Back from South island New Zealand

sendtolee

Reaction score
Is it easy to get ard by public transportation in auckland?
I am planning to rent car from Auckland airport on day 1 to drive to other parts of North island. Will visit Auckland only on day 8, before flying off to CHC on day 9. Shld i keep the car to get ard Auckland, or return car at airport then take public transport to city?

If you are referring to city areas and not suburbs, then it is walkable.

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
eh, anyone travel with qantas before to nz? their flight transit at sydney when going and Brisbane when coming back to sg. the stopover time is a couple of hours. max should be <= 6 hours like that.

do we need to apply for visa? for singaporean or thai nationality?
i see this liao still a bit blur.

http://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/Form/Immi-FAQs/do-i-need-a-visa-to-transit-through-australia

i mean i think we dont need to apply for visa since it is < 8 hrs. but how do i know if i need to clear the Immigration?

going.

ZcN6sMO.png

coming back

NHmI8kF.png

sendtolee

Reaction score
eh, anyone travel with qantas before to nz? their flight transit at sydney when going and Brisbane when coming back to sg. the stopover time is a couple of hours. max should be <= 6 hours like that.

do we need to apply for visa? for singaporean or thai nationality?
i see this liao still a bit blur.

http://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/Form/Immi-FAQs/do-i-need-a-visa-to-transit-through-australia

i mean i think we dont need to apply for visa since it is < 8 hrs. but how do i know if i need to clear the Immigration?

going.

ZcN6sMO.png

coming back

NHmI8kF.png

When you arrive, look for transit. If not sure, ask the air stewardess or ground staff. Just don't get out of the airport.
Most important, if you have check in luggage, ask to check-in to last stop, check the luggage tag to ensure before you leave the counter.

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When you arrive, look for transit. If not sure, ask the air stewardess or ground staff. Just don't get out of the airport.
Most important, if you have check in luggage, ask to check-in to last stop, check the luggage tag to ensure before you leave the counter.

eh, im asking if i need visa?

think u get me wrong?

cause i see somewhere that there's some transit visa for aussie. so im a little confused.

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

winguy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, start out early and you should reach before 4pm with one or two breaks.
For you last day at CHC, book a hotel near the airport. They usually have shuttle service to the airport at all times of the day.
For me, I always start early...7am. Tea breaks after 2 hours, then lunch break, then another tea break after 2 hours.
Just return the car, use public transport in CHC.
Within city, it is walkable.

Thanks for the replies.

As suggested will probably return car directly before 4pm.

Will probably stay at city area instead of airport hotel. How does one get from CBD to airport? Read that there is this thing called super shuttle. Ask hotel to book for me one day in advance?

More questions to follow. Am thinking whether to go te anau. It would 1 more location and more travelling time. Probably not going to see glow worm cave. If only milford sound, better to just save the trouble and go from queenstown instead? Is so, any other stops along the way worth sleeping over? Wanaka? Thanks

sendtolee

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

As suggested will probably return car directly before 4pm.

Will probably stay at city area instead of airport hotel. How does one get from CBD to airport? Read that there is this thing called super shuttle. Ask hotel to book for me one day in advance?

More questions to follow. Am thinking whether to go te anau. It would 1 more location and more travelling time. Probably not going to see glow worm cave. If only milford sound, better to just save the trouble and go from queenstown instead? Is so, any other stops along the way worth sleeping over? Wanaka? Thanks

Te Anau is more than glow worm cake. Can take a half day cruise, watch a short movie about Te Anau, take a 2 hours plane ride, hike.
I would prefer to stay 1 night in Milford Sound to really experience the darkness and silence, and see a bunh of fireflies. The experience is different.
There are airport shuttle bus available, you can book yourself or ask hotel to book.

sendtolee

Reaction score

Your pics showed estimated 2.5 hours transit in Sydney and 4.5 hours in Brisbane. Don't have 6 hours. Plus it is not an overnight transit. So the regulations was clear on the criteria on not needing a transit visa.
If you leave the airport or go to customs, you will need a visa.
In my earlier post, to use the transit lane and not go to customs.

Last edited:

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your pics showed estimated 2.5 hours transit in Sydney and 4.5 hours in Brisbane. Don't have 6 hours. Plus it is not an overnight transit. So the regulations was clear on the criteria on not needing a transit visa.
If you leave the airport or go to customs, you will need a visa.
In my earlier post, to use the transit lane and not go to customs.

Yeah, I'm quite sure I don't need it too but so far I get some confusing answer.

1. Based on the criteria, shimesa also does not require visa since < 8hrs, unless he/she needs to leave the transit area.

2. I called up Qantas previously, and their CSO told me, as long as > 2hrs, I require a visa.

Which both are not what the website says. Though, thus far, I still stand with what the website says. Just find it weird with the different answers from different people.

sendtolee

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm quite sure I don't need it too but so far I get some confusing answer.

1. Based on the criteria, shimesa also does not require visa since < 8hrs, unless he/she needs to leave the transit area.

2. I called up Qantas previously, and their CSO told me, as long as > 2hrs, I require a visa.

Which both are not what the website says. Though, thus far, I still stand with what the website says. Just find it weird with the different answers from different people.

If you want to be sure, check with Australian embassy in SG.

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you want to be sure, check with Australian embassy in SG.

Yeah of course.

Thanks for your replies though. Appreciate it.

When I get the answer, will update here again for the benefit of others that may have the issue question in future.

sendtolee

Reaction score
Yeah of course.

Thanks for your replies though. Appreciate it.

When I get the answer, will update here again for the benefit of others that may have the issue question in future.

I am pretty sure airline will always say yes as they do not want to be liable if something goes wrong.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.