ComfortDelgro *Official* (SGX:C52)

kehyi4

Reaction score
SBR: ComfortDelGro's taxi fleet down to 15,600

No thanks to the rising popularity of Grab and Uber.

Singapore cabbies are feeling the heat from the intense competition from private car hire firms like Grab and Uber.

This is especially apparent with the shrinking size of ComfortDelGro's taxi fleet.

According to DBS Group Research, whilst the group is less impacted, its fleet size has also shrunk recently to 15,600 as of June this year from about 16,800 taxis in December last year.

"The group has implemented more flexible rental schemes to attract and retain drivers," analyst Andy Sim said.

The analyst added, "Whilst there could be near-term headwinds, we believe that private cars for hire and taxis would co-exist over the longer-term."

hellomuddy

Reaction score
This kind of thing you just need 1x big accident to happen, government will pull back on the use already. Imagine nowadays so many siao lang on the road. Just need one to hiong hiong ram the self driving car.

Looks like the govt is pushing for it though.. they let them pilot it at some campus for a year liao.

Only a matter of time it seems.

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This kind of thing you just need 1x big accident to happen, government will pull back on the use already. Imagine nowadays so many siao lang on the road. Just need one to hiong hiong ram the self driving car.

that's why.. I don't understand how self driving cars can be possible in the next few years ? if u say maybe 5-10 years later, can believe.. but like next year or the following year? when the roads are so congested and so many ppl jaywalking ? but a lot of people whom have quite high education still thinks that its possible in edmw (and obviously those professors and peeps researching this)

cars on the roads are not like LRTs or MRTs where they travel in only one way and only need to detect an object in front.. have to detect from the side, left and right and backwards (that's why we have to check blindspots isn't it ?)

TabascoSauce

Master Member
Reaction score
that's why.. I don't understand how self driving cars can be possible in the next few years ? if u say maybe 5-10 years later, can believe.. but like next year or the following year? when the roads are so congested and so many ppl jaywalking ? but a lot of people whom have quite high education still thinks that its possible in edmw (and obviously those professors and peeps researching this)

cars on the roads are not like LRTs or MRTs where they travel in only one way and only need to detect an object in front.. have to detect from the side, left and right and backwards (that's why we have to check blindspots isn't it ?)

Jus install sensors in all directions and there will be no blind spot? Anyway, most Drivers are men and men have particularly poor peripheral vision. I don't see why it is not possible for a driverless car to be more 'aware' of its surrounding.

AI also have the potential to make much better decision as demonstrated by many studies in many fields.

Lastly, driverless car won't suffer from fatigue and won't have problem of drunk driving.

Having said that, I don't think driverless cars will hit the road anytime soon. The Tech is still not mature yet, and there are many regulatory hurdles.

SeVenn

Master Member
Reaction score
Gapping up! :eek:

Looks like a massive panic short covering rally. Really over shorted to the max :o

Last edited:

stsilverbullet73

Master Member
Reaction score
scooped some of these.

in summary, i am willing to take a gamble on this for the following reason:

1. no doubt revenue fell largely because of taxi segment, company is holding on to net cash segment so it gives them opportunity to pivot quickly (onto a correct strategy, i hope)

2. i do not take taxi but i do take grab/uber. i feel that most people are taking u/g because of the ridiculous $1/3/4 fares that can take you quite a distance. did you take taxi before u/g came in? . no doubt customers were lost but the impact has been lesser than what i expected. believe most people are like me in terms of u/g vs taxi mindset.

3. the problem is that u/g are stealing the cdg drivers and they are enjoying life under "no boss" and "drive as you like". but on those rare times i get subsidised taxi for work i do talk to the drivers and you will know they eventually come back to taxi because the fares are unsustainable. i myself drove u/g for a mth to understand the market and indeed i find that on my best nights it is still what i would class as a 'high risk low pay' job that eventually most drivers will also quit when they find a better out

4. u/g can burn cash but let's put it this way would you buy them if they go to an ipo? cdg is accountable to its shareholders so while i enjoy the cheap rides i do not want my investments to follow suit. the market is inverted now because sometimes even taking a grabshare for 2 is cheaper than a bus! this must eventually correct itself

5. so far u/g is messing on 'gov turf' and all it takes for gov to ensure they keep their own cdg alive is to implement 2 likely laws: 1. drivers above 30; 2. fares must follow standard taxi fares. uber is already being squeezed out by aggressive grab marketing and fares i see the end point as grab and taxi to co-exist. they will not implement standard fare now because they will not want to save uber who is an 'outsider'. once uber is out, and if fares are standard one day, will you take phv or taxi? ;)

just my 2 cents. keeping this for the very long run.

gxgx perisher & me lol :s22:

Noobtrader18

Reaction score

our driver also easily not happy at the car infront of us or next to us when merge. very possible will have many problem. at certain speed you cant avoid accident also.

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
Calculated move in an attempt to dilute Uber's market share and lure back the drivers to CDG ? :D:D:D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.