Secure your Router - DIR-868L

movingrubber

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Any one using 2x DIR 868Ls for BTO? shouldn't be a big issue - simply plug and play?

Also, I saw somewhere that it is running 802.11axc (draft)... should I be concerned about this...? future-proof (hope tech is at least valid for 2 years)?

Thanks

tungsten2

Master Member
Reaction score
Not using 2x dir-868l as 1 is already good enough for a hdb 4A size.

Yes, you do not need to worry about the draft 802.11ac

The main router is plug and play , however the secondary router you need to configure it to run as AP mode. Very straight forward. Just need to trial and error. May not work 1st time . You need to just reset and re-configure again.

movingrubber

Reaction score
I believe so too, given floor area, but new BTOs are really facing an issue of weak signal in rooms because of long corridor and shape.

Would've been solved if my ID/I had the foresight to put the 2nd lan point in the middle of the house. Now I have 2 lan points one either end of the house ...

The main router is plug and play , however the secondary router you need to configure it to run as AP mode. Very straight forward. Just need to trial and error. May not work 1st time . You need to just reset and re-configure again.

movingrubber

Reaction score
Also, using router as AP won't degrade the capability to an extender right..?

Phumba

Reaction score
Just assigned both SSID & Password for the 2 bands to be the same on both Routers.
This is autozoning, if you prefer.:D

Question. Does it work well? Autozoning?

Seemless trouble free?

My hdb the masterbedroom loo requires a repeater whenever we wanna go poopoo.

Wld replacing with a dir868 autozoning be a more 'elegant' solution?
And i assume it wld be setup as;
A. Main router
B. AP with autozoniny enabled?

Last edited:

movingrubber

Reaction score
My question too! Both toilets no signal, but master bedroom got 2.4G (2 bar) and common bedroom 2.4G (3 bar)

I am just considering powerline adaptor or router. But found that this router I can get really cheap so... given router spec wise is definitely better (right?), guess I'll get the router and autozone.

Seemless trouble free?

A. Main router

revogsx

Reaction score
some phone will auto connect to stronger wifi.

I have my repeater with different SSID name, sometimes phone or tablet will automatically switch wifi when I move from living room to bedroom.

autozoning or not. you can manually select wifi network.
or turn on airplane mode for 3 seconds and the phone connects to strong signal

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My question too! Both toilets no signal, but master bedroom got 2.4G (2 bar) and common bedroom 2.4G (3 bar)

I am just considering powerline adaptor or router. But found that this router I can get really cheap so... given router spec wise is definitely better (right?), guess I'll get the router and autozone.
Since ur is new bto, from mid-2013, u can convert master room telephone point to Data point as it is using Cat-6 cable.
The do bridge mode for the router in the room.

In my case, although all rooms do have data points.
And i did convert tel point to data point as additional, as advice by the isp installer.
My setup. Both routers Dlink dir868l.

TP -> ONT -> Router (main) -> HUB in the DB box -->> all rooms.

My room, in the middle.
Data point -> hub (powered) -->> pc, etc; and Router (2nd).
Lan cable to Router WAN port.
Settings to Bridge mode.
SSID & Password independent.
Note: Ensure u have upgrade the firmware to 1.09SHC.

Phones n devices are set on 5GHz band.
Common toilet no problem in receiving good signal from my room even both doors closed.
Doors are fine but walls between rooms may not be.
Hence i go for phones with dual bands.

As for the main Router, i position to be line in sight at all rooms doors.
In this way it covered whole living room and do have some signal for nearby rooms, taking into consideration on doors being fine for signal.

Hope this will give u a general idea.:D

Sent from Seven Enlightenment using GAGT

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Seemless trouble free?

A. Main router
Technically this require some settings to be done before using.
Autozoning is never perfect solution, as depend on what sort of surfing n speed connection.
The repeater router require to be in line of sight to have a better signal.
Speed between both routers would be 866mbps irregularless on ur isp plan, as this is internal connection.

In my previous old flat i can connect via lan cable to the repeater with speed at 500mbps plan without issue.

Autozoning on router 868 do have its problem, as someone did encountered.
Secured connection may drop if moved to another router signal.
But streaming may not due to the buffer and it can reconnect with ease.:D

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Technically this require some settings to be done before using.
Autozoning is never perfect solution, as depend on what sort of surfing n speed connection.
The repeater router require to be in line of sight to have a better signal.
Speed between both routers would be 866mbps irregularless on ur isp plan, as this is internal connection.

In my previous old flat i can connect via lan cable to the repeater with speed at 500mbps plan without issue.

Autozoning on router 868 do have its problem, as someone did encountered.
Secured connection may drop if moved to another router signal.
But streaming may not due to the buffer and it can reconnect with ease.:D

If using lan cable, you don't call it a repeater. It is another AP.

movingrubber

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. You brought up one important point:

Currently, I got 2 data point - one living room and one master bedroom.

So, with 1 router now, my connection within the DB BOX is from black box to one of the data points (living room). If I hook up a new router, I'll need to establish another connection between black box and next data point (master bedroom), correct?

I'll look into the firmware matter. I think that's at the start of this thread.

Thank you!

Since ur is new bto, from mid-2013, u can convert master room telephone point to Data point as it is using Cat-6 cable.
The do bridge mode for the router in the room.

In my case, although all rooms do have data points.
And i did convert tel point to data point as additional, as advice by the isp installer.
My setup. Both routers Dlink dir868l.

TP -> ONT -> Router (main) -> HUB in the DB box -->> all rooms.

My room, in the middle.
Data point -> hub (powered) -->> pc, etc; and Router (2nd).
Lan cable to Router WAN port.
Settings to Bridge mode.
SSID & Password independent.
Note: Ensure u have upgrade the firmware to 1.09SHC.

Phones n devices are set on 5GHz band.
Common toilet no problem in receiving good signal from my room even both doors closed.
Doors are fine but walls between rooms may not be.
Hence i go for phones with dual bands.

As for the main Router, i position to be line in sight at all rooms doors.
In this way it covered whole living room and do have some signal for nearby rooms, taking into consideration on doors being fine for signal.

Hope this will give u a general idea.:D

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. You brought up one important point:

Currently, I got 2 data point - one living room and one master bedroom.

So, with 1 router now, my connection within the DB BOX is from black box to one of the data points (living room). If I hook up a new router, I'll need to establish another connection between black box and next data point (master bedroom), correct?

I'll look into the firmware matter. I think that's at the start of this thread.

Thank you!

The "black box" you mentioned is called ONT. You can only link up one router to the ONT.

The 2nd router has to be connected to 1st router's LAN port.

movingrubber

Reaction score
Ah 'solved' the matter and called StarHub.

In bracket ( xx ) is what's within my DB BOX..

Instead of my current: (TP>ONT>wall point IN 1)>wall point in living room OUT>router 1 at living room

Change to: (TP>ONT>router 1>wall point IN 2)>wall point in bedroom OUT>router 2 at bedroom, set as AP

Hope the signal of router 1 in living room entrance DB BOX won't degrade so much. Now it's like in a cabinet....

Oh no! Means must pull one wire from 1st router to second router??

Is there another set up?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ah 'solved' the matter and called StarHub.

In bracket ( xx ) is what's within my DB BOX..

Instead of my current: (TP>ONT>wall point IN 1)>wall point in living room OUT>router 1 at living room

Change to: (TP>ONT>router 1>wall point IN 2)>wall point in bedroom OUT>router 2 at bedroom, set as AP

Hope the signal of router 1 in living room entrance DB BOX won't degrade so much. Now it's like in a cabinet....
Your new setup is correct, as done by installer, as they are expert in these connection n setup.
The wiring is fine as it still good in my case.

Do take note carefully on the "channels" of the router band may conflict due to default using the same as both are of same model.
So it is best to factory reset the 2nd router in bedroom and connect via cable to data point.
For AP to access to 2nd router, download this Home Wifi Alert App to detect the correct AP.
This Home Wifi Alert app is mentioned in the hardware site.

My connection is to Router WAN Port and in Bridge mode, available after new firmware upgraded.
SSID is different from main router.:D

Last edited:

movingrubber

Reaction score
The d link fella said channels no issue because I'm operating two routers in "router" mode. Hence can u tell me how to check and what's the optimal channel(s) to be on?

Home wifi alert app you mentioned, is it for my devices to auto find best connection when moving through the house?

I don't do life-or-death kind of Internet stuff in the house so not exactly necessary... but curious - doesn't it drain your phone because it's just continually searching for better network?

Thanks!

Your new setup is correct, as done by installer, as they are expert in these connection n setup.
The wiring is fine as it still good in my case.

Do take note carefully on the "channels" of the router band may conflict due to default using the same as both are of same model.
So it is best to factory reset the 2nd router in bedroom and connect via cable to data point.
For AP to access to 2nd router, download this Home Wifi Alert App to detect the correct AP.
This Home Wifi Alert app is mentioned in the hardware site.

My connection is to Router WAN Port and in Bridge mode, available after new firmware upgraded.
SSID is different from main router.:D

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The d link fella said channels no issue because I'm operating two routers in "router" mode. Hence can u tell me how to check and what's the optimal channel(s) to be on?

Home wifi alert app you mentioned, is it for my devices to auto find best connection when moving through the house?

I don't do life-or-death kind of Internet stuff in the house so not exactly necessary... but curious - doesn't it drain your phone because it's just continually searching for better network?

Thanks!

There are many ways to connect 2nd or 3rd router, the most important thing to note is that the 2nd or 3rd router should not be in router mode, else you will face "double NAT" problem.

My preference is to connect 2nd router via yellow LAN port (i.e. not the blue WAN port), disable DHCP in the second router, and set the router's IP address as 192.168.0.2. By doing so, the second router behaves like a switch + AP.

For wifi frequency, install "wifi analyser" app on your handphone from playstore, it can show you the channels used by your neighbours and the strengths. Choose the least congested channel. Remember not to overlap the same channels between your 1st and 2nd router.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.