Back from South island New Zealand

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I had done this type of travelling before.
Best to travel early Nov as it is still not into peak season but beware if it is SG school holidays when you go, then be prepared accommodations are not available.
I went 2 weeks before the start of SG school holidays. Other than popular areas and places with little accommodations, I had no problem to walk in to motels.
Even if you don't know where you will be, you will have to be prepared to have a list of accommodations to call and ask for vacancy before you head there. Otherwise, you will be running around to look for accommodations.
Hope this helps.

Thanks! Is there any website for list of accommodation for motels kind other than the standard hotels.com etc.

And would u also recommend Airbnb to motels?

Also. For sim card. Now that starhub this kind has oversea roaming for one time fee. Is it still better to get a nz sim card?

Louislkw

Reaction score
Just a quick check - can we use Singapore driving license to rent a car and drive in NZ? TIA. :)

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nz mobile plan not as advance as ours so it's still quite exp

Better to get the starhub happy prepaid

Thanks! Is there any website for list of accommodation for motels kind other than the standard hotels.com etc.

Also. For sim card. Now that starhub this kind has oversea roaming for one time fee. Is it still better to get a nz sim card?

sendtolee

Reaction score

I usually use agoda, hotels.com, booking.com and airbnb. For these websites, you can actually "like" the shortlisted accommodations so don't have to print out a list.
So in order for them to call you back, you will need a local number. Starhub/M1/Singtel, you can use it to call them but how do they call you back? The number listed on the websites are usually landlines, sometimes mobile number. If lucky can whatsapp call them.
I prefer motels to airbnb. Motels can park car for free and also have cooking facilities, laundry machine.

sendtolee

Reaction score
What about local calls? Nz sim or starhub? Thx

To call anyone in NZ, you can use the starhub prepaid card. But if you need someone to call you, then you will need a NZ local number. They will not call overseas number, unless they also have whatsapp, which is rare, as data plan is expensive there.

faykin

Reaction score
Better to pre-booked if going in mid-november period.

Best to avoid queenstown / wannaka area on 18 Nov or that weekend as they have an international marathon run and almost all accommodations are not available.

I have to re-shuffle my iternary and incur cost due to this marathon.

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I usually use agoda, hotels.com, booking.com and airbnb. For these websites, you can actually "like" the shortlisted accommodations so don't have to print out a list.
So in order for them to call you back, you will need a local number. Starhub/M1/Singtel, you can use it to call them but how do they call you back? The number listed on the websites are usually landlines, sometimes mobile number. If lucky can whatsapp call them.
I prefer motels to airbnb. Motels can park car for free and also have cooking facilities, laundry machine.

Agoda those have listing for motels?

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Best to avoid queenstown / wannaka area on 18 Nov or that weekend as they have an international marathon run and almost all accommodations are not available.

Alamak!!
I will be in Queenstown on 18 nov! And i havent booked accom :(

And alternatives town to stay near Queenstown?

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I'm not going that weekend. Will be another 1-2 weekend .

Any other events on 20+ Nov to first week of December?

belgarathc

Reaction score
Hi all,

We are planning our New Zealand trip in December this year.

Our flights (international in Christchurch, domestic Queenstown to Auckland, intenational out Auckland), Routeburn huts and campervans have been booked so we have to work the itinerary around them.

We are into scenery and non-technical trekking (but not everyday). While we consider ourselves budget travellers (in terms of accommodations, transport and food), we are still willing to pay for a few unique experiences that does not break the wallets.

Below is our itinerary and we welcome any feedback and suggestions. :)

1 11-Dec Mon
SG - Melbourne (Jetstar)

2 12-Dec Tue
Melbourne - Christchurch (Jetstar) - Arthur's Pass

- pickup campervan, buy groceries, overnight at Arthur's Pass

3 13-Dec Wed
Arthur's Pass - Greymouth - Punakaiki

- Short walks around Arthur's Pass (Walkway or/and Devil Punchbowl)
- lunch at Greymouth
- Punaikaki Pancake Rocks
- Overnight Punakaiki

4 14-Dec Thu
Punakaiki - Hokitika (brunch) - Franz Josef Glacier

- Valley walk
- Alpine Cinema
- Overnight in Franz Josef Glacier

5 15-Dec Fri
Franz Josef Glacier - Fox Glacier

- Glacier Hot Pools
- Glacier Walk or Helihike (seems very expensive, are there any way to get onto the glacier besides joining these guided walks?)
- Lake Metheson (Famous mirror lake, 1.5hr circuit walk)
- Overnight in Fox Glacier

6 16-Dec Sat
Fox Glacier - Haast - Wanaka

- Wanaka Tree
- Mount Iron summit
- Overnight Wanaka

7 17-Dec Sun
Wanaka - Te Anau

- Maybe Rocky Mountain Sunrise (thought of Roys Peak but think it is a long hike)
- Settle campervan relocation with Trackhopper
- Overnight Te Anau

8 18-Dec Mon
Te Anau - Milford Sound

- Fiord Cruise at 0855am (we probably should prebook this? As we have one full day here, anything we can do)
- Fiordland National Park
- Overnight in Milford Sound

9 19-Dec Tue
Milford Sound - Routeburn Track (The Divide)

- Start tramping on Routeburn Track (one of NZ's nine great walks)
- Drop off Campervan
- Divide - Howden Hut (1.5 hr) - Lake Mackenzie Hut (4 hr)
- Overnight Lake Mackenzie Hut

10 20-Dec Wed
Routeburn Track

- Lake Mackenzie Hut - Falls Hut (6 hr) - Flats Hut (1.5 hr)
- Overnight Flats Hut

11 21-Dec Thu
Routeburn Track - Glenorchy (0.5h)

- Flats Hut - Routeburn Shelter (2.5 hr) - Glenorchy
- Collect Campervan
- Bennet’s Bluff viewpoint and old Glenorchy wharf
- Overnight Glenorchy

12 22-Dec Fri
Glenorchy - Tekapo

- Overnight in Tekapo

13 23-Dec Sat
Tekapo - Mt Cook

- Drive around Lake Pukaki
- Hooker Valley Hike
- Stargazing
- View Lupin Flowers
- Overnight Mt Cook

14 24-Dec Sun
Mt Cook - Queenstown

- Visit Tasman Lake and Glacier
- Overnight Queenstown

15 25-Dec Mon
Queenstown

- Around Queenstown (any recommended sights and activities?)
- Overnight Queenstown

16 26-Dec Tue
Queenstown - Auckland (Jetstar) - Taupo

- Pick up campervan
- Overnight Taupo

17 27-Dec Wed
Taupo

- Explore Lake Taupo, drive to Matamata
- Tongariro Crossing
- Overnight Taupo

18 28-Dec Thu
Taupo - Rotorua

- Zorbing?
- Overnight Rotorua

19 29-Dec Fri
Rotorua - Hobbiton - Hahei - Coromandel

- We don't really follow LTOR so not sure if we are visiting Hobbiton
- Hot Water Beach
- Cathedral Cove
- Overnight Hahei

20 30-Dec Sat
Hahei - Auckland

- Some outlet shopping?
- Overnight in Auckland

21 31-Dec Sun
Auckland - Singapore

- Return campervan
- Around Auckland before flying home

nbsswap

Reaction score
Any good recommendation for those hop on hop off buses? I'm gonna sometime in December and not driving. Am doing an South Island loop. Do I need to book those tours / bus passes in advance? Is it too late now?

WWH123

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
NZ is not just a city. What hop on hop off buses? If you don't drive, you would need to join a tour.

sendtolee

Reaction score
Any good recommendation for those hop on hop off buses? I'm gonna sometime in December and not driving. Am doing an South Island loop. Do I need to book those tours / bus passes in advance? Is it too late now?

You will have to go on tour if not driving...
There is only buses in between cities/toens, but not very frequent. As tourists would either drive or join those big tour groups with fixed itinerary.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone have recommendations for accommodations in Lake Tekapo, Mt Cook, and Fox Glacier/ Franz Josef Glacier?
TIA :)

Reaction score
AFAIK most of the people use intercity's flexipass or nakedbus's naked passport.
I just back from south island. Now is winter so not peak season yet, i can still book bus ticket the day before. Not sure about the situation in December.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.