Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Announced!

BirdbrainZ

Master Member
Reaction score
I go search. Not cheap now at lazada.

Sent from Sony E6853 using GAGT
I hear from other members that you are able to get local websites to buy and ship the kindles from the US to Singapore for you. The ones I know of are Uskoop and Ezbuy.

You may like to know that Amazon US has occasionally been lowering the prices on their Kindle models of late. You can check in on their offers every couple of weeks if you want to get one shipped from the US. Another option would be to wait till the next festive sale and checking the local prices again to see if you can get one at a discounted price.

When you purchase a Kindle Paperwhite, do make sure it is the current model, and that the embossed Kindle name on the surface is in black (not white).

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

liverpoolz

Master Member
Reaction score
bought a few extra tempered glass screen protector for kindle white.
willkng to let go, meet up at nel station. pls pm if interested.

PandoraZone

Reaction score
Hi! If I were to purchase Kindle voyage directly from Amazon US without VPN and US credit card, how should I go by making my purchase?

Will I be entitled to free e-books like those I purchased off lazada or local distributors?

What should I look out for to purchase a set without/limited adv?

jeffyen2

Reaction score
Hi! If I were to purchase Kindle voyage directly from Amazon US without VPN and US credit card, how should I go by making my purchase?

Will I be entitled to free e-books like those I purchased off lazada or local distributors?

What should I look out for to purchase a set without/limited adv?

You can purchase without a vpn or a US credit card. However, you address needs to be a US one (which you can obtain from sites such as comgateway.com)

Amazon has many free books available. The ads version is cheaper and the ads never appear in the books.

PandoraZone

Reaction score
You can purchase without a vpn or a US credit card. However, you address needs to be a US one (which you can obtain from sites such as comgateway.com)

Amazon has many free books available. The ads version is cheaper and the ads never appear in the books.

Thank you. Can I conclude the lazada free 9000 ebooks are those $0.00 books from Amazon?

Upon purchasing the books, do I need a US card or prime subscriber and my Amazon account has to link to my kindle with the same registered email?

PandoraZone

Reaction score
I hear from other members that you are able to get local websites to buy and ship the kindles from the US to Singapore for you. The ones I know of are Uskoop and Ezbuy.

You may like to know that Amazon US has occasionally been lowering the prices on their Kindle models of late. You can check in on their offers every couple of weeks if you want to get one shipped from the US. Another option would be to wait till the next festive sale and checking the local prices again to see if you can get one at a discounted price.

When you purchase a Kindle Paperwhite, do make sure it is the current model, and that the embossed Kindle name on the surface is in black (not white).

maxresdefault.jpg

I've noticed uskoop website prompted me the Kindle link I provided require special concierge service.
Have you done a price comparison on the two local shipping sites?

BirdbrainZ

Master Member
Reaction score
I've noticed uskoop website prompted me the Kindle link I provided require special concierge service.
I haven't actually used those services before, so I'm not sure about the prices.

ubermaw

Reaction score

checked out uskoop before; their rates are really crazy. USD TO 2.2 SGD is too high, even if you're accounting for shipping

jeffyen2

Reaction score
Thank you. Can I conclude the lazada free 9000 ebooks are those $0.00 books from Amazon?

Upon purchasing the books, do I need a US card or prime subscriber and my Amazon account has to link to my kindle with the same registered email?

I cannot confirm that. It could be that there are many pirated books that are in those packages. Personally I feel authors should be paid unless they don't want to for various reasons.

You can just use your normal credit card to buy books. You don't need a credit card to associate your Kindle to your amazon account.

hnzfaz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can just use your normal credit card to buy books. You don't need a credit card to associate your Kindle to your amazon account.

No need to get amazon gift cards anymore? My purchase of ebooks failed months ago even I used gift card when I bought via kindle paperwhite (instead of using pc). I haven't tried since. Any update is appreciated:

Can we now use our actual SG address to register for the device (for the purpose of purchasing ebooks later)?
Can we use locally issued debit/credit card to make purchases (via kindle device and pc)?
Can we skip using vpn?

Thanks.

BirdbrainZ

Master Member
Reaction score
I go search. Not cheap now at lazada.
If you are still in the market for a Kindle Paperwhite, it would appear that Lazada has them on sale again at SGD $173.90 for the black colour, and SGD $182.90 for the white colour.

https://www.lazada.sg/amazon-kindle...tml?spm=a2o42.010200000000.0.0.lFrSuy&sc=IaY=

If you are able to somehow get your hands on Lazada gift voucher or buy them at a discount, you can further reduce the price. Do bear in mind that you are only able to apply 1 voucher code during checkout with Lazada.

happyascanbe

Reaction score
Personally, I don't think now's the best time to buy gadgets from Lazada. Most can be overpriced...definitely not for the budget-conscious!

jeffyen2

Reaction score
No need to get amazon gift cards anymore? My purchase of ebooks failed months ago even I used gift card when I bought via kindle paperwhite (instead of using pc). I haven't tried since. Any update is appreciated:

Can we now use our actual SG address to register for the device (for the purpose of purchasing ebooks later)?
Can we use locally issued debit/credit card to make purchases (via kindle device and pc)?
Can we skip using vpn?

Thanks.

I think the answer is a qualified yes to the questions. I haven't got any feedback to the contrary from my customers for quite a long time now. However I guess in your situation just stick to the most conservative 'buy books on the PC with a US vpn+US billing address (which won't actually be used)+gift cards' method. And clear all 'amazon cookies' in your browser and switch on the vpn before you start the browsing/buying process.

nicepal

Reaction score
Hmm.. long time no surf this thread ever since my wife took over my Oasis to use.

Some said bought from Amazon Japan Store seems lower when come to currency convertion.
I am not very sure as I never tried the Japan Store.

Previously I tried using ComGateway. So far is quite okay. I have also tried Singapore's VPost lately for other parts purchase. For comparison,
- VPost shipment cost seems lower when I sent things through vPost and compared the volumetric weight to calculate from CGW.
- However, VPost's update of things arrival at the Vpost seems slower, most of the times seems to take 2 days before the items appeared on the "arrive at your address"
- And also the operating hours in VPost USA is shorter (9am ~530pm) as compared to CGW (830am ~ 7pm). (not sure if I remember the time correctly but I am sure CGW opens earlier and closed later as compared with VPost)

Hope it helps.

curiousify

Reaction score
Hi, my kindle keeps jamming. The screen would freeze and doesn't respond. I would have to restart it. Is it time to change to change a new one? Thanks!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.