Being unpaid when you work for tutoring agencies etc.

121tuition

Reaction score
121 Tuition

No worries, our tuition center is a registered company in Singapore. Check it out in the forum thread under 121 Tuition.:)

suangern

Reaction score
Hello all, just to clear my doubts here.

If a company delayed too long (> 1 month) in paying salary, where can I go to lodge report? CASE? Small claims tribunal?

Thanks.

Last edited:

maychan

Reaction score
quick question: what do you think of submitting copies of academic certificates to tuition agencies? any qualms about this practice?

I'm a tutor myself. Many tuition agencies require me to submit acad certs so they can better mix and match our capabilities to students' requirement. But of course, there are also agencies who do not require you to submit. So if you feels uncomfortable, then look for the next agency who do not require you to submit them!
Cheers! :)

Reaction score
quick question: what do you think of submitting copies of academic certificates to tuition agencies? any qualms about this practice?

It's quite a common practice nowadays for Tuition Agencies to ask for Tutors' qualifications to verify that they indeed have the qualifications which tutors claimed to have when they first sign up for tuition assignments. It's akin to applying for jobs when a job applicant submits these papers to a job agency during job hunting.

This process is a win-win-win for all parties; Parents / Students who had stipulated the tutor qualifications required, Agency who can verify that they are delivering Tutor who met these requirements and of course for Tutors who know they landed onto the tuition assignments without the Tuition Agency boasting about the Tutors' credentials.

One would and should be more concern if there's any tuition agency which promises to match tutors with tuition assignments without first asking to verify their qualifications. From other perspective, these agencies are running risks to recommend a candidate to their client whom they have no assurance that the tutor candidate's qualifications are genuine. It speaks much about how trustworthy such tuition agency is and if you should even be part of their business.

:)

findhometuition

Reaction score
Choosing the right tuition agency in Singapore

Dear HWZ Readers,

I came across this thread and decided to point out something for our fellow tutors out there looking for the right tuition agency. To prevent fraud or complications, choose a credible tuition agency by looking out for this.

Is the tuition agency a registered company? By law, tuition agencies in Singapore has to be an official registered business, and are required to display the "business registration number" on their website. For instance, scroll to the bottom of SMILETutor - SMILETutor - Home Tuition Agency in Singapore | Tuition Centre and you will see something like "SMILETutor Reg No. T14LL0930H".

Tuition agencies without this code are operating ILLEGALLY. Do not engage their services!

Regards,
Rum (Tuition Coordinator from SMILETutor)

remembrance

Reaction score
Nowadays got so many tuition agencies to choose from! I registered for so many agencies as a tutor and only a few got back to me. Most of them require credentials check before assigning an assignment to me.

I hate the 50% first month fee though. I think it is abit too much. Recently, I got "matched" by this agency called "Intelligami" and they offered 25% of the first month fee. Can check out here: intelligami.com. Not bad, when compared to the rest of the agencies. Quite okay I think, I got a sec 2 student from them just last week. Teaching mathematics. Time to polish up on my sums liao hahaha.

onitsuka_1

Reaction score
Have to keep a log of the sessions conducted and make sure student and agency side is aware.. Otherwise may have misunderstanding too..

tcity123

Reaction score
We need Home Tutors!

We have many tuition assignments available islandwide that require home tutors and ex/current school teachers. Pre-school, Primary, Secondary, A-Level, IP, IGCSE, CIE, CSE, IB, Music & Languages. Registration is free.

Please register online at http://www.tutorcity.com.sg/tutor/join.php

Or you can email to admin@tutorcity.com.sg with the following information:

Full name:
Race:
NRIC / FIN:
Handphone No:
Email:
Full Address:
Highest Qualification & Institution:
Your O level grades:
YourA level grades:
Expected rates per hour:

Region you teach (select all those applicable): Central / North / South / East / Northeast / North / Northwest / West
Category (select one): Part-time tutor / Full-time tutor / School Teacher (MOE) / Ex-school teacher (MOE) / NIE Trainee

Years of experience:
Provide a short description of your tutoring experience, your achievements, improvement your tutees showed etc:
List out the subjects you teach in each level:
Preschool -
Primary -
Secondary -
JC-
Music-
Diploma or Degree –

Tutor City
Singapore’s No. 1 choice for Home & Corporate Tutoring Services

myschoolteacher

Reaction score
TEACHERS / TUTORS WANTED MYSCHOOLTEACHER TUITION AGENCY

PASSIONATE ABOUT TEACHING? LOVE WORKING WITH STUDENTS?

JOIN US AS A TUTOR NOW!

We welcome all qualified and experienced private home tutors /teachers /lecturers to register as part-time or full-time tutors with our Tuition Agency. Simply visit us and fill up the form at myschoolteacher.com.sg/register-as-a-tutor-form/ to join our big family and kick start your journey as an educator :)

myschoolteacher

Reaction score
Reliable Home Tuition Agency l My School Teacher Tuition Agency Singapore l Join us Now!

MY SCHOOL TEACHER Tuition Agency

Do you seek a reliable home tuition agency in Singapore that will improve your child’s grades and boost his self-confidence?

MY SCHOOL TEACHER Tuition Agency is your answer. Our home tutors strive to fill the gaps in your child’s education and offer effective supplementary support. With the relaxing environment we provide, your children will be able to thrive and flourish in their academics. You can enjoy the benefits of our services from the comforts of your home. Our private home tuition has built a reputation for flexibility, reliability and professionalism. With our competitive fees, we also assure you full value for your money.

We pay strict attention to the quality of tutors we recruit. We have a large pool of certified MOE teachers and experienced tutors. All our tutors are required to provide proof of qualification and references. Additionally our tuition teachers in Singapore…

• Establish appropriate goals and create a feasible study plan to chart their path of progress

• Motivate children and offer effective tuition to reduce anxiety and the fear of failure

• Help reassess themselves and look at their academic lives beyond their exam results

• Establish a good relationship with parents and students and add long-term value to the child’s academia as well as social development

Your children may be required to work with a single learning style in school. However, our private tuition offers a variety of methods and learning styles, enabling your child to adapt to the method that is easy to understand. Thus, students can speed up their learning process. With tireless effort from our tutors, students can improve on their weak areas, thus achieving better results. Our home tutors also encourage interaction and welcome suggestions from parents.

Today’s competitive society lays an increased emphasis on education. We understand that your child needs to keep pace with other students and perform well in order to stand out and gain recognition. That is why we offer the best tuition for your child.

With fewer distractions, individualized care and attention, your child will be able to perform to the best of their abilities. Our tuition teachers guarantee not only your child’s exam results, but also academic excellence. We will skillfully tutor you and boost your confidence levels to the point where you will not fear exams anymore!

If you have any queries or doubts, do feel free to get in touch with us via telephone or email. Visit us at myschoolteacher.com.sg or call us at +65 91090005 now.

We look forward to hearing from you.

===================================

PASSIONATE ABOUT TEACHING? LOVE WORKING WITH STUDENTS?

JOIN US AS A TUTOR NOW!

We welcome all qualified and experienced private home tutors /teachers /lecturers to register as part-time or full-time tutors with our Tuition Agency. Simply visit us and fill up the form at myschoolteacher.com.sg/register-as-a-tutor-form/ to join our big family and kick start your journey as an educator :)

Thedefenders

Reaction score
Life is tough

I feel like we are currently in a Market down turn, there seem to be an over supply of tutors compared to tutees.

I have registered myself with a few agencies and I'm still awaiting replies for a possible job. Any advice from you guys?

Jasmine855

Reaction score
BE CAREFUL OF NANYANG ACADEMICS

This agent called Mun Yoke from Nanyang Academics went MIA for three months already, after failing to pay me 50% of the first lessons I gave to the students. I advise all tutors to avoid getting involved with this agency as this agency is obviously not up to good.:eek:

Straits times: singapore/education/little-recourse-for-unpaid-freelance-tutors
Facebook: sayNOtoNanyangAcademics/

Jasmine855

Reaction score
As above.
I'm just bringing up this topic as I feel some of our fellow brothers & sisters may have suffered such problems whereby they do tutoring jobs (no contracts) & were unpaid.

If you're unsure what to do for such cases, get the details of the company, people you spoke to, phone numbers etc. and jot it down.

And if you don't know who to turn to, for such cases, you can either refer to CASE or the Small Claims Tribunal as they're the RIGHT PEOPLE that will help settle for you although you need to be patient. :)

Read up on the links given.

And do remember, always have a BLACK & WHITE for any agreement you make.
I hope this thread does help in some way.
How would CASE assist us? And under which section do we file a complaint?

For Small Claims Tribunal need to pay a fee right :( How about CASE?

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
CASE is more for your client (student & their parent) but what they can do for you is to make awareness that their freelance tutor from this agency are not paid.

Your case is to file Small Claims Tribunal but hard for those who have no supporting documents (details like how does payment to your service work & the duration to give you your payment).

How would CASE assist us? And under which section do we file a complaint?

For Small Claims Tribunal need to pay a fee right :( How about CASE?

uthinkubig

Reaction score
New scam tution agency alert. EDUPOINT . It's a tution agency. Refused to pick up calls or message after lesson. Same with parents.

Grammar

Reaction score
This agent called Mun Yoke from Nanyang Academics went MIA for three months already, after failing to pay me 50% of the first lessons I gave to the students. I advise all tutors to avoid getting involved with this agency as this agency is obviously not up to good.:eek:

Straits times: singapore/education/little-recourse-for-unpaid-freelance-tutors
Facebook: sayNOtoNanyangAcademics/
Hi Jasmine855,

Did you manage to get your money in the end? Do you mind sharing more with me. I recently encountered a similar case with the owner of Nanyang Academics, Ethan Lau, the person who was quoted in the ST article in the link you provided.

missgale

Reaction score
Edupoint Tuition Agency

Edupoint tuition agency is basically a scam.

Parents.. please do due diligence in engaging with a tuition agency. Got assigned a tutor who was "vetted" to be qualified with 10 years of experience for my child. Long story short....it ended pretty badly after 2 months of tuition. Agency was rude when I asked for an explanation and insisted that I should have checked if tutor was qualified/suitable for my child. Happy agency when they are waiting for their commission and rude agency after money is received... sums up this unethical tuition agency.

Last edited:

1test11

Reaction score
Looking for experienced Teachers

If you are a well-qualified and experienced Teacher willing to take tuition assignments, join us here

We are NOT a tuition agency.

We are an informal group of Teachers /ex-Teachers giving tuition. Sometimes, our students ask us to recommend Teachers who teach subjects, or at areas that we do not travel to. We can refer you.

We do NOT take any referral fees.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.