View Single Post
Old 25-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #2
cis2910

Hey guys.

I'm on the hunt for a semi-commercial oven. My wife and I are quite serious about baking, you see. We're facing a bit of a hiccup with the electrical work, and I hope that someone out there can provide some advice.

We've decided on the Unox range of ovens as it seems to be rather durable and popular with a number of local bakeries. The salesperson told me that the model that we've selected can draw a high current (slightly over 13A), and previous clients have reported having 'melted' plugs/blown fuses when plugged into a 13A circuit. He recommended installing a 15A point to avoid these issues.

Based on the information below, I thought that it would be a simple matter -- simply switch out my desired kitchen 13A socket and replace it with a 15A one. However, I've been receiving some conflicting advice from electricians. One agrees to swapping out a 13A socket and another says a new line needs to be run from the main circuit breaker. Running a new line is likely going to require cutting through some kitchen furniture, and I hope that can be avoided. So, is it safe to simply tap on my existing kitchen power point (P3-22 - see pic below)?

Some information about my home that may be of interest:
- My place is a new BTO flat with 40A at the main circuit breaker.
- The entire kitchen is by default installed with only 13A plugs. Some additional points were installed by my renovation contractor to support my 2-zone (3.7kW) induction cooker, hood and fridge.
- The electrical plans seem to suggest that the kitchen is connected to a 30A MCB.
- From the electrical plans, it looks like the house is wired with 2.5sqmm cables for the kitchen.
- I hope to be able to switch out P3-22 (see pic below) for a 15A plug.

Forumers, pls correct me if I'm wrong in the electrical's concept. ..

The diagram shows that P3 have 7 power sockets (P3-20 to 26), that wired to one 30A's MCB, this means accumulative, you cannot loaded with more than 30A from these 7 sockets, else the MCB will be tripped as overloaded.

If you use one of the P3's power sockets for the oven that consumes about 15A, you will only left with 15A for the rest of 6 power sockets. In this case, you just need to ENSURE that the rest appliances that plugged onto the remaining 6 power sockets won't consume more than 15A at the SAMETIME while using the oven, eg: donot use induction cooker while using the oven. Else, at most is that, the MCB tripped due to overloaded, as it is the safety feature of MCB.

BTW, replace the 13A fuse to a 15A one in the 3 pins power plug of the oven, this will solve the melting issue. I did this for my MIL's oven, and the socket will not be overheated after that.

Last edited by cis2910; 25-08-2017 at 01:26 PM..
cis2910 is offline   Reply With Quote