Overseas shopping vs local

ZarZar05

Reaction score
Hello!

I'd like to first apologise if my questions seems stupid, or if it is in the wrong thread. It's my first time on discussion forums and I'm pretty lost as to the general rules governing HWZ. Please let me know if this does not belong here, and I'll promptly delete it and move it to the Sony TV thread! Also, please excuse me if I accidentally offend anyone as a result of this post.

I've read through the thread multiple times to try to find an answer to my questions but haven't been able to. I'm terribly sorry if the answer to my questions can be found in the thread - please be assured that I'm not trying to be lazy, and not read before asking. Okay here goes:

I'm actually interested in buying a Sony 49X900E (US version) from Amazon because its so much cheaper than the 49X9000E (European/SG version). The product is sold by Amazon with a 1 year Limited warranty i'm guessing is only valid in the US. Nevertheless i'm considering asking Sony if they would sell an international warranty for that (but this is not the purpose of the post).

My questions stem from two differences I found between the X900E and X9000E specifications, namely the voltage output, and the ATSC/DVB-T2 receiver.

1. Both the X900E and the X9000E has "AC 110-240v 50/60hz 19.5DC" specified in their power/voltage output. Does this mean that this TV can be plugged into a power source with output between 110-240v, and hence I would not have to purchase a step-up transformer to convert from 110v to 220-240v as in the older US TV models?

2. The X900E has a ATSC receiver (i'm ignoring the analog receiver since SG is going to phase out analog by end 2017) but SG broadcasts on DVB-T2. I'm not planning to use the TV to watch local SG programs, but rather to use it as a second screen, for PS4 gaming, for the TV's android TV and Smart TV functions, and all the free movie/TV show apps available on the google play store. Will the lack of a DVB-T2 receiver prevent me from doing the above?

Additionally, if I want to hook the TV up to a mio box (or similar), will the lack of a DVB-T2 receiver in the X900E prevent me from doing so, and can this be corrected by purchasing a DVB-T2 receiver to add on to the X900E?

Sorry if these questions seem silly - I've been googling for the past 2-3 days but haven't been able to find the answers.

Thanks guys!

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm curious how you're going to ship it to Singapore

konjack

Reaction score
Hi ZarZar

Just curious did you get your TV?
I'm thinking of buying exactly the same model 49X900E :)

dexter9898

Reaction score
Either ezbuy or vPost. Shipping + GST adds another $200+

@touchme : thanks! :)

Sony Singapore gives 5 years warranty for all their TV. My friend's Sony TV spoilt one month before the warranty period ends, no spare part available and got a current model albeit no warranty as a replacement set.

Is it worth the hassle to buy from overseas??? :s22:

Redrum88

Reaction score
Sony Singapore gives 5 years warranty for all their TV. My friend's Sony TV spoilt one month before the warranty period ends, no spare part available and got a current model albeit no warranty as a replacement set.

I think buying from overseas really hassle. Wen u want to use the warranty will alot of problem

Tech_newer

Reaction score
There are company doing this and selling the export set with 1 year warranty. I calculated, They still have some profit, but will provide 1 year warranty.

unknownfame

Reaction score
Anyone used reshipper /package forwarder to ship Monitors to SG from USA?
Have any to recommend?

emobeano

Reaction score
Recommendations and advice please

Hi ladies and gents i'm trying to buy furniture from France and Italy, and have them shipped to my place in Singapore via Ocean Freight.

Does anyone have any experience here?

Are there companies to recommend?

I have gotten quotes for CIF from classicdesign.it and Tomassini Arredamenti tomassiniarredamenti.it/en. Unfamiliar with the process so hope to get your feedback and suggestions!

Thanks!

dontscoldme

Reaction score
hi. looking to get a tv from amazon US. samsung q9fn.
wondering if this thread discussion on voltage and dvbt2 still relevant in 2018?

jsjohnsummer@gmail.com

Reaction score
HI Gurus,

i bought a tv from amazon on deals and lucky i managed to get shipped to Singapore and its fantastic . 4k video stunning UHD i liked it but suddenly my electrician noticed my tv says your Tv is 110-120V (which is true since it from US)and told me singapore is 22--240v . Now though i was using it for week time nothing happened but now scared to turn on thing might burn out anytime . So any one suggest me if any one has gone through it and aslo how to solve it. He says need to but step up transfer . but not sure which one is good one and best one ..Any suggestion welcomed

VideoOne2

Reaction score
I would think it's already have auto volt. its just not labelled to indicate 230V.

If it is really 110VAC it would tripped the very moment you turn on 230V.

Last edited:

petetherock

Reaction score
I would think it's already have auto volt. its just not labelled to indicate 230V.

If it is really 110VAC it would tripped the very moment you turn on 230V.

+1
Didn’t notice you have been using it
Lucky it didn’t blow up ha

Kopi Gao

Reaction score
@ TS: Out of curiosity, may I know what motivates you to purchase the TV from Amazon US? Attractive price? TV mot available here? May I know what is the TV brand that you purchased? Thank you!

jsjohnsummer@gmail.com

Reaction score
i feeel so , yeah might have tripp, anyway i ordered PowerPac-ST350 lets see .. i will update you again in week time . let see if Tv blew away or not lol

VideoOne2

Reaction score
If you use the step down transformer it will still work as the TV have auto voltage power supply.

Ours is 230VAC - so it’s a step down to 120V.AC

Please share TV model and size?
Are you able to tune in to local DVB-T2 channels?

How much is the delivery and gst charges?

Appreciate your info sharing greatly.

Last edited:

Alphas

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think your TV is universal power supply 110V-240V. If it’s only 120V, the internal fuse will had blown already.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.