What coding languages to learn to make my own webpage

clifftan94

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm interested to learn how to make my own webpage and eventually publish my own products on the site.

I've recently taken up online courses to learn HTML and plan to move onto CSS eventually. ( these 2 languages were recommended to me by friends and certain online site).

In your opinion are these languages good foundations to start with? what should I look out for? I've yet to delve into researching how to host my server etc and stuff so it would really help if anyone with experience could offer some guidance on the path I should take to achieve my goals !:s12::s12::s12:

Cheers!:):)

finalforce

Reaction score
I think learning is easier if you do while learning. For a shop, maybe you can dive into the open source CMS systems and try it out. Then you can see what you can learn to edit it better. One open source is PrestoShop

stan216

Reaction score
Web page: HTML, Javascript, CSS.

SQL for database, so you can have a webpage that utilises data for a dynamic page (think facebook, forums etc. Page layout all the same, but different data). I would suggest JSP, because it uses Java, so when you feel like it, move on to do android programming.

And one of: PHP or JSP, to process data input/output.

clifftan94

Reaction score
I think learning is easier if you do while learning. For a shop, maybe you can dive into the open source CMS systems and try it out. Then you can see what you can learn to edit it better. One open source is PrestoShop

read thru the online description of what a cms is but my take away is that it simplifies the creation of webcontent? meaning add photos videos all that easier to do than traditional HTML + JAVA + CSS? am I having the right idea?:s11:

i'll look into presto shop after I finish my html course. haha still noob wanna get a good foundation of how to structure stuff :s12: thanks a lot tho !

Web page: HTML, Javascript, CSS.

SQL for database, so you can have a webpage that utilises data for a dynamic page (think facebook, forums etc. Page layout all the same, but different data). I would suggest JSP, because it uses Java, so when you feel like it, move on to do android programming.

And one of: PHP or JSP, to process data input/output.

so JSP is a kind of SQL?:s22: haha wont be looking into android so soon. need to learn the basics first. Thanks tho !

finalforce

Reaction score
Yes correct using cms is much, much easier than creating your own website and then designing all components from scratch.

If you do just basic html + javascript + css you'll get a website that looks like it's 20 years old. Of course, if you have a shop, then you need database as well.

If you want to do dynamic website, one way is to do complex javascript. Like node.js (I'm learning to do it now myself)

kuma-mon

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
read thru the online description of what a cms is but my take away is that it simplifies the creation of webcontent? meaning add photos videos all that easier to do than traditional HTML + JAVA + CSS? am I having the right idea?

:s11:

i'll look into presto shop after I finish my html course. haha still noob wanna get a good foundation of how to structure stuff

:s12:

so JSP is a kind of SQL?

:s22:

Hi,

Yup cms is an online tool or service that allows you to create website without having to know HTML, CSS or other web related programming languages. You can use their templates, drag certain elements like photos/videos into your webpage, cuztomise it to your liking. They even have ecommerce plugins but you have to pay a price monthly. Examples are wordpress, wix.com, weebly.

If you want to test your foundation, you can use notepad++ or sublimetext. It's free and it helps you to separate elements of your code to different colours.

JSP is java server page. Its a more complicated page compared to a typical HTML page. Too advance for you. Mostly developers use jsp pages to handle server actions dynamically.

chenaz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1) CSS : u can use bootstrap
2) Javascript
3)Jquery: bootstrap certain action requires jquery. Can do a lot more and work like Javascript also.
4) HTML

These 4 enough for u already.

kevintirta

Reaction score
Free learning coding platform with structured roadmap (Coursera free version))

for people who want to start to learn coding but do not want to spend money first.

I found a structured learning platform that is going to launch soon, they provide progress tracker, roadmap, and collaboration with other coders.

Even though the content may not be very structured like a Coursera, Udemy course, the platform definitely worth a try for free resources.

I will be sharing my review after trying it for a while, Cheers!

This Specialization covers how to write syntactically correct HTML5 and CSS3, and how to create interactive web experiences with JavaScript. Mastering this range of technologies will allow you to develop high quality web sites that, work seamlessly on mobile, tablet, and large screen browsers accessible. During the capstone you will develop a professional-quality web portfolio demonstrating your growth as a web developer and your knowledge of accessible web design. This will include your ability to design and implement a responsive site that utilizes tools to create a site that is accessible to a wide audience, including those with visual, audial, physical, and cognitive impairments.

Roy313

Reaction score
Perhaps not the best for your current task, but Python is very versatile and useful for many cases.

jackoats.sg

Reaction score
You can consider the modern CMS framework Strapi . It is a Node.js (JavaScript) framework. HTML, CSS, & JavaScript knowledge is always required.

On hosting, you can consider Google Cloud, they offer USD 300 credits for you to host your site. Use it well and your first year is literally free.

The government has some grants for shops going online, which might cover some of your cost, and perhaps the vendors can help you get started.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.