Youtube not streaming after Singtel Network upgrade

Gr3yham3

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but last night, Singtel upgraded their network software. Since then, none of the Youtube videos are able to stream via my wireless network at home. Loading of other websites, streaming of other videos like VIP or Dailymotion have no problems, only youtube is not working for me.

Anyone has any idea what is going on?

Gr3yham3

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
try reset ur router and ont and see if it works.

reset many times liao.. strange thing is that after some testing, i realised that youtube only wont play on my android devices and chrome, whereas i can play it through say, the microsoft edge browser on my PC...

i tried googling n used all e clear cache n chrome extensions n settings steps.. still cannot.. wtf

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
reset many times liao.. strange thing is that after some testing, i realised that youtube only wont play on my android devices and chrome, whereas i can play it through say, the microsoft edge browser on my PC...

i tried googling n used all e clear cache n chrome extensions n settings steps.. still cannot.. wtf

Do power off both ONT/ONR and Router.

Then wait for > 10 minutes and power on the ONT/ONR first.

Wait for the green lights to be stable and then power on the Router, which may take 1 minute.

Do the speedtest for connection speed.

Try stream YouTube...

Please do not double posts / threads ....

Gr3yham3

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do power off both ONT/ONR and Router.

Then wait for > 10 minutes and power on the ONT/ONR first.

Wait for the green lights to be stable and then power on the Router, which may take 1 minute.

Do the speedtest for connection speed.

Try stream YouTube...

Please do not double posts / threads ....

sorry I was not sure where to post also..

yes, i did all the steps.. speedtest speed also tested no problems.. can game, can surf, can go youtube, can play videos from openload/VIP/etc...

e moment i try to play youtube videos from chrome, it just endlessly buffers and wont play.. same for the youtube app on my android devices.. however, youtube plays fine when i use a different browser like mozilla or edge on PC, on when i switch to data instead of wifi on my mobile devices

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sorry I was not sure where to post also..

yes, i did all the steps.. speedtest speed also tested no problems.. can game, can surf, can go youtube, can play videos from openload/VIP/etc...

e moment i try to play youtube videos from chrome, it just endlessly buffers and wont play.. same for the youtube app on my android devices.. however, youtube plays fine when i use a different browser like mozilla or edge on PC, on when i switch to data instead of wifi on my mobile devices

Your solution is available in the Chrome help forum.

Result:

>> disable hardware acceleration:
Go to Chrome Menu > Click Settings > Click Show Advanced Settings > Under 'System' uncheck Use hardware acceleration when available > Restart Chrome.

https://support.google.com/chrome/forum/AAAAP1KN0B0XN7aOH0pvvI?hl=en

For Android on YouTube app.
Some of the options to take;

> Clear the YouTube app's cache.**

> Uninstall and reinstall the YouTube app.

> Update to the newest available version of the YouTube app.

Have you try using Chrome to YouTube.com
Which may end in as mobile YouTube.

So far i do not use Android or phone to watch YouTube, so i won't know much.

Gr3yham3

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your solution is available in the Chrome help forum.

Result:

>> disable hardware acceleration:
Go to Chrome Menu > Click Settings > Click Show Advanced Settings > Under 'System' uncheck Use hardware acceleration when available > Restart Chrome.

https://support.google.com/chrome/forum/AAAAP1KN0B0XN7aOH0pvvI?hl=en

For Android on YouTube app.
Some of the options to take;

> Clear the YouTube app's cache.**

> Uninstall and reinstall the YouTube app.

> Update to the newest available version of the YouTube app.

Have you try using Chrome to YouTube.com
Which may end in as mobile YouTube.

So far i do not use Android or phone to watch YouTube, so i won't know much.

done all these steps too but still cannot

To sum up, I can't find the possible root cause of the problem:

1. Can't be my PC settings: because my mobile devices also cannot stream youtube

2. Can't be the chrome settings: because I can stream youtube on chrome on my mobile with mobile data instead of wifi

3. Can't be wireless network settings: because I can stream youtube with mozilla while connected to my wifi, just not in chrome. i can also stream videos from other sites like VIP or openload on my PC

Real head scratcher...

Last edited:

Kapish

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi try to run these 2 commands in command prompt
then reboot your pc and try again

ipconfig /flushdns
netsh Winsock reset catalog

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
done all these steps too but still cannot

To sum up, I can't find the possible root cause of the problem:

1. Can't be my PC settings: because my mobile devices also cannot stream youtube

2. Can't be the chrome settings: because I can stream youtube on chrome on my mobile with mobile data instead of wifi

3. Can't be wireless network settings: because I can stream youtube with mozilla while connected to my wifi, just not in chrome. i can also stream videos from other sites like VIP or openload on my PC

Real head scratcher...

The problem is Chrome.

Do try to uninstall and reinstall latest Chrome version, if you cannot update to the latest version.
Remember to do your backup on Chrome data, bookmarks, etc; before uninstall.
Most likely the latest may resolved your this issue, as many do reported.

As for YouTube app, there may have update later.
Then you can see if it resolved it by itself or not.

I detected a problem with Chrome as while trying to update to the latest version, it failed.
Error code:3; which mean to uninstall and reinstall Chrome.
For me moi may have to wait as i am doing something else to my system.
Although i don't seem to have issue with YouTube so far and Chrome seem to be running fine for now.

There was an issue few months ago on Chrome giving me this something like virus or malware.
It kept pop-up every time if i did something, unable to remember now.
This happened to both laptops on Chrome only.
Whereas IE do not have that irritating pop-up.
At first thought it is due to IP scam, but after changing IP still no effect.
In the end i use "MS install & uninstall removal tool" and found out a malware installed a program which neither AV and Internet Security software could not detect or removed this program.
After using "MS install & uninstall removal tool" to remove, that pop-up disappear.

This is the way Chrome handle like MS & Windows.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Update:
There are complain on using WiFi on YouTube app.
These are mentioned in the Ggogle store YouTube app.

Gr3yham3

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Singtel techinician came today. He used his android tablet,changed to Singtel router - all cannot. I guess it is a youtube/chrome problem liao

edit: latest update: now youtube works all of a sudden.. dunno if youtube/singtel changed anything on their end.. what a strange episode

Last edited:

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Singtel techinician came today. He used his android tablet,changed to Singtel router - all cannot. I guess it is a youtube/chrome problem liao

edit: latest update: now youtube works all of a sudden.. dunno if youtube/singtel changed anything on their end.. what a strange episode

For the look at it it seems back end issues.

schlep

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack the thread but I am also facing the same issues as TS after the Singtel Fibre network upgrade. I am on the Singtel Unlimited plan.

I have problems with the following:
1) Cannot play videos on Android Youtube app while connecting to Singtel Wifi. The app works if i switch to Singtel Mobile data. Also, videos can be played if I use the Samsung browser, both on Wifi or Mobile data. I have tried on 3 phones - 2 Samsung S8 and a Samsung S7.

2) Cannot play videos on Youtube.com using Chrome browser on my desktop and 2 laptops. However, it works if I am using Microsoft Edge browser. The desktop is connected to my router via LAN cable. The laptop was connected to WIFI and LAN on 2 separate occasions and youtube videos on Chrome does not work.

Things I've done to try and rectify issue 1.
(a) Restart ONT and router. Even reset it overnight for 6 hours.
(b) Change DNS to Google DNS / Getflix DNS or No DNS (i.e. Singtel DNS). Every time I change DNS I will do step (a) again.
(c) Force close, clear Cache and Data on Youtube app
(d) Update Youtube App
(e) Uninstall Youtube app and reinstall Youtube updates.

Things I've done to try and rectify issue 2.
(a) Perform steps (a) and (b)
(b) Clear browser history on Chrome
(c) Reinstall Chrome

All the steps taken were to no avail. Therefore, I think there is some compatibility problems with Singtel fibre connection and Youtube (specifically on the Android app and on Chrome). Is it possible that Singtel is somehow throttling the connection to the app and to the browser?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have you contact Singtel hotline direct to broadband tech support line.
Request them to Refresh your IP Address.
Most likely IP issue.

schlep

Reaction score
Have you contact Singtel hotline direct to broadband tech support line.
Request them to Refresh your IP Address.
Most likely IP issue.
You are right. I didn't call Singtel to reset my IP but there was network upgrade on 11 Sep from 2am to 5am and after that I noticed my IP changed when I woke up in the morning. At the same time, all the issues I had with Youtube went away.
It is interesting how Singtel throttled their connection earlier. It can be so specific to Youtube Apps and Youtube on Chrome.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.