Fathers, is a good primary school really that important for your child?

frenchbriefs

Banned
Reaction score
Think want go good school also must have the capability. Not say stay close can go in. Everyone want go good school, so usually the demand is more than supply. So, no matter how one plan, it will not guarantee future event one. If no the capability, then think probably settle for something lesser to avoid the heartache later after all the time, money and effort end up nothing much.

oh yeah this.....just because u can qualify for a top elite school cutoff point 259 or 260 plus doesnt mean its a good fit for u......often times u end up at the bottom of the pile competing against the best of the best and u end up being average or below average and its one long miserable struggle trying to keep up with ur peers.

many people reach their ceilings quickly and burn out.

orwell76

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
:s13::s13::s13::s13:

ijjit

paisey ~ i totally out of touch with all this locations liao

dunno y i had the impression cat high was in BT

or maybe that was another all boys atas school

I the first batch to move to Bishan St 22
My son in Cat High, I should know better right.

hardwriter

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Think want go good school also must have the capability. Not say stay close can go in. Everyone want go good school, so usually the demand is more than supply. So, no matter how one plan, it will not guarantee future event one. If no the capability, then think probably settle for something lesser to avoid the heartache later after all the time, money and effort end up nothing much.

Precisely! Everyone wants to send their kids to the BEST schools, even though of all the limitations!

But TS is here asking us? Even though his son is due soon..

Obviously TS is

1) not willing to do more for his kid
2) listening to ministers' advice that *every school is a good school*

Sent from SGneeds10MillionPax using GAGT

TzuyuLove

Banned
Reaction score
Most important for pri sch ish distance, when young if need travel far for 6 years will die huan

Get into the top 3 class in pri sch

If xdd time go into too competitive environment he might be demotivated, if can go normal sch but better classes he might do better

I see most of my pri sch class end up quite well

hardwriter

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see many fathers like jin bo chup. Everytime i talk to them, they just say "儿孙自有儿孙福". Just leave their kids to their devices...all like talk until machiam non of their business...

But when the kids grow up, they will evaluate who are the better fathers.

Was it the kid who had a father who could afford the landed property and the maids?

Or was it the "nice" father who stayed in HDB, did charity work and when everyone in the community remembered him?

For me, the clear winner will be the father who could afford to send his son for a stanford MBA. The one who can subsequently work in Wall Street, etc.

The key here is to give your kids a choice. Not to limit their choices!

Ethan_

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Precisely! Everyone wants to send their kids to the BEST schools, even though of all the limitations!

But TS is here asking us? Even though his son is due soon..

Obviously TS is

1) not willing to do more for his kid
2) listening to ministers' advice that *every school is a good school*

The child ability asides, if not wrong, nowadays the so called normal school think already cost alot. Those so called good schools think lagi more costly, if want to be able to keep up with the peers. Its not just simply the standard studying nowadays, there are other involvements which cost money, besides the techno devices, eca, etc. The investment think is not cheap.

If don't have the deep pocket to match, think may end up the parent 'crying' more than the child. Not forgetting the parent themselves also have to invest more time in the kid to help them keep up with the peers, have to reflect can they afford the time or not. And when the kid can't make it also, struggling, then it will really be a laugh if both the parent and the kid everyday crying together :s22:.

Also, think live long enough in society should that there is no such thing as best this and that, and certainly no best school. The things most suitable for one's ability is usually the best for one, not what other thinks is the best.

orwell76

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Tao Nan is linked to hokkien huay kuan iirc. Get your genealogical records in order and start volunteering with them?

Now the teng lang school not overrun by tiong meh?

bill&ted

Master Member
Reaction score
The romantic notion is that we still live in a meritocracy system. I would love to believe that too... unfortunately, once a household has a taste of the elite life, they will do whatever they can to ensure their kids will remain in the elite world. This is why the gap between primary schools will grow bigger over time, unless the govt got balls to intervene.

if u manage to send your kid to an elite school, then make sure he doesn't come home with a snobbish elite mindset. If your kid goes to a neighborhood school, then make sure his worldview is as wide as the world itself

half_hippo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Must consider what is suitable for ur child. In my case I have 3 schools within 1km of my place:

School A is a popular 'good' school. It is 700m from my place
School B is a neighbourhood school that is considered 'not bad'. 300m from my place
School C is a 'bad' neighbourhood school with barely enough enrollment each year. It is 600m away.

I chose school B as it is the most convenient, also, my son's character seems to be similar to mine in that he would not do too well if there is too much competition and he does not get the chance to be seen to do well amongst his peers. School A would have to go through balloting and that opens up the possibility of ending up in school C, which is a big no no. As my wife says, almost all schools are good 'enough' schools, except the worst ones where the bad company will drag u below ur potential.

TzuyuLove

Banned
Reaction score
Mine ish peasant pri sch near sleazy geylang but still can produce satki caltech scholar mengshuen means wud

:crazy:

orwell76

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I see many fathers like jin bo chup. Everytime i talk to them, they just say "儿孙自有儿孙福". Just leave their kids to their devices...all like talk until machiam non of their business...

But when the kids grow up, they will evaluate who are the better fathers.

Was it the kid who had a father who could afford the landed property and the maids?

Or was it the "nice" father who stayed in HDB, did charity work and when everyone in the community remembered him?

For me, the clear winner will be the father who could afford to send his son for a stanford MBA. The one who can subsequently work in Wall Street, etc.

The key here is to give your kids a choice. Not to limit their choices!

My school 2 most tokong alumni take scholarship, the father boh chut luei means what?

Sai777

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oh yeah this.....just because u can qualify for a top elite school cutoff point 259 or 260 plus doesnt mean its a good fit for u......often times u end up at the bottom of the pile competing against the best of the best and u end up being average or below average and its one long miserable struggle trying to keep up with ur peers.

many people reach their ceilings quickly and burn out.

This reinforces the importance of getting in a good primary school at early age when "pressure" is a norm and the "culture" is there.

Neighborhood school 259 /260 goes to elite sec sch will take a lot of time of get to know their friends as most of elite already each other in primary sch

hardwriter

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My school 2 most tokong alumni take scholarship, the father boh chut luei means what?

kZa6ifDl.jpg

T1c1Yuml.jpg

klap_hanz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
U go elite schools can become classmates and BFFs with ministers and elites offsprings, next time 靠关系 can also get into the upper circle..

Nowadays in SG, it is not what u know or what u can do, it is who u knows and who knows u...

CCCustom

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm not worried about school for my boy ... his school was already decided even before he's born, and it is his birthright as my son :o

For my girl I want to manipulate a bit. Her mommy's primary school was a smaller non full-school CHIJ. I want to try to have her in 1 of the full-school CHIJs instead. But we're not within 2km of any of the full-schools, and none of them within my constituency so join grassroots also no point. Maybe have to go to mommy's alma mater 1st then try to do inter-IJ transfer :o

fatbastardx

Banned
Reaction score
Go either ACS primary schools is best. Your child can **** up his PSLE and still go ahead to the secondary school at Barker Road. No worries.

frenchbriefs

Banned
Reaction score
This reinforces the importance of getting in a good primary school at early age when "pressure" is a norm and the "culture" is there.

Neighborhood school 259 /260 goes to elite sec sch will take a lot of time of get to know their friends as most of elite already each other in primary sch

huh......u mean to tell me u have so many friends in primary school and they all happen to score well in primary school,cause u know like ur primary school everyone is in em1 and psle 250 260 scorer and they all happen to choose the same elite school as u and once u go to ur new elite sec school u instantly recognize everyone in the 400 student cohort?

if its networking u are worried about,wait until ur child grows up and become a prudential insurance agent or stand chart banker and build a network of idiots and fools to give u 10k income a month.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.