Interested in NTU Minor in Translation

LEEJIYOUNG

Reaction score
I read that it is mainly about Chinese English translation. I want to do this minor but I barely got B4 for Chinese in O levels. Poly grad.

1)How good should my Chinese be before I attempt the course?

2)My Japanese is better than my Chinese, if possible is there a possibility I can do something like Japanese English Translation?

3)Do I use all of my unrestricted electives AUs to clear minor in Translation instead?

Thanks in advance

AugZie

Reaction score
I read that it is mainly about Chinese English translation. I want to do this minor but I barely got B4 for Chinese in O levels. Poly grad.

1)How good should my Chinese be before I attempt the course?

2)My Japanese is better than my Chinese, if possible is there a possibility I can do something like Japanese English Translation?

3)Do I use all of my unrestricted electives AUs to clear minor in Translation instead?

Thanks in advance

1. B4 and above for GCE O level.

2. Not for minor in translation?

3. Use 15 AUs from your UE.

iforgottenx

Reaction score
Hi there, I intend to take Translation as minor as well.

1) I would say that my Chinese is above average among Singaporeans. From my perspective, being able to read 联合早报 without difficulties in understanding the content, and able to write in a 通顺 manner, should be fine.

2) I don't think there is such thing. Translation modules for minor are only restricted to Chinese-English translation. But there's Janpanese Language offered as electives as well, you'll be taught basic conversational Japanese and writing some characters.

3) No, you don't have to. You'll have 30AUs (aka 10 modules) under UE. You'll need to use only 15AUs (aka 5 modules) on Translation in order to minor. You'll be left with 15AUs and you can take any other modules you like in NTU.

Annabeth

Reaction score
I was in the same position as you. Same grade for O levels too. I got access to the Translation class notes (but didn't get to attend the lecture yet) during Star Wars last semester, but after one look at the wall of Chinese texts I realised I won't be able to pass the class. Dropped it the day after. Was really dejected.

I guess you should crash the class and have a look first while the Star Wars is still ongoing to have a feel.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.