Did badly for my Poly Mid Term Semester Test T_T

lihuang97

Reaction score
I just enter Singapore Poly this year. I did well for my higher nitec, and i skip yr 1. So, I'm currently a year 2 student. F*k up big time for my Mid term semester test only pass 2/4 module not include elective module. Totally regret my decision of not going to yr 1. Initally wanted to go yr 1 but my parents DIE DIE DIE want me to go year 2. So now i left with only 1 options is to get a B+ above for my 2 failed module for my upcoming End Semester Test. What if i failed 1 module which is Maths, will i still able to proceed to yr 3 or i have to retake the module? Anyone have suggestion/tips to motivate oneself to study? I lose my motivation in studying ever since i left ITE. TBH, in ITE there is only 2-3 Module in one term and poly 7-8module wtf? I struggle everyday in study, as my classmates seems to fairly know what the lecturer taught them in class. Anyone here from SP can share some study tips/tricks. My goal is to graduate poly without repeating any module since i left about 1.5yr.

Last edited:

SotongLove

Banned
Reaction score
I have Poly classmates who graduated from ITE who have problem with Maths. I guess Poly Maths is a big jump for ITE students. I do not know about SP's practice about retaking mods. But NYP's practice is that,if you fail one module,you can be allowed to go to the following year. But you have to retake the mod. If the failed mod can fit into your next timetable,then you are good. If not,you will have to spend one sem to study that mod,resulting in graduating one sem later than your peers.

Examples of motivation is setting a target/future plan for yourself. It's all about the mindset. You could write out all your targets and plans,but if you don't strictly follow it,you slack off. Maths is a subject whereby you need practice. Practice and practice. Try out all the past year papers.

Sent from LGE LG-H860 using GAGT

geeniee

Reaction score
Mid sem test is really just one of the many components of each module. Try to do well for your other assessments, such as projects, quizzes and the final exam if any. It will be hard to pull it up to a decent grade of A or B, but if you don't want to delay graduation, you have to pass the module at the very least.

Similar to NYP - TP can continue with the next sem, but you must retake the module in the next semester. For Math, it runs every semester here in TP so there's more likely there will be a lecture and tutorial slot that fits your timetable. If you have to retake too many modules, they will eventually just put you with the next batch. Happened to one guy in my batch, and we had one other guy from our senior's batch joining us as well.

There's really no study tips/tricks to me, but I think its very dependent on your course as well. Some more hands-on courses that has labs or practicums, possibly easier to score. Some are just hardcore memorising and exam-based, so for those is just study and study and study. I personally strive to get good grades by ensuring all my assignments and projects are of the A standard according to the rubrics as much as possible - whether eventually really get A or not I wouldn't know, but at least I tried to make it the best that I can. My course belongs to the second type, so when exam comes, everyone is just hardcore mugger, but it works. Attempt the past year papers if possible - usually the question type won't vary very much, sometimes MCQ even come out the exact same questions. :s13:

rollanddie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm in year 1 poly now, from ite as well. The maths is indeed tough for me even at year 1.

What course are you in btw?

Don't give up!

Wonderstruck

Reaction score
Yes SP also allows you to retake the module you failed ONCE, in which a pass/fail grade will be given iirc. If you fail the second time, the school would consider expelling you unless you have exceptional reasons as to why they should allow you to retake your module again.

inkmypapers

Reaction score
Motivation to study is not the easiest to find, especially since you find the course difficult as well.

What motivates you in real life? Earning money to travel/buy a nice car/house? Stable job to feed the family? Or relax and games?

Next, can studying hard put you closer to the ultimate goal?

I have a friend who is going through the pilot course to be a pilot at Scoot. He finds the engineering topics difficult, but it's easy for him to put in numerous hours to study everyday so he can pass the test. Afterall, if he becomes a first officer/pilot, it is a good career for life.

liffibubbles

Reaction score
Yes SP also allows you to retake the module you failed ONCE, in which a pass/fail grade will be given iirc. If you fail the second time, the school would consider expelling you unless you have exceptional reasons as to why they should allow you to retake your module again.

Isn't this how it works for all polys?

Fail once -> Retake -> Still fail -> GG

Greent

Reaction score
Working adult here but once an ITE students for 4 yrs (NTC + Higher Nitec).

Study in NYP from 2007-2009 , also skip half a year as my GPA don't allow me to go direct 2 year. Everything seen easy as the math still ok ok la C/C+ grade
but kana this **** Engineering mechanic 2 and fail 2 times ( i from EM3/ tech class so physic background) until 3rd time the marker think he close 1 eye and pass me with D as i already in final year and completed my FYP so no point hold me back.

As how to study, in my view is study smart not hard. Try to disturb your sensei or your kaki (those gina ppls) for tips and trick.

Don't give up man. Once done and u never want to look back

By the way i already 34 this year and my classmate always call me UNCLE xD

perfectlight

Reaction score
Im from sp, i jump from nitec to polytechnic. even harder, all my friends die-ing, those from higher nitec ones still ok[this year, year one], your biggest decision was to jump to year 2. its like jump to hell, best is to focus everyday in class. during exam period, sleep in school and study. sp audition and fc5 every est period got people sleep and study, u better do so

NamelessGuy

Reaction score
Help

I'm from nitec and jumped to year 2 of higher nitec and I just got my result for 3rd term which is 4. For the 4th term I am doing my IA. I scare my gpa will drop during IA. Will my IA gpa affect my overall gpa to poly. JPAE said

All ITE graduating students seeking admission to full-time polytechnic diploma courses should apply using the cumulative GPA in their 3rd semester of study. In most cases, this GPA is sufficiently indicative of the student's academic performance for the polytechnics' consideration. However, the guarantee of a place in one of the mapped polytechnic diploma courses is only valid when DPP students attain the required raw qualifying GPA (excluding CCA bonus points) upon completion of their Higher Nitec course.

perfectlight

Reaction score
I'm from nitec and jumped to year 2 of higher nitec and I just got my result for 3rd term which is 4. For the 4th term I am doing my IA. I scare my gpa will drop during IA. Will my IA gpa affect my overall gpa to poly. JPAE said

All ITE graduating students seeking admission to full-time polytechnic diploma courses should apply using the cumulative GPA in their 3rd semester of study. In most cases, this GPA is sufficiently indicative of the student's academic performance for the polytechnics' consideration. However, the guarantee of a place in one of the mapped polytechnic diploma courses is only valid when DPP students attain the required raw qualifying GPA (excluding CCA bonus points) upon completion of their Higher Nitec course.

better don't jump to year 2 poly. u will suffer a lot.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.