Men's Formal Work Bag Recommendation

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mostly cost a few thousand and above.

Went to check out bottega bags. Small one cost close to $5k and large one full leather one with partial crocodile leather costs $10k. Asked saleslady how long can bottega bags last under normal usage she say about 10 over years.

Previously had a mr porter bag which didnt last long, spoilt just after the warranty period i think and costs alot to repair even a small part because they dont have service centre in sg have to send back taiwan. No choice got to throw it away and never buy this brand again.

As my current bag is in bad shape, ended up just pulled trigger on a renoma bag for $150 at 50% discount. Wonders how long it can last.

nightawl

Reaction score
Went to check out bottega bags. Small one cost close to $5k and large one full leather one with partial crocodile leather costs $10k. Asked saleslady how long can bottega bags last under normal usage she say about 10 over years.

Previously had a mr porter bag which didnt last long, spoilt just after the warranty period i think and costs alot to repair even a small part because they dont have service centre in sg have to send back taiwan. No choice got to throw it away and never buy this brand again.

As my current bag is in bad shape, ended up just pulled trigger on a renoma bag for $150 at 50% discount. Wonders how long it can last.

Wow! I thought only female handbags reach such astronomical prices, didn't know men's briefcases could go up to 5 digits too. For that price I could probably make one out of full shell cordovan even... What other premium leather brands are there for men?

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wow! I thought only female handbags reach such astronomical prices, didn't know men's briefcases could go up to 5 digits too. For that price I could probably make one out of full shell cordovan even... What other premium leather brands are there for men?

Actually i feel its overpriced. I know another brand Bally selling their tedal MD bag at $1.5k when i went to check out last year.

Silverback84

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oic.... where you get it from? :)

S$350 from taiwan.

https://www.ll-porter.com/product/new-heat/11419-06205

cdead92f-be98-4497-a89e-e9b7353e835b.jpg

Presto80

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any recommendation of bags that are not so heavy, either tote, messenger or brief kind?
thank you

jeffprobst

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any good weekender, boston or holdall to recommend? wanted something that look formal and can bring to gym.

saw tumi voyagur bag but realised they are for female.

Last edited:

gravity_infinity

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words! Unfortunately mine would not be cheap either, starting around $900 and up. This briefcase took me over 80 hours to make, and does not include time for researching about the design and planning out the build. The cost of tools needed also gets expensive quickly, and leather cost isn't cheap. Even with the same pay as someone from McDonalds, factoring in cost of leather, it will reach close to $1000.

Of course, there will always be people who wonder why would anyone pay so much for a briefcase when one from a departmental store with a good brand name will cost half of what I charge. Customization is one, as briefcases are a highly personal thing so the size, pockets, design/look/feel can be changed according to your needs.

Leather quality is another area. I can't speak to every leather item sold in departmental stores, but there's a good chance it's not made of full-grain leather (which is the best quality of leather), and there's also a good chance it's not fully made of leather (just look inside the card pockets of these "leather" wallets).

My items are also hand-stitched using a traditional technique and threads that are pretty substantial, compared to machine-stitching which is generally thought of as not as strong and can unravel easily with more use. Buy once, cry once I guess :s13:

And finally there's the "softer" aspect of knowing that your item is made from start to finish by an artisan you contact directly, and that you're not paying for mark-ups by big brands and companies.

ya u can start your own business and tailor bags. i think some prefer personalised bags. would have people like these to order from u

jeffprobst

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
actually, wanted to know if anyone would buy this

this is actually a female tumi series

sseah12

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words! Unfortunately mine would not be cheap either, starting around $900 and up. This briefcase took me over 80 hours to make, and does not include time for researching about the design and planning out the build. The cost of tools needed also gets expensive quickly, and leather cost isn't cheap. Even with the same pay as someone from McDonalds, factoring in cost of leather, it will reach close to $1000.

Of course, there will always be people who wonder why would anyone pay so much for a briefcase when one from a departmental store with a good brand name will cost half of what I charge. Customization is one, as briefcases are a highly personal thing so the size, pockets, design/look/feel can be changed according to your needs.

Leather quality is another area. I can't speak to every leather item sold in departmental stores, but there's a good chance it's not made of full-grain leather (which is the best quality of leather), and there's also a good chance it's not fully made of leather (just look inside the card pockets of these "leather" wallets).

My items are also hand-stitched using a traditional technique and threads that are pretty substantial, compared to machine-stitching which is generally thought of as not as strong and can unravel easily with more use. Buy once, cry once I guess :s13:

And finally there's the "softer" aspect of knowing that your item is made from start to finish by an artisan you contact directly, and that you're not paying for mark-ups by big brands and companies.
wah, considering it is hand made... I feel it is fantastic.. I tried to do 1 myself... Turned out much worse than yours.. In fact, I would say my failed.. Yours is impressive! But leather briefcase is too heavy.. Medium satchel using cordovan would be nice!

archangle13

Reaction score
Anyone knows a proper work bag that can store a laptop and fully contain a tennis racquet from handle to head?

nightawl

Reaction score
ya u can start your own business and tailor bags. i think some prefer personalised bags. would have people like these to order from u

wah, considering it is hand made... I feel it is fantastic.. I tried to do 1 myself... Turned out much worse than yours.. In fact, I would say my failed.. Yours is impressive! But leather briefcase is too heavy.. Medium satchel using cordovan would be nice!

Thanks for the kind words :) I would love to make a bag out of cordovan one day too!

Carnage

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Care to drop me a PM on leather goods crafting, am interested in getting a bag for work.

sian0.5

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nightawl: are u running a custom made leather goods biz?

I know someone who does, so just checking to see if it's same person ^^

nightawl

Reaction score
Nightawl: are u running a custom made leather goods biz?

I know someone who does, so just checking to see if it's same person ^^

I wouldn't call it a business, just a hobby :) There are plenty of such folks in SG!

Emospence

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
New briefcase from Ray Clark. Pics by the maker cause I'm a **** photog

il_570xN.1271186374_6v44.jpg

il_570xN.1317262221_d5d9.jpg

il_570xN.1270028090_kn8t.jpg

il_570xN.1317262933_rv3i.jpg

il_570xN.1270040142_pogd.jpg

il_570xN.1270041444_6j6d.jpg

il_570xN.1277831672_purg.jpg

il_570xN.1277832392_jubr.jpg

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.