$700 Tab For A Normal De-Scaling

BaileysMT

Reaction score
Anyone has any good recommendation for vet in the east. Recently my dog did a normal de-scaling at Animal Practice Vet Clinic, 1015 Upper Serangoon Road, i got charged for almost $700. Ridiculous.
Thanks..

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why dont you show us the itemized invoice? $700 seems quite cheap to me :o

BaileysMT

Reaction score
Why dont you show us the itemized invoice? $700 seems quite cheap to me :o

Lycan, I hope you are not from Animal Practice Vet Clinic or other similar Clinic.

Animal Practice Vet Clinic not only charged me $700 for my dog's Dental, they also charged me $150 for expired meds.

Unfortunately I can post any pics. Else i'm more than willing to share.

I'm taking this up with CASE currently.

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lycan, I hope you are not from Animal Practice Vet Clinic or other similar Clinic.

Animal Practice Vet Clinic not only charged me $700 for my dog's Dental, they also charged me $150 for expired meds.

Unfortunately I can post any pics. Else i'm more than willing to share.

I'm taking this up with CASE currently.

Hahaha no...wont wanna work in Singapore and deal with cheapskate owners that scream bloody murder each time they have to pay for vet medicine.

I have done dentals costing >$1000 if they are Grade 4 requiring extractions, by all means go to CASE or the SVA but I think you are wasting your time.

Dentals in pets require

1) Physical exam (you are paying for your vet's expertise)
2) Sedation (medicine to make your pet drowsy so they dont use more GA)
3) Cather (a device for giving fluids, skin needs to be clipped then cleaned first)
4) Induction (the initial drugs for GA)
5) Maintenance (gas GA with oxygen)
6) Scale and polish (getting rid of the calculus, makes the dog breath smell nice)
7) Intravenous fluids
8) Probing the teeth (checking for gingival recession)
9) Flushing the gingival sulcus (this is why dentals need to be performed under GA, it hurts alot and most so called anesthesia free dental cant really get to the bacteria in the gingival sulcus)

The above does not include extractions which take a long time if the tooth is firmly attached to the bone. As you can see, there is alot involved in doing a dental.

lifeishard

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone has any good recommendation for vet in the east. Recently my dog did a normal de-scaling at Animal Practice Vet Clinic, 1015 Upper Serangoon Road, i got charged for almost $700. Ridiculous.
Thanks..

hmm, you din ask for price beforehand?

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hmm must know your breed, what test Was done.
How many teeth remove?

Next time you can try the one don't use GA which is much cheaper.

Last edited:

silverlast

Master Member
Reaction score
I paid $500 for scaling and extraction of 10 teeth as my dog had bad dental problem previously.

Before this, I did a full blood test like a body check up to make sure he is good to go for the op. That costed me around 150.

My dog vet is Dr. Shereen from Vets for Pets.

BaileysMT

Reaction score
hmm, you din ask for price beforehand?

Yes, quote was 700 for blood test and Dental.
I opted out from blood test, but still ended up $700.
I have 2014 , 2015 n 2017 records / receipts.
Seems like i'm being charged double for Dental.

BaileysMT

Reaction score
Hahaha no...wont wanna work in Singapore and deal with cheapskate owners that scream bloody murder each time they have to pay for vet medicine.

I have done dentals costing >$1000 if they are Grade 4 requiring extractions, by all means go to CASE or the SVA but I think you are wasting your time.

Dentals in pets require

1) Physical exam (you are paying for your vet's expertise)
2) Sedation (medicine to make your pet drowsy so they dont use more GA)
3) Cather (a device for giving fluids, skin needs to be clipped then cleaned first)
4) Induction (the initial drugs for GA)
5) Maintenance (gas GA with oxygen)
6) Scale and polish (getting rid of the calculus, makes the dog breath smell nice)
7) Intravenous fluids
8) Probing the teeth (checking for gingival recession)
9) Flushing the gingival sulcus (this is why dentals need to be performed under GA, it hurts alot and most so called anesthesia free dental cant really get to the bacteria in the gingival sulcus)

The above does not include extractions which take a long time if the tooth is firmly attached to the bone. As you can see, there is alot involved in doing a dental.

You're a vet. Let me try to upload the receipt. I'm no expert. Comparing the receipt from 2014/15 and 17, it seems like the prices r overly inflated.
I know that normal dental cost is about $300 odd. Even previous receipts shows that it cost about $300 odd..
i wasn't told that my dog has "huge problem" so no diff from previous dental.
As explained, there's no blood test, there's no medication, no extraction.
My dog is 4 yrs old, 23kg. No diff from 2014 in terms of weight.

Just before Dental, i was charged $150 for expired medicine. Previous years, i was given 250mg Clavet for 10 days. This year they gave me 500mg for 20days (expired). Again, weight of my dog is the same..

I'm not the only one complaining about Animal Practice Vet Clinic. Some of my other friends already stopped visiting them, which i just got to know.

BaileysMT

Reaction score
I paid $500 for scaling and extraction of 10 teeth as my dog had bad dental problem previously.

Before this, I did a full blood test like a body check up to make sure he is good to go for the op. That costed me around 150.

My dog vet is Dr. Shereen from Vets for Pets.

Thanks Silverlast. Your total cost for full blood test and 10 extraction cost $700, same cost as my ONLY dental cost. No extraction, no blood test, no meds.

Sorry i am cheapskate

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You're a vet. Let me try to upload the receipt. I'm no expert. Comparing the receipt from 2014/15 and 17, it seems like the prices r overly inflated.
I know that normal dental cost is about $300 odd. Even previous receipts shows that it cost about $300 odd..
i wasn't told that my dog has "huge problem" so no diff from previous dental.
As explained, there's no blood test, there's no medication, no extraction.
My dog is 4 yrs old, 23kg. No diff from 2014 in terms of weight.

Just before Dental, i was charged $150 for expired medicine. Previous years, i was given 250mg Clavet for 10 days. This year they gave me 500mg for 20days (expired). Again, weight of my dog is the same..

I'm not the only one complaining about Animal Practice Vet Clinic. Some of my other friends already stopped visiting them, which i just got to know.
I am curious, why you say the meds were expired? Yea please show the itemized invoice, I am curious as to what was charged.

If you think the Animal Practice Vet Clinic is overcharging you, then find a new vet, it what I would recommend

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
try not to send ur dog to Scaling too much le.
it use GA.. not good le.

since u sending like once a year.. try those Scaling without GA one (if ur dog wont bite ppl)

Thanks Silverlast. Your total cost for full blood test and 10 extraction cost $700, same cost as my ONLY dental cost. No extraction, no blood test, no meds.

Sorry i am cheapskate

BaileysMT

Reaction score
I am curious, why you say the meds were expired? Yea please show the itemized invoice, I am curious as to what was charged.

If you think the Animal Practice Vet Clinic is overcharging you, then find a new vet, it what I would recommend

Tried uploading but failed cos i am newbie.

My dog was spitting out phlegm, so this was the first visit:

1 Noroclav INJ-Large 20-30kg 29.96
1 consult Standard 32.10
1 PH Test 16.05
Total 78.11
Tax 5.11

A day later:

40 Clavet 500MG Tablet 138.15
1 Noroclav inj-med 10-20kg 24.61
1 consult(2) short 21.40
Total 184.16
Tax 12.05

40 Clavet they gave me manufactured in 2014, ALL EXPIRED in feb 2017. Only realised quite late. This is to prepare for the dental 2 weeks after.

My dog actually got better after 1st injection. PH shows that it's not coming from stomach or lung or whatever. Vet says it could be bacteria from teeth causing him to spit phlegm. Question is, does it warrant a 40 Clavet 500MG dosage? Previously they only gave 10 Clavet 250MG.

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tried uploading but failed cos i am newbie.

My dog was spitting out phlegm, so this was the first visit:

1 Noroclav INJ-Large 20-30kg 29.96
1 consult Standard 32.10
1 PH Test 16.05
Total 78.11
Tax 5.11

A day later:

40 Clavet 500MG Tablet 138.15
1 Noroclav inj-med 10-20kg 24.61
1 consult(2) short 21.40
Total 184.16
Tax 12.05

40 Clavet they gave me manufactured in 2014, ALL EXPIRED in feb 2017. Only realised quite late. This is to prepare for the dental 2 weeks after.

My dog actually got better after 1st injection. PH shows that it's not coming from stomach or lung or whatever. Vet says it could be bacteria from teeth causing him to spit phlegm. Question is, does it warrant a 40 Clavet 500MG dosage? Previously they only gave 10 Clavet 250MG.
What is this PH test? Also, how do you know the tablets expired? Normally the expiry date is on the box itself not on the tablets. Did the vet tell you what grade of dental disease it was?

Antibiotics normally not warranted in dental disease unless its severe like a Grade 4 with clinical signs such as inappetance

BaileysMT

Reaction score
What is this PH test? Also, how do you know the tablets expired? Normally the expiry date is on the box itself not on the tablets. Did the vet tell you what grade of dental disease it was?

Antibiotics normally not warranted in dental disease unless its severe like a Grade 4 with clinical signs such as inappetance

My dog spitted phlegm when he was there, so the vet took out a very small strip of PH paper, dip into the phlegm to test. Then told me it's not coming from stomach or lungs.

Dates are written on the meds itself.

No the vet did not tell me anything unusual. My dog is only 4 years old, and i send him for dental yearly. I use synergy lab dental fresh daily for my dog. Every year, before dental procedure, the vet will dispense Clavet. Used to be 250MG x 10 but changed to 500 x 20. Vet says meds will kill / minimise the bacteria before dental procedure.

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anesthesia may kill a dog. It not always good to keep giving Anesthesia. Saw a dog go scaling and never wake up again.

Everything in life may kill you lah. If u don't look after your dog's oral hygiene then no choice have to do dental which requires GA.

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My dog spitted phlegm when he was there, so the vet took out a very small strip of PH paper, dip into the phlegm to test. Then told me it's not coming from stomach or lungs.

Dates are written on the meds itself.

No the vet did not tell me anything unusual. My dog is only 4 years old, and i send him for dental yearly. I use synergy lab dental fresh daily for my dog. Every year, before dental procedure, the vet will dispense Clavet. Used to be 250MG x 10 but changed to 500 x 20. Vet says meds will kill / minimise the bacteria before dental procedure.
I'm starting to question what your vet did, bit suspicious with the pH strip. I wonder what was the vet testing for? As far as I know, testing of bodily fluids that is not blood or urine for its pH is not something established in veterinary medical literature.

Unless your dog has really bad dental disease, antibiotics should not be given. Again I'm not the attending vet so I don't know how bad the teeth are. Maybe find a new vet?

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
no ppl will send dog do yearly scailing with Anesthesia de.
the most is every few year. somemore he got brush teeth le..

Everything in life may kill you lah. If u don't look after your dog's oral hygiene then no choice have to do dental which requires GA.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.