Balcony

edwardmah42

Reaction score
Any idea if the balcony door can be shifted backwards to expand the balcony space? If the balcony can be levelled? And can be somehow enclosed?

cis2910

Reaction score
Any idea if the balcony door can be shifted backwards to expand the balcony space? If the balcony can be levelled? And can be somehow enclosed?

Balcony can be levelled up, my contractor checked and gotten the approval doc from HDB.

My old flat's balcony's floor was leveled up to the same level as the living room, I also removed (hacked off) the balcony door, so my living room became bigger after merging with the balcony's space.

Lazpig

Reaction score
I think it depends on the number of balconies being leveled for the whole flat.

We had the intention to merge the balcony and the hall area when we did our renovation the last time. Was told that we have to get an engineer to check that the hacking of the beam and wall of the balcony will not cause any structure imbalance to the whole flat before we can proceed.

We paid $400 for the engineer's stamp of approval.

Last edited:

edwardmah42

Reaction score
I see! Thanks for the input! Cuz actually I was planning to expand my balcony area to make a bigger outdoor area changing the balcony door to a folding Slide door!

Lazpig

Reaction score
Oh I see. So far, I have not heard of any friends who expanded their balconies' area. You may want to check with ID or contractor if it's feasible.

cis2910

Reaction score
Leveled up the balcony's floor is not an issue but if you are thinking of hack-off the beam or wall, then it is another story.

Those supporting beam or pillar for sure cannot be hack-off, only those thin walls are allow. You should be able to see it from the floor plan, those drawn in black thicker one are the supporting pillars that not allow to hack-off.

edwardmah42

Reaction score
Leveled up the balcony's floor is not an issue but if you are thinking of hack-off the beam or wall, then it is another story.

Those supporting beam or pillar for sure cannot be hack-off, only those thin walls are allow. You should be able to see it from the floor plan, those drawn in black thicker one are the supporting pillars that not allow to hack-off.

There are black thick pillars there but I am just repositioning the door, that also means hacking to hdb?

Lazpig

Reaction score

The pillar definitely cannot be hack off but we did hack the overhead beam with the approval and endorsement from a PE.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.