LG G6

chiaRH

Reaction score
so it turns out FV5 cant do long exposures on the G6, as in after the 1st successful shot it freezes

Frankly doubt this app is going to be G6-ready any time soon so I'm probably going to uninstall it. Quite a shame as it was a great app for my G4.

Good news is, bluetooth shutter works just fine for stock camera app so I can go back to using that for shooting fireworks.

chiaRH

Reaction score
So went to NDP rehearsal today, took position near promontory, just across the road from marina bay financial centre. Similar to last year, using ND 8 filter.

Wide Lens at ISO 50,10s
http://i.imgur.com/NhjAFTS.jpg

Normal Lens at ISO50, 8s
http://i.imgur.com/6UTChU6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/A5ftNnR.jpg

All my shots with the wide lens were sadly underexposed. That f/2.2 aperture is indeed bad for low light

And for comparison the G4 at last year NDP rehearsal
http://i.imgur.com/6KK3IuU.jpg

I... have to say I am disappointed with the G6 here, specifically its image processing.

http://i.imgur.com/IvTvlAc.jpg
See the white 'core' of the firework streaks? Its not a smooth white but theres so much processing artifacts

compare with G4
http://i.imgur.com/L2I6EW0.jpg

100% crop of another G6 shot
PHUI0vt.png

Here I'm starting to think LG really made a big mistake by using a smaller sensor and trying to compensate with too much processing.

Now here's the part I do not know: is it only an issue with the Stock app, or is it the raw sensor processing itself? The only other app I can use to take long exposures right now is Open Camera (provided I use manual focus and not autofocus) and its not so easy to test this out.

EDIT:
I think based on my wide angle shots, its a bit hard to tell but they dont seem to have the same artifact problem as the normal lens, not sure could it really be the normal camera's signal processing is having issues.

I have done a practical experiment to examine the camera behaviour:

#1. In dark room, display a long exposure of a fireworks on my monitor, then take a long exposure of it, I used this pic
http://www.9hdw.com/uploads/images/original/2013-05/871_yellow firework.jpg

#2. Play a youtube video of fireworks, then take a long exposure of the youtube video (this will show how the camera handles 'light painting' of bright objects in motion) I used this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTHkM5ZIBHk#t=36.175281

How my G6 handled the experiment (I shot using the same ISO 50, same 8s shutter and with the ND filter attached):

Static fireworks image: http://i.imgur.com/aHfDRzT.jpg

Fireworks video: http://i.imgur.com/Q5CnmNy.jpg

Look at the white portions of both photos. The static image looks fine. The long exposure of the video clip exhibits the same artifacting on the white portions. And yes it happens on all camera apps so definitely not a stock app issue.

I believe theres a threshold somewhere whereby if the shutter speed is too long, this kind of problem crops up (remember it only affects stuff in motion so bright things like car tail lights or fireworks). I tried the video thing again and even 4s exposures hit the issue.

Last edited:

deckcard

Master Member
Reaction score
Can't really see on my phone but is it long exposure artifacts? Maybe do a search on the internet

chiaRH

Reaction score
Can't really see on my phone but is it long exposure artifacts? Maybe do a search on the internet

No results found

The reality is, people who're willing to go to the trouble to shoot fireworks would use a real DSLR, not a DSLR wannabe like LG phones... so such scenarios of long exposure fireworks wont be common. Remember since the issue here is occurring on objects in motion, long exposures of static scenery at night wont have artifact problems

dont even talk about artifacts, try and google "LG G6 firework" you wont get a single hit

This is like really ironic cos like i already sold off a huawei P10 plus after being less than satisfied at its camera, turns out the phone that I got as a replacement, i.e this phone also now have its own issues :s22:

Wonder if I should just overcome my dislike for curved displays and finally go back to samsung next year lol

im still holding out some hope that someone will try the fireworks experiment and report no artifacting problems, then i can go to service centre and declare that my camera is defective

Last edited:

Bryson

Reaction score
Do you guys use steady record when video mode? Better to use or without? Pros and cons?

chiaRH

Reaction score
Do you guys use steady record when video mode? Better to use or without? Pros and cons?

thats the electronic image stabilization, but the main camera (not the wide one) already has OIS.

Some people say using both EIS and OIS gives more jelly wobble effect in the video but you have to try it for yourself to see if its a negative

deckcard

Master Member
Reaction score
No results found

The reality is, people who're willing to go to the trouble to shoot fireworks would use a real DSLR, not a DSLR wannabe like LG phones... so such scenarios of long exposure fireworks wont be common. Remember since the issue here is occurring on objects in motion, long exposures of static scenery at night wont have artifact problems

dont even talk about artifacts, try and google "LG G6 firework" you wont get a single hit

This is like really ironic cos like i already sold off a huawei P10 plus after being less than satisfied at its camera, turns out the phone that I got as a replacement, i.e this phone also now have its own issues :s22:

Wonder if I should just overcome my dislike for curved displays and finally go back to samsung next year lol

im still holding out some hope that someone will try the fireworks experiment and report no artifacting problems, then i can go to service centre and declare that my camera is defective

Are those pics taken in RAW? That would be the best way to avoid any post processing anomaly by LG but to DIY afterwards

chiaRH

Reaction score
Are those pics taken in RAW? That would be the best way to avoid any post processing anomaly by LG but to DIY afterwards

theyre jpeg. i dont have lightroom and I think even if I did, the effort to manually process that many photos is too much for me and if I were willing to go that far, would already be using a proper DSLR.

Im still doing further tests via the 'youtube video method' and it seems that at ISO 100 I cant see any noticeable artifacts on the white regions, who knows, it could be an issue with the way the phone does ISO50

Wv11fQt.png

Actually this method of taking a long exposure of a fireworks video in a dark room is a good way to trial and error your shutter speed to see how much of a firework burst you want to capture. However It's not a good way to gauge exposure since monitors wouldnt have the same brightness as a real firework.

Last edited:

alamakazim

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Use manual mode. If you only use auto, G6 is not for you.

I think alot of people don't know

but is still crappy lah... what u need to pump up iso and lower shutter speed...

what? u need a tripod ? :p

might as well get mirrorless camera

i think the above example of the firework is one of the shitty example of this camera

once I bought the g6.... I really curse..... the G4 is so much better

batboyz

Master Member
Reaction score
I think alot of people don't know

but is still crappy lah... what u need to pump up iso and lower shutter speed...

what? u need a tripod ? :p

might as well get mirrorless camera

i think the above example of the firework is one of the shitty example of this camera

once I bought the g6.... I really curse..... the G4 is so much better

The other way around. Not everytime will need a tripod, depends on condition. As you said, just get mirrorless cam then, don't bother with G6 cam, throw it away, get something which you think got better cam, don't waste time to curse. G6 is a manual camera device, not auto. If you want auto, you chose a wrong device, should use same song or pixel instead.

Last edited:

alamakazim

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The other way around. Not everytime will need a tripod, depends on condition. As you said, just get mirrorless cam then, don't bother with G6 cam, throw it away, get something which you think got better cam, don't waste time to curse. G6 is a manual camera device, not auto. If you want auto, you chose a wrong device, should use same song or pixel instead.

What manual bullshiiit...

This is just a normal general consumer smartphone

Cant take good selfies indoor...

The wide angle lens is abit too wide or should i say wrongly placed... Eg. Finger always appear on bottom of photo

The sound is good thats all

OddEye

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wah someone has been testing G6 camera to the max. Actually I do think it is pretty poor in high contrast light settings in Auto. Not sure about the manual as I rarely play with manual

kopi22

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

The wide angle lens is abit too wide or should i say wrongly placed... Eg. Finger always appear on bottom of photo

The sound is good thats all
Ok la. Samsung placed the fingerprint sensor too wrong as well but people are still forgiving. BTW how dark are the lowlight conditions?? Normal places with street lights or dark caves kind?? If caves kind of places tripod is required for sure. If street light conditions I'm sure G6 camera can handle.

I took these using V20 during the night. No tripod. Handheld but adjusted ISO and shutter speed by a bit.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskTxQWc7

Sent from LGE LG-H990 using GAGT

chiaRH

Reaction score

Like you said it s a 'normal general consumer phone', if you want "good" indoor selfie get a real camera and use it to take the selfie :s13:

Wah someone has been testing G6 camera to the max. Actually I do think it is pretty poor in high contrast light settings in Auto. Not sure about the manual as I rarely play with manual

IMO high contrast scenes will challenge every phone simply cos the small sensor wont be able to have good dynamic range. Thats why tricks like HDR come into play. Some phones like huawei ones try to use dual cam to improve dynamic range.

@kopi22 I wish the G6 had the V20's camera, but I think now with LG marketing the V series as the true flagship, the best camera hardware is gonna be reserved for V while the G merely gets 'similar software controls'. I dont really like phablets cos I use phones one-handed a lot, but size aside I prefer the V series to the G. Man when that V34 in japan came out i really wish it were international cos it was practically my dream LG phone

Last edited:

batboyz

Master Member
Reaction score

As you suggested yourself, get a real camera, don't use G6 camera. I would suggest to throw it away in longkang. End of story, the end.

Yes, its selfie came sux balls, don't use it. I don't use its selfie cam either. I use rear cam for selfie with my children.

This is user issue, since I don't encounter such issue.

If one doesn't like something, they can come up with hundreds/thousands of reasons to say it sucks. There is only one simple solution to that problem, throw it away to the sea, walk away, buy a new device you like, move on. The end.

kopi22

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Woah.... relax guys.... hahaha..... Everyone has their own opinions. No need to get so tensed up. :s13:

Just be cool, or it will ended up named as a "troll" just like how I was being called over at the HTC forum because I posted a vid of U11 with the fragile body..... :s22::s22:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.