ONE is here. XZ1, XZ1 Compact, X1.

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
What this XZ1 did right over XZs:
1) Moving the volume button above the power button.
2) Moving the NFC to the back.

stan216

Reaction score
haha. from the renders it looks like a metal version of the X Compact :s22:
The price will probably be quite :eek: too. hahaha.

I actually wouldn't have minded the X Compact if it was available from the telcos. But oh well, the timeframe for me to get the XC has passed. Might as well wait for the XZ1c.

DigDub

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most likely no. Sony seems to be ditching FM radio for online radio apps.

that's bad news. compactness and fm radio is one of the reason why I chose compact series. now only left the midrange Samsung a3. hope Sony will spring a surprise.

rssd21

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
that's bad news. compactness and fm radio is one of the reason why I chose compact series. now only left the midrange Samsung a3. hope Sony will spring a surprise.

But only Sony have flagship hardware in compact size.
The rest of the phone makers are going for larger flagship phones.

Tough choice, I feel you man.

DoraemonBoi

Master Member
Reaction score
The bezel like getting thicker arh :s13:
Note 8 looks so much better than this tho. The only thing I like about Sony is their software ui :(

Sony-Xperia-XZ1-Black_6-768x768.jpg

Sony-Xperia-XZ1-Pink_4-768x768.jpg

DigDub

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But only Sony have flagship hardware in compact size.
The rest of the phone makers are going for larger flagship phones.

Tough choice, I feel you man.

actually the Samsung s8 is surprisingly narrow enough to wrap my hand around it. if I'd have to give up fm radio, s8 would be in my sights.

rssd21

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
actually the Samsung s8 is surprisingly narrow enough to wrap my hand around it. if I'd have to give up fm radio, s8 would be in my sights.

But that is a tall phone compared to compact size phone.

Though all Sony compact phones are thick, perhaps for the battery.

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The bezel like getting thicker arh
:s13:
Note 8 looks so much better than this tho. The only thing I like about Sony is their software ui
:(

Sony-Xperia-XZ1-Black_6-768x768.jpg

Sony-Xperia-XZ1-Pink_4-768x768.jpg
Maybe the thicker bezel is to fit in the camera sensor and possibly also the accompanying sensors and NFC haha :o

chooyoshi

Reaction score
Maybe the thicker bezel is to fit in the camera sensor and possibly also the accompanying sensors and NFC haha :o
Might be also because they lack the R&D money to do the innovation in design.Cannot blame them as long as they make at least some $.

rssd21

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Might be also because they lack the R&D money to do the innovation in design.Cannot blame them as long as they make at least some $.

I would think it is about cost-saving to reuse designs with minor changes.

OutBreak

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe they want to have their own design language and not just another copy-cat phone? But they really need to trim down the bezel and not make it bigger.. =:p

rssd21

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe they want to have their own design language and not just another copy-cat phone? But they really need to trim down the bezel and not make it bigger.. =:p

The year of 2017 and everyone finds a bone to pick with bezel sizes.

It is definitely not simple to stick with 16:9 display and keep the phone shorter without compromising hardware and features in the phone.

Smaller bezel is fine, but I would not want smaller battery, inferior front speakers, missing sensors or led lights for the sake of smaller footprint.

The 2:1 display seem out of place right now, not that the taller display is going to get extra content than 16:9 display.

Sony is also a content provider for games, shows and music.
Likely reason that it will follow the new display trend is when they have the supported contents.

silcosilva

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
whats wrong with bezels man..

having used the Sharp Aquos 305Sh and 402SH, I am used to not having side and top bezels... to me, only the bezel at the bottom have a purpose, that is to allow your thumb to rest while you're using the phone apart from the sensors and camera... and yes, the bone-speaker on the screen is really something even 3 years on... :s12:

I got an Xperia XA, mainly due to its faster and better camera than the Sharp(s), and I chose it mainly due to the absence of the side bezels... I don't need a flagship to satisfy my daily needs... But, its battery is an absolute downside... end up, I'm back to using my 2014 Sharp(s) while my younger brother is using that phone... :s22:

I did eye on the new XA1, but boy, the bezels at the top and bottom grew in size, and the absence of a bigger battery capacity and stereo speakers turned me off... :s8:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.