Need advise on Homeplug / Powerline Ethernet

kevinlaikf

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I had heard of many poor reviews on HomePlug/PowerLine in my workplace.
I suspect they probably are non-IT techies..

Probably HWZ experts here are more reliable source of information.

1) Homeplug work best in network within the same MCB (Miniature Circuit Breaker), but do they work across different MCB?

2) Poor performance in household with many cornice throw-down lighting (too many 12V step down convertors)

3) Network may open to neighbours power grid.

Are above statement true?

Lastly, do recommend a sure-to-work Ethernet-only homeplug model.

TIA

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

1) Homeplug work best in network within the same MCB (Miniature Circuit Breaker), but do they work across different MCB?

2) Poor performance in household with many cornice throw-down lighting (too many 12V step down convertors)

TIA

Homeplugs work as long as the units are within the same electrical network. Likewise for a building, there could be many home plugs users and all are sharing the same pipeline. As long as I have the encryption code to a particular home plug, i could potentially unlock the information sent. Homeplugs are secured to a certain extent, in which people around you can see you but they can't read you as its encrypted.

Homeplugs offer convenience, but definitely not the best option out there..

musicsg_com

Reaction score

TIA

There are too many unknowns on homeplugs to be reliable. I bought a pair of cheap Aztech AV500 to test out many years ago, I managed only 80Mbps on average, which was still cheaper than buying a good WiFi adapter for my desktop. Eventually, I upgraded to AV1200 homeplug and I get 120Mbps, which is decent given I had to plug to a extension cord due to space constraint. (I can get over 200Mbps if direct plug to wall).

Now, my setup is to use wireless extender, the D-Link DAP-1720 comes with a LAN port which I plug directly to my desktop and through this setup, my desktop achieves over 300Mbps.

My old Aztech homeplugs are still lying around, so if you want to try it out, let me know. If you can get more than 80Mbps, then you have a better wiring system then you can expect better performance when buying higher-spec homeplug like TP-LINK TL-WPA8730.

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I never had good experiences with home plugs. Only used 1-2 days and then sold it off.

The throughput is never consistent and this will hurt video streaming alot.

I ever tried testing it by plugging both pairs on the same power gang and that also gave poor performance.

moron+genius

Reaction score
I have 3 homeplugs and I get 100+ file transfer speed. One of it has a switch connected to it and a chromecast plug into the switch. Another has a laptop plugged in n I stream movies to chromecast w/o problem. Satisfied wif homeplugs. If u looking 4 blazing speed install cat6 cable else homeplugs r good 4 most use. Get the AV2 version.

quinnkei

Reaction score
It depends on your current house requirements.

Homeplug falls at the last option to get connectivity at one far point of the house.

CAT6 remains the top choice provided you willing to do cabling / trunking

I am using AV200 Homeplug to get connectivity as I dont like trunking but looking towards Velop or similar Mesh Wireless soon

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was using the RT-AC87U and EA-AC87U (media bridge mode) in my home before I decided to pull CAT6.

managed to get throughputs ard 300mbps in a my bedroom 2 rooms away from the router. The bedroom furthest away from the router gets around 100mbps. (vs ~30mbps if just purely wifi to the router)

So pretty decent improvement in wifi speeds imho.

But nothing can beat CAT6. After 10 years, I managed to convince my wife and I that we should prioritize function over form.

Last edited:

CyberMew

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
For me I'm getting 90Mbps down and 80Mbps up via Speedtest app (M1 connecting to StarHub test server) on a 1800Mbps AV2 homeplug. If wired or a new HDB could be higher.

xiaosinsinful

Banned
Reaction score
For best speed/reliability direct via cat6

For wireless vs Homeplug , I would say it depends on several factors.

1. location
when using wireless in the open without any blockage (i.e walls) wireless on 5Ghz band achieve around 185Mbps
In the room a wall away from the router 5Ghz not really usable/reliable 2.5Ghz at around 20Mbps. Using Apple Macbook Pro.
Home plug in room achieve around 100Mbps (both up and down).Using TP-Link 1000 Mbps 2-Port Gigabit Pass through Power line Adapter thru 2 extension cable (due to certain reasons I did not plug it straight into the wall) and a additional user at home also using the home plug at the same time.

2. homeplug work base on the circuit of the house so if your house has 2 different circuit might have a issue if homeplug are in 2 different circuits.

*test are not scientific just to showcase different use case scenarios

so if you are deciding whether to use home plug i guess you have to ask yourself the following.
1. Not possible or lazy to connect directly to router using lan cable.
2. location of device blocked/far away from access point hence wireless would be a bad idea

thats when homeplugs come in handly. Also if you are using homeplugs there are different kinds as well. Wireless homeplugs basically extend wireless signal into the room where the homeplug is located which isgood for point no. 2 if you need wireless in a room which has bad wireless signal. There is also one without wireless capabilities which is basically a extension of LAN into PC using your existing electrical infrastructure as cabling.so it bascially come down to the needs of the particular user to decide which type of homeplugs is needed

Last edited:

||||||||||

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There are too many unknowns on homeplugs to be reliable. I bought a pair of cheap Aztech AV500 to test out many years ago, I managed only 80Mbps on average, which was still cheaper than buying a good WiFi adapter for my desktop. Eventually, I upgraded to AV1200 homeplug and I get 120Mbps, which is decent given I had to plug to a extension cord due to space constraint. (I can get over 200Mbps if direct plug to wall).

Now, my setup is to use wireless extender, the D-Link DAP-1720 comes with a LAN port which I plug directly to my desktop and through this setup, my desktop achieves over 300Mbps.

My old Aztech homeplugs are still lying around, so if you want to try it out, let me know. If you can get more than 80Mbps, then you have a better wiring system then you can expect better performance when buying higher-spec homeplug like TP-LINK TL-WPA8730.

yah man, repeater still the best.

homeplugs depend a lot on the condition of your copper wires.

also if there's noise coming from AC motors that's connected to the power grid.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.