Back from South island New Zealand

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is 1350 to chc consider expensive at end Nov to near mid December.? Nz airline. Almost a week back they still had promotion price at 1150 like that. Sadded.

faykin

Reaction score
Hihi,
i am travelling to new zealand with my 2 primary school kids. please give me your valuable advise if my iternary looks ok. thanks!

North Island
4-Nov Arrive Auckland(11am) > Rorotua
5-Nov Rorotua
6-Nov Rorotua > Hobbiton > Glowworm Cave
7-Nov Rorotua>Auckland>Queenstown
South Island
8-Nov Queenstown> Glenochy > Arrowtown
9-Nov Queenstown > Te Anau> Milfound Sound
10-Nov Te Anau > Lake Tekapo
11-Nov Lake Tekapo > Mount Cook
12-Nov Lake Tekapo > Akaroa/Christchurch
13-Nov Christchurch > Kaikoura
14-Nov Kaikoura > Hokitika
15-Nov Franz Josef and Fox Glacier
16-Nov Wanaka
17-Nov Wanaka
18-Nov Wanaka> Queenstown > Auckland

winguy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, need lots of help as this is our first time to New Zealand South Island. Going in April 2018. Thanks for all the previous replies.

Day 1:
- Arrive at CHC, drive to Lake Tekapo/Pukaki area
- Sleep at Lake Tekapo/Pukaki area
Day 2:
- Tour Mount Cook and Lake Tekapo/Pukaki area
- Sleep at same place as Night 1 (Lake Tekapo/Pukaki area)
Day 3:
- Photoshoot at Lake Tekapo/Pukaki area
- Night shoot at Lake Tekapo
- Sleep at same place as Night 1 (Lake Tekapo/Pukaki area)
Day 4:
- Drive to Queenstown. Photoshoot at Lake Wanaka along the way. Photoshoot at Queenstown.
- Sleep at Queenstown
Day 5:
- Queenstown
- Sleep at Queesntown
Day 6:
- Queenstown
- Sleep at Queesntown
Day 7:
- Drive to Te Anau
- Sleep at Te Anau
Day 8:
- Milford Sound
- Sleep at Te Anau
Day 9:
- Drive to Fox Glacier via Haast Pass (?)
- Sleep at Fox Glacier
Day 10:
- Tour Fox Glacier, Lake Matheson
- Sleep at Fox Glacier
Day 11:
- Drive to CHC via Arthur's Pass (?)
- Sleep at CHC
Day 12:
- CHC
- Sleep at CHC
Day 13:
- Depart CHC

How is the above itinerary?

Have some further queries:

Q1. For Night 1 accommodation at Lake Tekapo/Pukaki area, I looked at Google maps and saw Twizel. Is this a suitable place to stay, considering:
a. Day 2: - Tour Mount Cook and Lake Tekapo/Pukaki area
b. Day 3: - Photoshoot at Lake Tekapo/Pukaki area. - Night shoot at Lake Tekapo
c. Day 4: - Drive to Queenstown (if sleep at Tekapo then this drive will take even longer and some time is lost.)
Any alternatives to Twizel?

Q2. For Day 9, possible to drive from Te Anau to Fox Glacier (>6 hours)? Or better to sleep somewhere in between like Wanaka?

Q3: For Day 11, drive from Fox Glacier to CHC via Arthur's Pass (>6 hours). Is it better to stop and sleep somewhere in between (forgo touring CHC on Day 12), if so where?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Q1. For Night 1 accommodation at Lake Tekapo/Pukaki area, I looked at Google maps and saw Twizel. Is this a suitable place to stay, considering:
Don't forget to check the moonphase before buying ticket. :s13:

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
cus he mentioned wanna take night photo at lake tekapo.
if you go there during full moon it is hard take to any stunning milky way photo.
Oh... Thanks for the tips!
I am going tekapo to see stars too. So i shld be avoiding full moon as well

sendtolee

Reaction score
Have some further queries:

c. Day 4: - Drive to Queenstown (if sleep at Tekapo then this drive will take even longer and some time is lost.)
Any alternatives to Twizel?

Q2. For Day 9, possible to drive from Te Anau to Fox Glacier (>6 hours)? Or better to sleep somewhere in between like Wanaka?

Q3: For Day 11, drive from Fox Glacier to CHC via Arthur's Pass (>6 hours). Is it better to stop and sleep somewhere in between (forgo touring CHC on Day 12), if so where?

Thanks!

Q1
Some sacrifice is required. If too far from Takapo, then more time driving from accommodation to Tekapo because you are planning activities in Tekapo. I prefer to stay near Tekapo and longer drive to Queenstown.

Q2 and Q3
It depends on how comfortable and how experienced you are with long drives. Long drives need breaks in between. Please note the roads are windy and high winds in some areas.
I would not be too ambitious to cover so many areas in a compressed itinerary. Holiday is a relaxing time not stressed to get from A to B. End up unable to enjoy the beautiful scenery along the journey.
I have not gone beyond 60km/h in NZ as I wanted to enjoy the scenery and come back home safe and healthy.

winguy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Q1
Some sacrifice is required. If too far from Takapo, then more time driving from accommodation to Tekapo because you are planning activities in Tekapo. I prefer to stay near Tekapo and longer drive to Queenstown.

Q2 and Q3
It depends on how comfortable and how experienced you are with long drives. Long drives need breaks in between. Please note the roads are windy and high winds in some areas.
I would not be too ambitious to cover so many areas in a compressed itinerary. Holiday is a relaxing time not stressed to get from A to B. End up unable to enjoy the beautiful scenery along the journey.
I have not gone beyond 60km/h in NZ as I wanted to enjoy the scenery and come back home safe and healthy.

Thanks for the reply.

I swapped Queenstown and Te Anau, so going north there is a break at Queenstown first before Fox Glacier. Is this better?

There is still one long journey from Fox Glacier to CHC. Some options:

1. As written below. Drive from Fox Glacier to CHC. Sleep at CHC and tour CHC on Day 12.

2. Drive to Greymouth, return the car, and take Tranzalpine train (1.05pm at Greymouth) to CHC.
a. Problem is once at CHC, how to get to hotel from railway station?
b. And for Day 12, need to rent car for 1 more day to get around CHC? Or are there convenient public transport in CHC?

3. Stop somewhere in between and stay there for 1 night. Hokitika? Greymouth? Tradeoff is will be touring there instead of CHC, as most of Day 12 will be spent driving from there to CHC.

Which option is recommended?
Personally I'm more inclined towards going straight from Fox Glacier to CHC because:
i. 1 less destination/hotel
ii. Reach CHC earlier (late on Day 11). Day 12 no stress.
So if I were to choose, it is between option 1 and 2. Concern of option 1 is the long self-drive, concern of option 2 is the transport arrangement after reaching CHC railway station.
Thanks.

Day 1:
- Arrive at CHC, drive to Lake Tekapo
- Sleep at Lake Tekapo
Day 2:
- Mount Cook, Lake Pukaki and Lake Tekapo
- Sleep at Lake Tekapo
Day 3:
- Photoshoot at Lake Tekapo
- Night shoot at Lake Tekapo
- Sleep at Lake Tekapo (3 nights)
Day 4:
- Drive to Queenstown. Photoshoot at Queenstown.
- Sleep at Queenstown (1 night)
Day 5:
- Drive to Te Anau
- Sleep at Te Anau
Day 6:
- Milford Sound.
- Sleep at Te Anau (2 nights)
Day 7:
- Drive to Queenstown
- Sleep at Queenstown
Day 8:
- Queenstown
- Sleep at Queenstown (2 nights)
Day 9:
- Drive to Fox Glacier via Haast Pass
- Sleep at Fox Glacier
Day 10:
- Fox Glacier, Lake Matheson
- Sleep at Fox Glacier (2 nights)
Day 11:
- Drive to CHC via Arthur's Pass (?)
- Sleep at CHC
Day 12:
- CHC
- Sleep at CHC (2 nights)
Day 13:
- Depart CHC

sendtolee

Reaction score
@winguy

Fox Glacier to CHC is doable, just take it easy and have frequent breaks.

Don't need car in CHC, public transport easily available. Parking in CHC is expensive and limited car parks.

Railway station to hotel, ask hotel for directions.

winguy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@winguy

Fox Glacier to CHC is doable, just take it easy and have frequent breaks.

Don't need car in CHC, public transport easily available. Parking in CHC is expensive and limited car parks.

Railway station to hotel, ask hotel for directions.

Thanks for reply.

I think I'll drive from Fox Glacier to CHC then.

So for Day 11, upon reaching CHC, return car directly?
https://www.apexrentals.co.nz/location-instructions/christchurch-city-normal-hours-drop-off
Friend recommended Apex. It says We will provide a free transfer to your hotel or motel in the CBD prior to 4pm. Possible to reach this place before 4pm?

Or do people just leave the car parked at hotel, get around CHC with public transport, then on last day drive to airport to return the car? Thanks.

hawkwind

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for reply.

https://www.apexrentals.co.nz/location-instructions/christchurch-city-normal-hours-drop-off
Friend recommended Apex. It says We will provide a free transfer to your hotel or motel in the CBD prior to 4pm. Possible to reach this place before 4pm?

Or do people just leave the car parked at hotel, get around CHC with public transport, then on last day drive to airport to return the car? Thanks.

Yes, start out early and you should reach before 4pm with one or two breaks.
For you last day at CHC, book a hotel near the airport. They usually have shuttle service to the airport at all times of the day.

sendtolee

Reaction score
Thanks for reply.

For me, I always start early...7am. Tea breaks after 2 hours, then lunch break, then another tea break after 2 hours.
Just return the car, use public transport in CHC.
Within city, it is walkable.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it easy to get ard by public transportation in auckland?
I am planning to rent car from Auckland airport on day 1 to drive to other parts of North island. Will visit Auckland only on day 8, before flying off to CHC on day 9. Shld i keep the car to get ard Auckland, or return car at airport then take public transport to city?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.