Vinyl flooring

lunaking

Reaction score
Hi, anyone do vinyl flooring for your house?
Any regret/ complaint?

Which brand is good?

jackyfoo80

Reaction score
It actually depends on what kind of vinyl they using. Company branding aside, the thicker the vinyl the better its. Fyi my resale unit is using this luxury vinyl tiles (clip on type) thickness bout 5mm.

lunaking

Reaction score
It actually depends on what kind of vinyl they using. Company branding aside, the thicker the vinyl the better its. Fyi my resale unit is using this luxury vinyl tiles (clip on type) thickness bout 5mm.

Yes, vinyl is cheaper, but i am worried about water seeping in thru the gaps and resulting in bad smell. Saw some bad complaints online overseas so i am asking if there is similar issue in singapore hdb.

EmPtYsOuLz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thought long and hard about which vinyl type to get (Evorich vs Lurf etc)

Ended up getting tiles instead
Don't need worry about scratch, water seepage, discoloration, sink in after long term furniture placement, uneven squeaking sounds (especially if overlaying on old floors) or VOC
But paid a bomb

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A3003 using GAGT

kingfisher2

Reaction score
Not really true, heavy traffic places like hospital and mall are using thickness of 2.5mm only.

cis2910

Reaction score
Not really true, heavy traffic places like hospital and mall are using thickness of 2.5mm only.

I agree the thickness of vinyl doesn't really contribute to the durability.

On the other hand, vinyl with 4.5mm or 5mm are made for clicking installation (each piece of vinyl click onto another piece of vinyl), those 1.8mm or 2mm vinyl are made for sticking installation (each vinyl piece come with self adhesive sticking glue that simply stick onto the floor).

While hospital uses big vinyl sheet, not the same vinyl type we used for home flooring. Anyway, I worked in hospital before and had seen contractor used superglue to stick the big vinyl sheet onto the hospital's floor.

billthegeek

Reaction score
SingFloor - Singapore wood vinyl flooring
In singapore, vinyl flooring can cost between $6-10 per sq ft. Depends on the quality of the product.

The good thing about vinyl is that it is easy to install and can be made to look like wood or tile. It could dent and tear easily. But actually it is relatively waterproof and can withstand standing water. So sometimes people recommend it to be used for kitchen.

Last edited:

cis2910

Reaction score
SingFloor - Singapore wood vinyl flooring
In singapore, vinyl flooring can cost between $6-10 per sq ft. Depends on the quality of the product.

The good thing about vinyl is that it is easy to install and can be made to look like wood or tile. It could dent and tear easily. But actually it is relatively waterproof and can withstand standing water. So sometimes people recommend it to be used for kitchen.

It is true about vinyl is water proof, I DIY my kitchen flooring with vinyl last year.

Before sticking the vinyl onto the HDB kitchen tile, I tested by soaked a piece of vinyl in the water and it was still perfect after 2 days, no single sign of bloated or thorn.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I agree the thickness of vinyl doesn't really contribute to the durability.

On the other hand, vinyl with 4.5mm or 5mm are made for clicking installation (each piece of vinyl click onto another piece of vinyl), those 1.8mm or 2mm vinyl are made for sticking installation (each vinyl piece come with self adhesive sticking glue that simply stick onto the floor).

While hospital uses big vinyl sheet, not the same vinyl type we used for home flooring. Anyway, I worked in hospital before and had seen contractor used superglue to stick the big vinyl sheet onto the hospital's floor.
Vinyl sheet is different from those vinyl "slabs" which are installed piece by piece.

darkangelic88

Reaction score
I've read that vinyl flooring can cause a stench and become mouldy if the water seeps inside. Anyone know if this is true?

liaibw1519

Reaction score
yeap... vy satisfied and glad we chose vinyl.. latest new vinyl, clip type, practically really waterproof, no seepin no absorbin no nothing... water juz simply puddling on top (we experiment for 6hrs haha) :s13::s13: best is no glue for easy replacement next round resale, if ever

darkangelic88

Reaction score
Care to share which company you used? Thanks

yeap... vy satisfied and glad we chose vinyl.. latest new vinyl, clip type, practically really waterproof, no seepin no absorbin no nothing... water juz simply puddling on top (we experiment for 6hrs haha) :s13::s13: best is no glue for easy replacement next round resale, if ever

whwtan

Reaction score
drop me a text so I can share pics... all in HP not in my tablet, sorry

hi Liaibw,

Can I trouble you to send me those pictures? I am unable to send you a private message as HWZ requires me to have more posts before I am able to send them. [Weird considering I have been registered for years and I never had problems in the past. I'm guessing it's for improved security/spam measures which I can understand and agree with.]

Phyphy

Reaction score
It is true about vinyl is water proof, I DIY my kitchen flooring with vinyl last year.

Before sticking the vinyl onto the HDB kitchen tile, I tested by soaked a piece of vinyl in the water and it was still perfect after 2 days, no single sign of bloated or thorn.

If you were to remove the vinyl, will it have stain on your tiles?

cis2910

Reaction score
If you were to remove the vinyl, will it have stain on your tiles?

Basically, there are interlocking vinyl and self-adhesive vinyl.

For interlocking type, there will be no stain on the tiles since the vinyl are installed by interlocking each other, and these vinyl can be reused if you want to.

As those self-adhesive vinyl, it is cheaper in cost and cannot be reused, the vinyl will broken when you removed these vinyl, there will be some residual glue's stain on the tiles, but it can be removed by using some chemical such as thinner or tarpin.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.