AFTERSHOCK PC - Now featuring Nvidia 10 series graphics cards!

Reaction score
whispermode is useless if your machine's fans dont have optimal design

Clevo is already notorious for fan noise, regardless whether the GPU is on full load or partial load when gaming. All the other thin and light notebooks havent had much luck either

whispermode is really just going to do 2 things
- set a FPS limit (which i believe geforce experience can already do)
- reduce the GPU's power

since we already know its hardware independent it's quite certain that it has no power to directly tap into a laptop's EC and manipulate fan speed

remember that a CPU has fans too, and intel didnt invent a whispermode for their CPU. Its up to the manufacturers to improve their fan design and not lean on software tricks

For starters, Intel's CPUs have much lower TDP rating compared to the GPUs (45W for KBL-H versus minimum 60W for GTX1060 Max-Q and above). Therefore making the CPU Fan run quietly would depend more on the fan controls which Clevo's Control Center (which is a standard software management within ALL Aftershock Laptops) have. I am able to make my S-15 run even quieter than my cooling pad's fans this way by tweaking with the controls there. But one thing's for sure, having "High Performance" as your Power Profile will definitely kick in the aggressive cooling (and loud fan noise you mentioned) so maybe switching down the Power Profile may help slow down the fan speeds since the power needs are lowered.

As for what WhisperMode can actually do, it is more about reducing the demand for GPU Power when it's not exactly needed, FPS restriction would be more game-specific settings based on what settings the specific game's developers are made tweak-able.
Thing is my personal opinion of this WhisperMode feature is that it is something not to be used as a panacea for temperature and noise control, but something "good to have", since GPU fans would be made to work a lot harder under load due to its higher TDP, having all the supply-regulation it can get would be something nice to have just in case. In real life terms, some of Aftershock's newer units that has less cooling fan support (examples: MX-15 Pro and PRIME-15 which has only one fan for the 60-80W GPU) may stand to benefit thermally from the WhisperMode better than units with better GPU cooling systems like the S-Series, which has the dual cooling fans dedicated to cooling the GPU itself.
Also, a funny thing about this WhisperMode is the real dependence on 16nm-based Pascal GPU for Notebooks to work, since they are the only ones getting a lower-TDP Max-Q variant in the first place, so it's not so hardware-independent as you might expect though, even the much lower TDP GPUs like the Notebook 1050Ti and 1050 do not support this feature actually.

chiaRH

Reaction score
FPS restriction would be more game-specific settings based on what settings the specific game's developers are made tweak-able.

nvidia inspector and other stuff like MSI afterburner (with rivatuner statistics server) can implement a system wide FPS cap by using the nvidia API

in game settings like graphics quality only affect the load on GPU so there could still be scenarios where the FPS fluctuate in different scenes

of course most people would just use the easy way which is vsync

Also, a funny thing about this WhisperMode is the real dependence on 16nm-based Pascal GPU for Notebooks to work, since they are the only ones getting a lower-TDP Max-Q variant in the first place, so it's not so hardware-independent as you might expect though, even the much lower TDP GPUs like the Notebook 1050Ti and 1050 do not support this feature actually.

hardware independent i was thinking more about the different laptops rather than the different GPU models

Like if u have 2 laptops, one with 3 fans, another with 2 fans, they both can use whispermode if their GPU has it, but the one with 2 fans may still struggle with cooling thus the fan noise under load may still be significant.

There is a very general assumption that by reducing the GPU load means the fans will run quieter but things like ventilation or even how the fans are designed IMO can make a more important difference in the long run. My S17 for instance, has this incredibly moronic ventilation design from clevo whereby the CPU fan and its intake vent dont align so like, 1/3 of the fan is blocked by pure hardware design alone, you can see what it looks like here https://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/Notebooks/Nexoc/G734III/Boden.png

Last edited:

AikiBoy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wao liao... placed an order last week :(. lead time is 3 to 4 weeks on PC build.

have to wait fo long meh... now no PC at home to use... damn sian.
really must wait 1 month ah... zzz

Last edited:

havcove

Master Member
Reaction score
Would anyone know if aftershock accept old laptop trade in? have tried emailing them but no reply so far... wanna hoot the prime 15 while it is on promotion..

xheavenic

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Woot! Just received sms that my prime 15 is ready for collection! Going straight after work to collect it

chiaRH

Reaction score
Would anyone know if aftershock accept old laptop trade in? have tried emailing them but no reply so far... wanna hoot the prime 15 while it is on promotion..

they dont have trade in services

when i wanted to sell off my old X15 I asked them and they recommended Gadget Galaxy which is near Kallang MRT so I sold it off there (most shops only accept major brands so selling an aftershock isnt easy)

havcove

Master Member
Reaction score
they dont have trade in services

when i wanted to sell off my old X15 I asked them and they recommended Gadget Galaxy which is near Kallang MRT so I sold it off there (most shops only accept major brands so selling an aftershock isnt easy)

oic, thanks! guess i sell elsewhere then..

BlankShot

Reaction score
Hi can the prime 15 output to a benQ XL2411Z at 144hz or 120hz via hdmi or mini DP? According to the site the monitor only has hdmi and dvi-DL, but I've read online that hdmi 2.0 can support up to 120hz..

How about for the prism x315, would the mini DP to DP work for 144hz?
Thanks!

ZadusBoop

Reaction score
mx15 elite

Hi hi any fellow owners of the MX15 elite laptop from Aftershock experience hot air blowing out at the right side of the laptop when it is under load i.e ; gaming ? It makes for an uncomfortable gaming experience??

And also, poor performance when performing light tasks like web browsing when on battery power, not charging?

weizilla

Reaction score
interested to buy a new laptop from aftershock (planning to support local firm abit, and the price seems quite ok for a gaming laptop)
have read up the past few months' posts.

due to my budget constraint, i'm thinking of p14 or mx-15 elite.
hopefully i can decide on one before the end of their promo period.
any recommendations?

most people are talking about mx-15 elite/pro, or prime 15.
just wondering what about P14? how's the battery life? thinking of this one cause it's lighter.
havent seen any reviews online about it.

chiaRH

Reaction score
due to my budget constraint, i'm thinking of p14 or mx-15 elite.
hopefully i can decide on one before the end of their promo period.
any recommendations?

imo mx-15 is better, for slightly more price you go from a 1050 to 1050ti

kakashidinho

Reaction score
I have just bought MX15-Elite. Recently I tested Mass Effect Andromeda to see how the laptop fare. I couldn't believe in my eye that after around 10 min, the GPU's temp reached 93 degree Celsius.
:( Please anyone can tell me this is normal or not?
Watching some Youtube videos, they have Gaming Laptop too but the GPU temp is so low (60-70). That made me heart broken.

chiaRH

Reaction score
I have just bought MX15-Elite. Recently I tested Mass Effect Andromeda to see how the laptop fare. I couldn't believe in my eye that after around 10 min, the GPU's temp reached 93 degree Celsius.
:( Please anyone can tell me this is normal or not?
Watching some Youtube videos, they have Gaming Laptop too but the GPU temp is so low (60-70). That made me heart broken.

The question is, your youtube video is it also featuring the same laptop as you? If not then can't really compare side by side.

MX15 Elite is the Clevo N850HK1 I believe, quick personal check for online reviews show GPU gaming temps around high 80s to low 90s, so it seems normal

sheepysheep

Reaction score
kakashidinho - Do let us know if you'd like us to take a look to check if anything is abnormal.

marcus, aftershockpc.

sheepysheep

Reaction score

We used to work with a trade in partner called gadgets galaxy. They can still provide a cash quote for a used system from us.

havcove

Master Member
Reaction score
We used to work with a trade in partner called gadgets galaxy. They can still provide a cash quote for a used system from us.

thanks, i have received a reply from Aftershock ler and will liaise via email with them.

Have already ordered a Prime 15, only downside is waiting time is around 3 to 4 weeks.. but that was communicated in advance and accepted as part of the deal:)

Going to be my first Aftershock product and i am looking forward to it.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.