help needed on wire home network

ritzcms

Reaction score
bros and sis..

i have wired my whole house with cat6 lan in all my rooms.
Recently i did a inbuilt tv console in my living room and re-mount all my ac casing and my lan casing in my tv console instead of mounting on the wall.

i have no issue with the connection for all rooms except room 3. the distance of the lan wired from ONT -> router -> room 3 is less than 40m.
for all other rooms, the dl and up speed is 900m+ but my room 3 keep limited to 90m+. prior to installing my tv console, everything is running smoothly. i tried re-wiring the cat6 jack for room 3 data point at both ends and my ethernet connection still shows 100mbps while other room showed 1gbps.

can all kind bros and sis please help?

regards

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
bros and sis..

i have wired my whole house with cat6 lan in all my rooms.
Recently i did a inbuilt tv console in my living room and re-mount all my ac casing and my lan casing in my tv console instead of mounting on the wall.

i have no issue with the connection for all rooms except room 3. the distance of the lan wired from ONT -> router -> room 3 is less than 40m.
for all other rooms, the dl and up speed is 900m+ but my room 3 keep limited to 90m+. prior to installing my tv console, everything is running smoothly. i tried re-wiring the cat6 jack for room 3 data point at both ends and my ethernet connection still shows 100mbps while other room showed 1gbps.

can all kind bros and sis please help?

regards

Could it be your device in room 3 can only support fast ethernet, or maybe its support fast ethernet cos of some factors?

ritzcms

Reaction score
Could it be your device in room 3 can only support fast ethernet, or maybe its support fast ethernet cos of some factors?

hmmm. i use the same desktop to test for all rooms. meaning i shift the desktop around.

Prior to the installation of the tv console, it was running at 1gbps

ritzcms

Reaction score
Mayb wire damaged...

but it did not touched the wire that was alr in the casing leh. they only touched the outer where they shift from wall mount to console mount. where i also re-wire the jack. if wire damage, there should be no connectivity instead of just limiting my network at 100mbps ma.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Connect to another LAN Port.
If no available port you may swap to test.
Alternately pull out and reinsert it with a click sound.

moron+genius

Reaction score
but it did not touched the wire that was alr in the casing leh. they only touched the outer where they shift from wall mount to console mount. where i also re-wire the jack. if wire damage, there should be no connectivity instead of just limiting my network at 100mbps ma.
One of the 8 wires may b broken so limited ur speed 2 100mbps. I vaguely recall fast Ethernet needs 6 wires only but I may b wrong. U can get a wire tester 2 check also.

ritzcms

Reaction score
One of the 8 wires may b broken so limited ur speed 2 100mbps. I vaguely recall fast Ethernet needs 6 wires only but I may b wrong. U can get a wire tester 2 check also.

a wire tester can only check whether there is connectivity right? but unable to check whether there is interference or whether all my 8 wires are working correctly?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Rj45 checker can check if all the wires are properly crimped or paired correctly.

Most of the time its due to incorrectly paired keystone or the tip..

a wire tester can only check whether there is connectivity right? but unable to check whether there is interference or whether all my 8 wires are working correctly?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will there still be connection if it was paired incorrectly or i did not crimp well?
cos my ethernet card reflecting orange and red light which indicates interference?

if its not crimped properly, it might work at only 100mbps or doesn't work at all, depending on whether the pair for fast ethernet is crimped properly or not.

LEDs do not reflect interference, it only reflect power/fast or gigabit ethernet.

if its red light, i suspect there is a high chance of crimping error.

ritzcms

Reaction score
if its not crimped properly, it might work at only 100mbps or doesn't work at all, depending on whether the pair for fast ethernet is crimped properly or not.

LEDs do not reflect interference, it only reflect power/fast or gigabit ethernet.

if its red light, i suspect there is a high chance of crimping error.

renfred89, thank you for this insight. so just re-clarifying. so even if it is not crimped properly, chances are there will still be connectivity by running only at 100mbps. am i right to say that?

whereas, the chances for interference due to near electric cables are quite low?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes you are right.

Interference will not drastically reduces the speed to such an extent unless you're saying you're running the Ethernet cable in the same trunk of power cables.. if yes, that's suicide. Lol

renfred89, thank you for this insight. so just re-clarifying. so even if it is not crimped properly, chances are there will still be connectivity by running only at 100mbps. am i right to say that?

whereas, the chances for interference due to near electric cables are quite low?

ritzcms

Reaction score
Yes you are right.

Interference will not drastically reduces the speed to such an extent unless you're saying you're running the Ethernet cable in the same trunk of power cables.. if yes, that's suicide. Lol

hahah. i wont say in the same trunk, but all my cables right now are not covered by any trunking as we modified and mount it on the console. meaning they are pretty near to each other at the back of the console (but i cant see it now)

what are the consequences if it is too near like side by side? will it still drastically reduces the speed and limit the speed to 100mbps?

Last edited:

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will there still be connection if it was paired incorrectly or i did not crimp well?
cos my ethernet card reflecting orange and red light which indicates interference?
Refer to this statements;

There are two LEDs just above the Ethernet port, one upper right (indicates speed of connection) the other upper left (indicates activity level).

For the speed LED, no color = 10mbps, orange = 100mpbs, green = gigabit
For the activity LED no color at all = no link, solid color = linked, blinking = data activity

Last edited:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hahah. i wont say in the same trunk, but all my cables right now are not covered by any trunking as we modified and mount it on the console. meaning they are pretty near to each other at the back of the console (but i cant see it now)

what are the consequences if it is too near like side by side? will it still drastically reduces the speed and limit the speed to 100mbps?

unlikely to have that much of interference considering the voltage in our household is merely at 240V max.

Its not as if its 240kV, for that the electric field generated is much much more according to the formula.

i have ethernet cable trunked beside the power line and it separated by the plastic trunking. the thickness of it is about 2 cm apart and i'm still getting about 940mbps down and up..

wsong2007

Reaction score
1st , make sure all parch cable are Cat 6; next make sure it is not the cat 6 cable problem by bringing the Room 1 PC to room 3 to test.

If Room 1 PC works well in Room 3, means cable Ok .

If Room 1 PC didn't work well in Room 3 , switch the cable at the router end ( to the port that works well in Room1)

That's all I can think of, good luck

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.