[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS RT-AC86U

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
As usual my WoW latency was yellow again while raiding last night.

Tonight since down for maintenance i will do the swap to the 86U than see how my latency will be. Based on my past experience with WTFast, it usually gives me green latency for WoW so hopefully it will continue working once everything is up.

Sent from Samsung SM-G955F using GAGT

You are too hardcore @ WOW leh .... Hoot the ASUS RT-AC86U until now cannot just down the AC68U and setup meh :s22: You another BNIB box collector too ah? :s22:

Wish i have the luxury of spare time to set up my ASUS ROG X399 Zenith Extreme ..... things are coming in bits and pieces now have to wait for another water-cooling part (mono block) to come down before i can commence.

tInf2IU.jpg

Last edited:

KWSW

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Finally found time to swap out my 68U for the 86U. About the same size or at least feels that for me and the familiar admin page means quick config.

WTFast basic router account or something like seems to be working giving me green latency. Not as low as i would have preferred but maybe cos i need to do more testing which server to connect to.

Will report back again after more testing.

Sent from Samsung SM-G955F using GAGT

SNAG

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows if there are differences between different country sets? Am thinking of getting one from either China or US (where it's much cheaper).

Understand there might be Wifi channel differences, but wonder if this is software (and if it can be changed).

finalforce

Reaction score
Anyone knows if there are differences between different country sets? Am thinking of getting one from either China or US (where it's much cheaper).

Understand there might be Wifi channel differences, but wonder if this is software (and if it can be changed).
Don't think so. There is an option in the wireless settings that can set region. There's China and USA there too I think

finalforce

Reaction score
I think there's a problem with dlna/upnp. My server connected by ethernet seems to be blocked. Doesn't affect wireless servers though

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.16466 ~ 14/09/2017

Security fixed

- Fixed CVE-2017-12754
- Fixed CVE-2017-11345
- Fixed CVE-2017-11344
- Fixed CVE-2017-11420

Bug fixed

- Fixed networkmap wan connection issues.
- Fixed AiCloud related issues.
- Fixed AiProtection related issues.
- Fixed wireless interoperability issue.
- Fixed game boost related issues.
- Fixed ASUS router app connection issues when router does not have public WAN IP.

New

- Added HDD hibernation feature.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 4bdd258dcd60d9d9371ff8b00008e5a3

Download ~> http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC86U/FW_RT_AC86U_300438216466.zip

finalforce

Reaction score
New update seems good! Although updating process was weird.. The screen was just stuck at the applying settings page until I closed it and realised that the router has been updated.

For one my dlna server is now unblocked.

Also there is a new Singapore region in the wireless settings. Doesn't let me set 2.4ghz to channel 12/13 though

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
ASUS AiMesh New Beta for ASUS RT-AC86U is out.

Hi There,

New beta available today for RT-AC68U, RT-AC86U, RT-AC5300, RT-AC88U.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0ByEpTc0fDkeqZUR0dGtSR1o0OE0?usp=sharing

And now we make it a official name as AiMesh.

Here are changelogs

For RT-AC86U, RT-AC68U
1. UI
- Change AMAS to AiMesh.
- Change alogorithm for onboarding progress % count.
- Add reset modem page into QIS.
- Add some hint for user when DHCP Server and wireless authentication type changed.
- www: change the position of separating the ssid of wireless bands checkbox.~~~~~
- www: accroding to QIS 3.0 SPEC, divide WAN selection into 2 steps.
- [Update][AiMesh] www : Modify AiMesh naming.
- AiMesh system.
- Cap : AiMesh router.
- Slave : AiMesh node.
2. Enabled Roaming Feature at default setting.
3. New Sync Configuration
- Telnet
- SSH
- Roaming assistant
- Smart Connect
- MAC Filter
- Syslog
4. Auto reset default when onboarding failure.
5. Add renew ip mechanism in RE mode. [Bug#244]
6. Fixed an issue as RE can be onboarded after user login by IPAddress/index.asp.
7. RE can't be search after on-boarding failure by CAP.
8. Other minor bugs fix.

For RT-AC5300, RT-AC88U
First beta release.

kendo21

Reaction score
Hi mayln, i brought this router during comex, was on a Singtel 1gbps plan but i was only able to get around 500plus mbps DL speed from it through wired connection. i troubleshoot and found that the antivirus on the com is throttling the speed, after uninstalling it. i got addition 100mpbs speed boost. I tried turned off AI protection i got another 100mbps speed boost. May i ask if the next firmware can solve this throttling from the AI protection. So far love the function on it but speed throttling is a no go. upgrade my cables to cat 7 too.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi mayln, i brought this router during comex, was on a Singtel 1gbps plan but i was only able to get around 500plus mbps DL speed from it through wired connection. i troubleshoot and found that the antivirus on the com is throttling the speed, after uninstalling it. i got addition 100mpbs speed boost. I tried turned off AI protection i got another 100mbps speed boost. May i ask if the next firmware can solve this throttling from the AI protection. So far love the function on it but speed throttling is a no go. upgrade my cables to cat 7 too.

Turning all those protection is like going through more inspection at Causeway to JB. The more checks there is, of course will be safer but traffic slow down loh :s13:

kendo21

Reaction score
I experience a huge drop in 5ghz dl speed from my Mobile device. Usually I got 400 plus mpbs but after firmware update dropped to a constant max of 250 mpbs. All speed tested during single usage. Can anyone advise me if it's the hardware problem, I tried playing with all the setting but now the router will sometime lost DHCP connection from PON resulting in temporary DC. Very annoyed, even hard reset don't solve the problem.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I experience a huge drop in 5ghz dl speed from my Mobile device. Usually I got 400 plus mpbs but after firmware update dropped to a constant max of 250 mpbs. All speed tested during single usage. Can anyone advise me if it's the hardware problem, I tried playing with all the setting but now the router will sometime lost DHCP connection from PON resulting in temporary DC. Very annoyed, even hard reset don't solve the problem.

after firmware update, got reset not?

kendo21

Reaction score
after firmware update, got reset not?

Yea hard reset 2 times to see if the problem still presist. Initially after reset 1 time the speed return back to normal 300 to 400mpbs but after awhile dropped back to 250 range. How should i bring down service center for a check?

finalforce

Reaction score
Yea hard reset 2 times to see if the problem still presist. Initially after reset 1 time the speed return back to normal 300 to 400mpbs but after awhile dropped back to 250 range. How should i bring down service center for a check?
Did you enable qos? Or restart your ont?

kendo21

Reaction score
Did you enable qos? Or restart your ont?

Yup.... I did an hard reset on the Ont and it screw up worse lol. Need call the Singtel guy come down reconfigure. I went to do an one to one exchange already. Will update once I set it up.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Restart ont. Not reset it.

Not all models of ont does the automatic profile installation.

If your ont model cannot recover from reset, then the profile can only be set up via technician.

Omg, you just got yourself into a deeper inconvenience..

Yup.... I did an hard reset on the Ont and it screw up worse lol. Need call the Singtel guy come down reconfigure. I went to do an one to one exchange already. Will update once I set it up.

kendo21

Reaction score
PROBLEM SOLVED. Iphone speed at 400 to 500 mbps dl/ul.
Lan around 700 to 800, Satisfied already since it 30m from the ONT.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.