon in the mixed media filter http://info.nsf.org/Certified/DWTU/Listings.asp?Company=C0022489&Standard=042
The KDF85 media in the mixed media filter http://info.nsf.org/Certified/DWTU/Listings.asp?Company=37980&Standard=042
Also, our company - Perfect Water Technologies - is an NSF Listed company: http://info.nsf.org/Certified/Commo...ame=Perfect+Water+Technologies,+Inc.&x=6&y=12
We can send you some test strips at no charge to use as a surrogate indicator of overall system performance.

I'm sold. 85% I'll get this.
Thanks again WussRedXLi.
I said again because you contributed to my decision to purchase a Honeywell air-filter many years ago. :)

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No problem...glad that it is of help.
Though i am not concerned about fluoride concentration here. Go google green tea and some beverages, they have many times higher fluoride levels naturally.

Housing can go TB find. Some are high quality and purportedly NSF-42. Use the polypropylene ones, slightly safer than the AS material ones (the transparent ones). But seriously both can use, no biggie.
You might wanna enlist the help of some 3rd party forwarders with buyforme service ie they help yoy buy. Like for eg camilize.com which i sometimes use.

Buy the SUS304 kitchen faucet from TB...also can...will fit. Might not be truly 304 as labelled and advertised, but 301 also can. How to do that...have to do some DIY homework liao.

Last edited:

amihe

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't visited TB for years because I couldn't read many chinese words(ashamed as I'm half chinese). However at yr recommendations, I hopped over and it's nice that Chrome has an option to translate the page! I felt cheated I got my sink faucet at $30ish dollars at my neighbourhood CK store when these better ones could be had for $10 bucks!

I used to work in a state that do not add fluoride to their water and noticed some 'well-being' differences but of course it could be due to other factors such as air quality or diet as well. Btw it's also true that I get more cavities while working there:( I also rarely drink anything else other than water and home brew coffee with either rice or almond milk. However it's not a must-have, I just thought might as well explore if fluoride filter makes any diff to my well-being now. If it doesn't, I can switch to less expensive 10" filters after 3 months.

However, I now face a dilemma over using a counter-top housing. Perhaps I'll list out my uses and hear if you have any suggestions.

I'm installing it at an enrichment centre for primary school children.
Estimated use 25 liters/day(generally filling up their water bottles)

I noticed the diverter valve is at the sprout. Our faucets usually could only withstand on average a year of assault due to the kids rough swinging of the sprout left and right(Sometimes we just replaced the rubber rings, gasket etc on the stem of the sprout). I'm concern that the kids will apply pressure in other directions while turning the valve on & off eg. while turning the valve to tap water, they may apply downward force pulling the whole sprout downwards and damaged the seal over time.

Are there counter-tops with the 'on/off-valve' on the filter unit itself? If it exists, I could get a double-headed faucet and attach one head to the filter unit and leave it permanently on 'on position' at the tap and control the flow from the filter'.

I searched through the counter-top housings on Amazon and couldn't find any. Went back through some of your posts and found this you posted earlier. The main picture shows an 'on/off knob' at the base of the sprout which is what I wanted but all the items selling on the page doesn't have that. Any ideas?

https://world.taobao.com/item/19174164993.htm?fromSite=main

Roger Ng

Reaction score
water purifier

Our tap water should be safe to drink. Addition of chlorine in water should killed most bacteria so boiling may not necessary. Just that nowadays people want healthier choice. So other water options such as alkaline water, hydrogen water etc has a lot of following too. I myself bought a alkaline water system and used for about 2 years. Felt good. The water taste better, and my kids fell sick less often too.
The alkaline water is from Hyflo marketing that cost about $700+, quite reasonable price i think as most other brand cost above $1000. So go check it out. Personally I feel worth it coz work out to just about 5 cents a little, much cheaper than bottled water.

Last edited:

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just bought the philips wp3861 cartridge refill from taobao.

Installed one last year cause my kitchen tap water cloudy . we changed tap also cloudy and metallic smell after boiling water. Cause that time got ezbuy prime. Ran out of filter cartridge already.

I Haven't tried drinking from the unfiltered side to see if the problem cleared up on hdb end or the water supply pipe from hdb to my flat is the rusty one.

Also got some 10 stage shower water purifer filter thing from lazada a month ago. Can feel that my hair is softer and drop less. Some of my family members said the same thing.Now no need to use that much conditioner already.

MaoZeDuo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Jqd9xkN.jpg

Any chance someone has been using this? My wife and mil have been using this for years... scared they not use to drinking “other” water so doing my research now before moving in to our new home...

Any recommendations? I saw a few posts about diy own filter system from amazon... is it better in terms of costs over time or quality?

MaoZeDuo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A8ziUSR.jpg

5XnAGjS.jpg

I kinda like this... but seriously duno anything about its functions and the diff between the 2 types lol

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.