How long do decent earphones <$50 last for?

Artyom

Reaction score
TLDR: What's the average replacement rate for earphones <$50? Had one spoil after 2 years, is that decent?

Previously (a long time ago) I bought sony earphones for $20, and one side would stop working in a year. Then I bought another pair (also sony) for $30 or $40, and it spoilt within a year as well. Bought all these online, so I decided to stop buying on the internet.

Then I went to stereo electronics at plaza sing, had a pair of urbanears earphones that were on offer for $40 or something (normal price $60 or $50). Pretty good, but around 1year in the rubber on the wires started breaking off LOL. So the wires are exposed, but it still works. Lasted around 2 years in total I guess.

$40 for 2 years seems pretty good to me so I'm looking to go back to that shop again, but not sure what's the average replacement rate? I'm just looking for normal in-ear ones.

Last edited:

hwaa

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i have one ard $80+ one , lasted me many yrs already. i wear it for running also plus normal wearing otw to work.

but mine came with a case, so everytime after using i will keep inside the case.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
I still like online options. Been buying KZ brand from aliexpress.
Best ones so far cost are KZ ED9 (single dynamic driver) at $12 sgd and KZ ZS5 (2 dynamic drivers + 2 balanced armature = 4 drivers per side) at $45 sgd.
See headfi website for good reviews.

MrMundy

Master Member
Reaction score
seems like user problem:s13::s13:

anyway usually earphone or headphone the cables will spoil first, so its better to get those that have removable cables.. moi using kz zst, zs5 and ate, so far so good:s12::s12::s12:

KZ ZST:
IMG_20170810_103631.jpg

KZ ZS5 (with the cables meant for ZST, modded to fit the zs5 tightly):
IMG_20170810_231656.jpg

benedium

Banned
Reaction score

anyway usually earphone or headphone the cables will spoil first, so its better to get those that have removable cables.. moi using kz zst, zs5 and ate, so far so good:s12::s12::s12:

KZ ZST:
IMG_20170810_103631.jpg

IMG_20170810_231656.jpg

Actually i feel the ZS5 is better with the stock original cables. Seems to have better soundstage depth. The zs5 silver cable upgrade sounds louder but all frequencies seem equal and flatter.

Maybe silver cables better for pop music and original cable better for classical or accoustic music. Anyway i got both as bundle for $50sgd so can choose anytime.

Last edited:

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Oh and KZ ZS5 not for small ears. ED9 will be better for small ears, and much cheaper too.

Artyom

Reaction score

KZ ZST:
IMG_20170810_103631.jpg

IMG_20170810_231656.jpg

Haha yea maybe ah, maybe my coiling method wrong:eek:I know the sony earphones spoil due to wire break

But the most recent pair the wire casing just fall off like some kind of product defect, really weird

Edit: The KZ brand of earphones are only available online eh? Hope no problems, seems like got a few people kena one that never really pass QC properly hah.

Last edited:

SHIL0H

Reaction score
Most of the time, about a few months? The longest is 1 year/1 year plus.

ronnie_gogs

Reaction score
I only buy earphones which allows to replace the cables as that is one the main points of failure... MEE M6 comes with this feature in the budget range.

I have replaced cables (soldered) on my Koss Porta Pro before but only cause it is one of my fav portable headphones which is why I bothered with it. Otherwise I would prefer modular options like SE215, IM audio technica series.

On my IM01 Audio technica I have already replaced the cable which is modular once in the past 2 years of usage.

Last edited:

vibranze

Reaction score
I had JVC HA-FXC51 bought 8 years ago and still working great till now, bought at $50.

boompipi

Reaction score
I only buy earphones which allows to replace the cables as that is one the main points of failure... MEE M6 comes with this feature in the budget range.

I have replaced cables (soldered) on my Koss Porta Pro before but only cause it is one of my fav portable headphones which is why I bothered with it. Otherwise I would prefer modular options like SE215, IM audio technica series.

On my IM01 Audio technica I have already replaced the cable which is modular once in the past 2 years of usage.

Cable replacement seems like a great idea since most faulty comes from the cables as long as the cable replacement is not too expensive.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just my two cents, earpiece or even headphone can easily snap
after sometime especially if you do not stored it properly.

Few things you can do:

1) Coil up your earpiece/headphone.
Than use a cable tie and just secured it.

2) Get a small pouch to store it.
Do not let it tangle in your pocket/bag and etc.
See a lot of people usually just stuff their earpiece inside
their pocket.
If there is key or sharp objects, it can easily just snap the cable.

Hope this helps.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Yah i use small plastic tupperware type boxes from daiso, 4 boxes for $2. My earphones 3 or 4 years still no problem.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.