[AMA] I am a veterinarian. Ask me anything :D

cokiee

Reaction score
Behavioural issues are diagnosis of exclusion. Meaning we put certain conditions down to behavioural problem only after exhausting all tests and treatment and can find nothing wrong with the animal.

I'd say bring your cat to a vet and try ruling out fleas, diet, endocrinopathy, etc

Ah I see. Got it, thanks! I do check them for fleas etc, but never thought about the endocrine issues. Pains me to see her licking her hair off :(

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX using GAGT

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
got two questions.

1. got a she-cat, one y.o, who just got diagnosed with asthma. local vet told me to fed her chicken soup all the time and mix Ketotifen tab in something and feed her daily. the problem is, both syrups and tablet derivatives aren't going to well with her, she thinks the tablet is bitter, which it is while she isn't accustomed to the weird, though sweet taste of the syrup, so what now? it's for life and that makes it harder. she's resisting really hard and i'm finding it really annoying and frustrating.

2. got a tomcat, who's like 3 and a half (must've been 5 months old when i took him in). he just got into some fight and got a hole in his skull. right above his right eye. i tried treating him with antibiotic and PVP-I and kept him on those for two days but he still ended up with a bad case of maggot infestation. so i cleaned the thing with hydrogen peroxide the moment i noticed the infestation and took him to the vet te next morning. he treated him with the same meds and now, i've replaced the cotton piece inside the wound the doc put there with a new one, soaked in PVP-I and now the piece is still there and it's been a day. will it get better if all i do is keep him on antibiotics and keep putting a new piece every day?
1) have you considered a nebuliser? Google Aerokat

2) Baring complications, the wound will heal eventually but it's in a sensitive spot and given how dirty the feline oral cavity can be, I think culturing the wound and surgical debriding is warranted. But since u already gave antibiotics, the culture may not be accurate

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Yo. My dog @ vet clinic now. We did a blood test. It show OK. But he got pancreatitis positive.

He had to be on iv drip.
Any idea take how long to check out?
Vet told me 3-7day stay in. I was a bit shock.

He look OK with no pain . Look normal lo.
Vet say need to monitor. But see he willing to eat? but my dog dont eat when he is outside. So how ah?
I dont want to let him stay @ clinic so long due to ex ex cost LOL
If i ask for ultrasound, if everything ok can request to check out a not?

Before that he did not eat whole day and vomit foam. At evening he vomit foam with blood. So far never see any poop. He had pancreatitis last time due to ibd.

Cant be because i add lamb into his diet than he got flark up ba?

Last edited:

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yo. My dog @ vet clinic now. We did a blood test. It show OK. But he got pancreatitis positive.

He had to be on iv drip.
Any idea take how long to check out?
Vet told me 3-7day stay in. I was a bit shock.

He look OK with no pain . Look normal lo.
Vet say need to monitor. But see he willing to eat? but my dog dont eat when he is outside. So how ah?
I dont want to let him stay @ clinic so long due to ex ex cost LOL
If i ask for ultrasound, if everything ok can request to check out a not?

Before that he did not eat whole day and vomit foam. At evening he vomit foam with blood. So far never see any poop. He had pancreatitis last time due to ibd.

Cant be because i add lamb into his diet than he got flark up ba?

Pancreatitis has no specific 'cure' just manage the symptoms until it runs its course. Beware though, it does predispose the patient to certain complications like diabetes in the long run

3-7 days sounds about right. Normally uncomplicated cases are ~ 3 days to recover. 7 days and longer with intensive care if there is complications.

Pancreatitis is very painful condition, pain is typically managed with fentanyl patches or methadone. Not surprised your pet appears 'normal' if the pain is well managed.

Can you stop trying to tell your vet what to do and just listen to him/her? If you dont trust your vet then find a new one.

Just hold off any fanciful new diet until this condition winds down. Usually after a bout of pancreatitis the patient has to be put on a very bland diet to recover

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
he press his stomach, he say not painful.
only check in because test show positive.
last time his Pancreatitis more seriously tht y i tot this time like just vomit + no pain no need to stay so long :)

told me by look external than see if can check out le..
what if he dont eat himself than he cant check out and stay there? $$ burn le.. 3day around 1.8K :s22:
my dog had a habit is, he dont eat anything outside unless at home :D

btw is lamb cause the problem?

btw how do u know it recover? i still need to do test meh?

Pancreatitis has no specific 'cure' just manage the symptoms until it runs its course. Beware though, it does predispose the patient to certain complications like diabetes in the long run

3-7 days sounds about right. Normally uncomplicated cases are ~ 3 days to recover. 7 days and longer with intensive care if there is complications.

Pancreatitis is very painful condition, pain is typically managed with fentanyl patches or methadone. Not surprised your pet appears 'normal' if the pain is well managed.

Can you stop trying to tell your vet what to do and just listen to him/her? If you dont trust your vet then find a new one.

Just hold off any fanciful new diet until this condition winds down. Usually after a bout of pancreatitis the patient has to be put on a very bland diet to recover

Last edited:

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Went to visit him. So far nothing much. Tml I will check him out.

No vomit, got sticky poop.
Give him food he eat but not the one vet give lol. Since it not 24hour. No choice had to stay one more day.

I think of getting him digestive enzymes for daily supplement. Good for him a not?

Last edited:

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
he press his stomach, he say not painful.
only check in because test show positive.
last time his Pancreatitis more seriously tht y i tot this time like just vomit + no pain no need to stay so long :)

told me by look external than see if can check out le..
what if he dont eat himself than he cant check out and stay there? $$ burn le.. 3day around 1.8K :s22:
my dog had a habit is, he dont eat anything outside unless at home :D

btw is lamb cause the problem?

btw how do u know it recover? i still need to do test meh?
Your dog is mess of medical problems, at this point I dont think its just diet related.

If you want to treat pancreatitis as outpatient, you may have to discuss with the vet your financial constraints and see what can be done

Recovery usually assessed by clinical signs; no more vomiting, more BAR patient, and able to hold food down

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Went to visit him. So far nothing much. Tml I will check him out.

No vomit, got sticky poop.
Give him food he eat but not the one vet give lol. Since it not 24hour. No choice had to stay one more day.

I think of getting him digestive enzymes for daily supplement. Good for him a not?

Digestive enzymes are usually harmless but speak with your vet first since he/she knows more about your dog's case

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
he discharge le..
nth much. only 1 vomit, 1 LS

now is back to normal.
sg vet love $, no $ no talk, he talk to me abt $$ $$ before hospitalize him.. wht u think

Your dog is mess of medical problems, at this point I dont think its just diet related.

If you want to treat pancreatitis as outpatient, you may have to discuss with the vet your financial constraints and see what can be done

Recovery usually assessed by clinical signs; no more vomiting, more BAR patient, and able to hold food down

Last edited:

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
he discharge le..
nth much. only 1 vomit, 1 LS

now is back to normal.
sg vet love $, no $ no talk, he talk to me abt $$ $$ before hospitalize him.. wht u think

Its the same every where lah, where got vets dont talk about $? You think advanced medical technology and drugs drop like manna from heaven? All vets have to charge for the medicine, overheads, salaries, etc.

Fooklee

Reaction score
pyoderma(Black heads) in dogs treatment

Hi,
My golden retriever suffered from pyoderma in dogs (black head on skin) May I know what is the best treatment for this type of skin problem. Someone says use Apple Cider vinegar (ACV), Coconut oil, tea-tree oil and Baking soda to make a mask to it. Do you think will it help. Your advise is appreciated.

Thx

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,
My golden retriever suffered from pyoderma in dogs (black head on skin) May I know what is the best treatment for this type of skin problem. Someone says use Apple Cider vinegar (ACV), Coconut oil, tea-tree oil and Baking soda to make a mask to it. Do you think will it help. Your advise is appreciated.

Thx

I think what will help is to go see the vet first to rule out other diseases

edweeena

Reaction score
Kitten not eating much

Hi,
recently found 2 kittens about 2 weeks ago.
vet estimate them to be around 4-6weeks?

Both were doing ok, until Monday, my little ginger boy began to eat lesser food (usually they finish whatever i put on the bowl clean)

however, he is still very active (always fighting with the other one -_-) and is pooping.

last night, gave him KMR for last meal and he finished.

this morn i gave him new canned food, he ate (though not all) but at least 3/4
this afternn, fed him same food, he sniffed and did not eat at all.

any reason why? now im in between wondering if he is just picky or sick...

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,
recently found 2 kittens about 2 weeks ago.
vet estimate them to be around 4-6weeks?

Both were doing ok, until Monday, my little ginger boy began to eat lesser food (usually they finish whatever i put on the bowl clean)

however, he is still very active (always fighting with the other one -_-) and is pooping.

last night, gave him KMR for last meal and he finished.

this morn i gave him new canned food, he ate (though not all) but at least 3/4
this afternn, fed him same food, he sniffed and did not eat at all.

any reason why? now im in between wondering if he is just picky or sick...

If he appears bright, alert, responsive and playful then I'd think its more likely picky eater. Dont keep changing the food and just try to stick to one brand. Enforce a strict diet time and dont feed treats.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.