Lastest S$ Deposit updates - Part 3

Slowdown

Master Member
Reaction score
My FD with Maybank due today. Surprised they called me yesterday to offer to renew my FD at 1.4% for 1 year. No need fresh fund.

Went down today to renew it. Must fulfil their conditions:

1. Minimum of 50K FD
2. Must lock-in another 10% in Saving acct. Meaning locked in 5K on normal saving acct interest rate.

Ignoring the saving acct interest rate, effective interest rate for this FD is 1.27%

Terrible but lazy to move funds around.

Darrel Mok

Reaction score
You can transfer your funds via FAST transfer. It's immediate and free service.

My FD with Maybank due today. Surprised they called me yesterday to offer to renew my FD at 1.4% for 1 year. No need fresh fund.

1. Minimum of 50K FD
2. Must lock-in another 10% in Saving acct. Meaning locked in 5K on normal saving acct interest rate.

Ignoring the saving acct interest rate, effective interest rate for this FD is 1.27%

lzydata

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

1. Minimum of 50K FD

Looks like this is their ongoing promotion but they have waived the fresh funds requirement for you :)

http://info.maybank2u.com.sg/promotion/deposits-banking/deposit-bundle.aspx

raysdad

Reaction score

Glad someone brought this up. I was introduced similar products from Great Eastern. 84000 after 6 years is 1500 SGD per year interest using 75000 SGD. That's about 2% PA. Better than FD rate. Equal rates but Shorter Term than SSB. Assuming we already reach SA annual limit.

Is this an OK product to consider??

Someone here advised against such product but no reason given. Any one with a Good Reason why we should or should not take up such product?

Assuming we do not need this 75000 SGD for the next 6 years. Thanks!

K202020K

Master Member
Reaction score
At raysdad :
If I'm not mistaken, the yield for this investment by GE is now projected at 2.1% for new subscribers & 2.2% for existing, renewed subscribers. But the returns are not guaranteed, so could be any figure e.g. 0.6%.

The plus factor is the capital is 100% covered by SDIC, instead of only at $50k for bank deposits under SDIC insurance scheme.

However, the assets invested seems to be at an all time high so makes one wonder if there are further upsides to ride on.

NTUC Income should have similar offerings, with more attractive projected returns, as it is operated as a co-operative so the payback to shareholders are minimal as compared with a listed insurance company.

Sent from Nagasaki長崎, Japan日本 using GAGT

gerardlim

Reaction score
At raysdad :
If I'm not mistaken, the yield for this investment by GE is now projected at 2.1% for new subscribers & 2.2% for existing, renewed subscribers. But the returns are not guaranteed, so could be any figure e.g. 0.6%.

The plus factor is the capital is 100% covered by SDIC, instead of only at $50k for bank deposits under SDIC insurance scheme.

However, the assets invested seems to be at an all time high so makes one wonder if there are further upsides to ride on.

NTUC Income should have similar offerings, with more attractive projected returns, as it is operated as a co-operative so the payback to shareholders are minimal as compared with a listed insurance company.

What about the Etiqa one?

K202020K

Master Member
Reaction score
Etiqa one I don't know as I only have the benefits illustration for GE's 5 years plan. But you have to look at their asset class allocation table, I don't think it is a savings type of instrument.

Some may invest in foreign markets, so there's an exposure to currency conversion risk.

raysdad

Reaction score
Etiqa one I don't know as I only have the benefits illustration for GE's 5 years plan. But you have to look at their asset class allocation table, I don't think it is a savings type of instrument.

Some may invest in foreign markets, so there's an exposure to currency conversion risk.

The Etiqa brochure says "Guaranteed total maturity benefits $84007" which got me to think about it. Yes, the 100k protection is a plus.

May park some here if the returns are fully guaranteed. Hoping for some violent objections from the forum to buying such products as I cannot see the down side here.

https://www.etiqa.com.sg/personal/life-insurance/direct-purchase-insurance/eeasy-save

Last edited:

K202020K

Master Member
Reaction score
The Etiqa brochure says "Guaranteed total maturity benefits $84007" which got me to think about it. Yes, the 100k protection is a plus.

May park some here if the returns are fully guaranteed. Hoping for some violent objections from the forum to buying such products as I cannot see the down side here.

https://www.etiqa.com.sg/personal/life-insurance/direct-purchase-insurance/eeasy-save
Agree.
Sorry I was mistaken in my earlier reply, as I misunderstood that you were referring to GE's, when you were musing over the numbers.
I'm also very curious to know where is the catch. Maybe must buy one of their other investment products in order to qualify for Etiqa.

raysdad

Reaction score
Agree.
Sorry I was mistaken in my earlier reply, as I misunderstood that you were referring to GE's, when you were musing over the numbers.
I'm also very curious to know where is the catch. Maybe must buy one of their other investment products in order to qualify for Etiqa.

Yes the GE product is "projected".. and my agent will always tell us they are the only company which refunded during the mini bond crisis and they always pay the projected (else their directors would need to cut the bonuses too? ) :)

I will update on this ETIQA product when my Maybank FD expires in Sept.. unless other forumers know if we need to purchase their other investment products (MAybank's usual tactics :)) ... switching some to this...

twinbaby

Master Member
Reaction score
So far I have used.

• POSB SAYE
  • Maybank ISavvy promo, the one that gives your 0.70% (for the next 2 months)+ 0.30%

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.