AFTERSHOCK PC - Now featuring Nvidia 10 series graphics cards!

chiaRH

Reaction score
hoping for some fix for the fan issue.
the fan keeps turning on/off when I'm just doing light internet browsing.
prime 15.

Are you using the Max-Q one or the older 1060 one? I heard the 1060 one's fan profiles may... not be so good (if true, I doubt aftershock can do anything since it'd be a clevo firmware thing)

razorlala

Banned
Reaction score
Now now, that's close to a personal attack already. Jumping to assumptions faster than a Sim Yang that shoot stray fire nonsense doesn't reflect well on you, I'm personally far far poorer than you can even assume you can think extremely unfortunately for you!
then don't go about insulting an entire group of people if you don't want to be attacked, precious snowflake.
You think the people that NEED to take public transport got a choice over transport fares?
Lol, this is prolly the first time I see ppl comparing who's poorer.

Tell THAT to those students in Polytechnics (especially Ngee Ann Poly who had a reputation of demanding them to purchase notebooks throughout their 3-5 years of study, regardless of family income status) first before commenting things like this here. My first laptop >15 years ago actually failed once every single year of warranty service enough to make them give up on ever repairing because its motherboard keep breaking down during project work and studies becoming a terrible nuisance throughout the campus days.
u speak as tho your poly is responsible for your laptop's failure rate LOL.
Besides, low income families get subsidy for laptops and tuition fees. Also, The last I checked, a big part of those monies come from the middle/higher income group. If u want a diploma, jolly well have its prerequisites. It's not our fault you are born poor. Don't need to play victim here, boy.
If ur really so poor, go jc.
Don't go around complaining if u want an easy way out but unwilling to use money to buy urself a diploma.
I say buy because, imo, poly is so easy it's almost impossible to drop out.
especially when some people conflate the ability to spend good money on things like Aftershock laptops as "loaded" instead of being able to deal expectations of their configurations and budgeting a little more studiously (I've personally seen people who are not so rich buying their systems at the barest of possible configurations due to budget constraints and being able to build in the parts they can pay for helps them plenty). Seriously, if there are enough of people who know how to see things beyond the surface of a product's "price tag" and starts to understand the future opportunistic costs of maintaining such things, probably there would be hope that such a service review site (like one made for Sim Lim Square, created in the wake of that Joker Chew Scandal) would not only last but flourish and keep service standards at their toes, if that's what is required for them to keep business coming.
lol wat an aftershock fan boy. We get it la, aftershock aftersales service sibeh satki. Anybody who criticise them or their services are wrong. Okay?
If u claim you are poor, but choose to buy a HIGH-END/GAMING laptop, even if the price are "reasonable" for its specs, you aren't that poor afterall. A 500bucks laptop does the same stuff, just slowly.
Also, don't expect the whole world to know what's going on inside a laptop.

Last edited:

xheavenic

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are you using the Max-Q one or the older 1060 one? I heard the 1060 one's fan profiles may... not be so good (if true, I doubt aftershock can do anything since it'd be a clevo firmware thing)

1060 one. Fan keeps ramping up even when idle :s22:

chiaRH

Reaction score

Yea guessed so. On notebookreview forum, similar feedback on that model (sager NP8950), the 1060 version has bad fan curves, supposedly 1070 maxQ version has 'fixed' the issue but I don't know for certain.

Without full fan curve controls on clevo control centre theres nothing can be done. And who knows when (or if) they will ever improve control centre software in the near future.

Since the clevo P950HP was the first of its kind I guess all those who got it bore the early adopter risk and out of misfortune there really turns out to have this kind of not-a-defect-but-still-annoying issue.

I had that experience too with my old X15 where the headphone jack audio had severely weak bass and I found out they only fixed it in the next model 1 generation after mine... I bought USB sound card and never used the headphone jack on that thing ever since.

Last edited:

alvinym

Reaction score
quick question - anyone able to share what is the RAM brand that Aftershock uses for their MX15 or Prime15 or likely other models? i guess should be the same for all their laptop model? lol

thanks

chiaRH

Reaction score
quick question - anyone able to share what is the RAM brand that Aftershock uses for their MX15 or Prime15 or likely other models? i guess should be the same for all their laptop model? lol

thanks

I doubt they stick to the same brand all the time, back in Sep 2016 when I got my S17 it was Crucial, in Nov when I bought 8GB more RAM, it was Micron, not sure what it is now.

Last edited:

alvinym

Reaction score
I doubt they stick to the same brand all the time, back in Sep 2016 when I got my S17 it was Crucial, in Nov when I bought 8GB more RAM, it was Micron, not sure what it is now.

ahh okay, my friend might let go one of his sodimm ram and just thought of checking if its the same brand.

thanks for the info!

razorlala

Banned
Reaction score
Which is precisely why I always stress that there's always one thing that cannot be commoditized in any situation: The After-Sales Service Standards of vendors. Dell chose that route after they have bought over Alienware and suffered the consequences, which happened to be the very thing that Aftershock (and other Clevo-based builders around the world) has ensured that their units are worth the money paid for: The "pull factor" of ensuring their machines can remain well-functioning whenever the user needs it, so much that it can be said their very reputation (and survival) literally depends on it!

Like it or not, only DAFT people would pay good money for good design and get horrible service after the money was paid. Like paying increasing fares on MRT Trains to see them break down every few days.

Bad after-sales service standards can at many instances ruin the best-designed and value-for-money machines one can afford to buy, especially if you are after high-performance machines like Gaming Laptops that demands much more than this. Commodification (or outsourcing) of after-sales service often has pretty damaging consequences for the end-user, especially if it is outsourced to people that don't even know what they're doing, literally throwing good money after bad actually!

Hey, I've just contacted dell for some technical issues. its nowhere near what u mentioned leh.

just called dell technical support. 24/7 hotline, call them for whole line of dead pixels problem.

they conduct an SOP check with me, ask me to hold d letter and power on(some diagnostic checks from the bootloader), the screen display full screens of diff colours for me to see if its infact dead pixels. confirm liao, they then submit my case.
say tmr technician will check if spares available, if available, arrange on-site servicing for me the following day.

compared to aftershock, that is service i've barely gotten only after i got the attention of their boss.

my sm-15 first week got bios problem, think they forgot to flash their bios(my bootup screen is some chinese brand, not the AS one). call them, was told need to go their their servicing center. went down, fixed in awhile, still ok.

for almost full year, i didnt know audio jack/mb got problem, had to live with bass-less/v soft sound. 10mths into the order, i keep getting static noise for my audiojack, and audiojack keep disconnecting by itself when on earphones and play thru loudspeakers randomly for short intevals.
Call AS, the tech just pretend to listen and ask me to go down to their servicing center. I went down, told them the EXACT SAME THING i said over the phone, they didnt even ask me to demo the problem and ask me go back first, cause they need to order the parts.
their order took a month or more to come(iirc), i cant use my earphones with my laptop in libraries/etc incase it just blasts in public.
while waiting for order to arrive, another problem popped up, the screen has a line of dead pixels.
Emailed the guy handling my audiojack problem, forwarded to another tech, this his reply.
removed names.

AS email:
Thank you for contacting Aftershock PC.
We still have stock for the audio jack.

As for the screen, we will need to check the physical unit before we can determine what’s the issue.
Do drop by and let us check for you.

they tell me to go down AGAIN. a simple case as a whole line of dead pixels, cannot clarify over the phone. must go down for them to see. I even attach pictures i taken to the email.
its only until i reply with a strongly worded email, asking if they have stock of the screen, and not waste my time going down, did the tech went to check for stock, and say they will order and will arrive in 2-3weeks time.
I have to personally send another email to ask if the screen has arrive 2 weeks later then they reply that same day say stock just arrive.
this time they come my house collect laptop and bring back, and then send it back with audiojack n screen replaced.

aft chia diagnose the problem for me n my issue got the attention of marcus, then things get done. still, quite shabby.
i still have to follow up twice cause audio problem occur again, need change mb, first time when laptop return to me, cd tray not inserted properly.
2nd time, THEY FORGOT TO SCREW BACK ALMOST ALL THE SCREWS ON THE UNDERSIDE. marcus explains its some procedural stuff which they accidentally skipped but still, that alone shows alot about the quality of the staff. this is minor cause its simply the exterior which clips itself back. but still rly makes me wonder how many of the screws inside my unit are whr they are supposed to be. if that technician was responsible for installing water heater/lights/ceilingfans, etc, imagine the dangers.
still, this time is closely monitored by marcus, the technicians seem to care more. helping me do fresh os with all the setup, change the scratched off keycaps, clean dust, etc.

compared to dell(lets hope they deliver), 24/7 technical support hotline, with their on-site repair.
technician will check and bring all the possible replacement parts and inform me the following day(if call aft office hrs) to arrange on-site if available, else wait 1-2weeks for parts to come in then arrange on-site.

think dell has improved/went back to their original standards since ur time.

not say AS after sale service not good, but as i mentioned previously, employees will be employees. their life/livelihood dont entirely depend on the company. company profit, they at most get some extra bonus/payrise. lose the job, can join find another.
your exp with dell mustve been similar to my exp with AS, both during their transition where their orders n sales raise exponentially, too fast for them to adapt. hence drop standards.
once orders n sales increase, boss wont be around to supervise everyone. gotta take awhile for standards to be maintained(hopefully not after loss of sales).
seeing the positive feedback here, glad to see AS standards are back to how they used to be when my frens recommend AS to me(hopefully).

edit: okay, wtf. my screen froze out of nowhere and wouldnt respond to anything again. only way is to force off. last happened last week.. im on the same os version as mentioned earlier in this thread too..

Last edited:

chiaRH

Reaction score
noticed the S17 is gone from aftershock's site

guess the P6xx end-of-life is really coming as several have guessed

TheOutsider

Reaction score

At first I noticed that. Then I played with the fan settings in Control Center setting the cut in cut out temperature. So far it's alright to me already. Just raise the temperature little higher. I can't remember what's the setting I have now though. I think I increased the temperature around 5C higher than default.

Melpzg

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone have personal review for Prime 15?

Only found some review on clevo counterpart.

chiaRH

Reaction score
Anyone have personal review for Prime 15?

Only found some review on clevo counterpart.

general opinions on that are:

avoid getting the 1060 version if you dislike fan noise, until a solid confirmation from clevo that they finally fixed the fan curves, it's basically like a Gigabyte Aero 15 with inferior fan curves + inferior battery life

the prime like all slim notebooks will trade cooling for slimness so bear in mind it will lose to a S15 in thermals even if you put a more powerful GPU in the S15, I personally would consider the slim profile the only strength of the Prime because virtually all other performance traits had to sacrifice a bit for the sake of the slim profile

hottiedoggie

Reaction score
Anyone experienced display issue with their laptops? currently experience greenish tint with purple lines and sometimes image burnin. once in a while the screen will revert back to normal:(

razorlala

Banned
Reaction score
I agree AS service could be better. The early win10 had issues with the Intel graphics. Emailed AS, but they don't know a thing, in the end i found the solution myself. Then i ask about doing bios update myself. AS told me go service center and stopped replying. wtf. if i can update myself why don't just provide the iso ec/bios file

The boss is nice guy though so far.. that's about it.

AS better start coming up with some SOP lines/etc for their technical support number.
and record all calls.

calls or emails, their standard reply is "come down to the servicing center so we can confirm the problem"

2 fcking lines of dead pixels next to ea other, from top to btm of the screen, customers cannot tell 1. need them to personally see it to confirm the problem.
whats worse is when question further, then realise their inventory dont have the replacement part.

technicians really lazy as fk.

anw, update on dell's servicing for replacing lcd screen,

The technician call on the same day to confirm he can come down to my house. he might be late, but gave me a call to let me know, still came within the originally agreed timeframe tho.

servicing/replacing the lcd screen:
did a diagnostic test to confirm its hardware problem first.
once confirm, take out lcd screen, put screws in orderly fashion such that the same screw goes back to the same hole, even tho all the screws are the same size.
replace lcd screen, attach the connector. turn on diagnostic again to make sure screen working normally, then screw the internal screws. then check at least twice that all screws are in place, then put back the frame n the screens, likewise, check at least twice to make sure all screws are back in place and tight.

once screw back the frame, run diagnostic test again, and then proceed to bootup the pc, test camera, mic, etc.

aft all confirmed ok, he went the extra mile to check the bottom of the laptop to make sure all screws are in place and tight, even tho his servicing is the lcd panel only.

his checks might be a little excessive, and most probably more than the sop set by dell, it at least prevents little 'accidents' where screws can be completely forgotten.

oh, not to forget he uses a automatic screwdriver(basically a handheld auto screwdriver with torque settings) so it wont be too tight when tightening.

Hey, I've just contacted dell for some technical issues. its nowhere near what u mentioned leh.

just called dell technical support. 24/7 hotline, call them for whole line of dead pixels problem.

they conduct an SOP check with me, ask me to hold d letter and power on(some diagnostic checks from the bootloader), the screen display full screens of diff colours for me to see if its infact dead pixels. confirm liao, they then submit my case.
say tmr technician will check if spares available, if available, arrange on-site servicing for me the following day.

compared to aftershock, that is service i've barely gotten only after i got the attention of their boss.

my sm-15 first week got bios problem, think they forgot to flash their bios(my bootup screen is some chinese brand, not the AS one). call them, was told need to go their their servicing center. went down, fixed in awhile, still ok.

for almost full year, i didnt know audio jack/mb got problem, had to live with bass-less/v soft sound. 10mths into the order, i keep getting static noise for my audiojack, and audiojack keep disconnecting by itself when on earphones and play thru loudspeakers randomly for short intevals.
Call AS, the tech just pretend to listen and ask me to go down to their servicing center. I went down, told them the EXACT SAME THING i said over the phone, they didnt even ask me to demo the problem and ask me go back first, cause they need to order the parts.
their order took a month or more to come(iirc), i cant use my earphones with my laptop in libraries/etc incase it just blasts in public.
while waiting for order to arrive, another problem popped up, the screen has a line of dead pixels.
Emailed the guy handling my audiojack problem, forwarded to another tech, this his reply.
removed names.

AS email:
Thank you for contacting Aftershock PC.
We still have stock for the audio jack.

As for the screen, we will need to check the physical unit before we can determine what’s the issue.
Do drop by and let us check for you.

they tell me to go down AGAIN. a simple case as a whole line of dead pixels, cannot clarify over the phone. must go down for them to see. I even attach pictures i taken to the email.
its only until i reply with a strongly worded email, asking if they have stock of the screen, and not waste my time going down, did the tech went to check for stock, and say they will order and will arrive in 2-3weeks time.
I have to personally send another email to ask if the screen has arrive 2 weeks later then they reply that same day say stock just arrive.
this time they come my house collect laptop and bring back, and then send it back with audiojack n screen replaced.

aft chia diagnose the problem for me n my issue got the attention of marcus, then things get done. still, quite shabby.
i still have to follow up twice cause audio problem occur again, need change mb, first time when laptop return to me, cd tray not inserted properly.
2nd time, THEY FORGOT TO SCREW BACK ALMOST ALL THE SCREWS ON THE UNDERSIDE. marcus explains its some procedural stuff which they accidentally skipped but still, that alone shows alot about the quality of the staff. this is minor cause its simply the exterior which clips itself back. but still rly makes me wonder how many of the screws inside my unit are whr they are supposed to be. if that technician was responsible for installing water heater/lights/ceilingfans, etc, imagine the dangers.
still, this time is closely monitored by marcus, the technicians seem to care more. helping me do fresh os with all the setup, change the scratched off keycaps, clean dust, etc.

compared to dell(lets hope they deliver), 24/7 technical support hotline, with their on-site repair.
technician will check and bring all the possible replacement parts and inform me the following day(if call aft office hrs) to arrange on-site if available, else wait 1-2weeks for parts to come in then arrange on-site.

think dell has improved/went back to their original standards since ur time.

not say AS after sale service not good, but as i mentioned previously, employees will be employees. their life/livelihood dont entirely depend on the company. company profit, they at most get some extra bonus/payrise. lose the job, can join find another.
your exp with dell mustve been similar to my exp with AS, both during their transition where their orders n sales raise exponentially, too fast for them to adapt. hence drop standards.
once orders n sales increase, boss wont be around to supervise everyone. gotta take awhile for standards to be maintained(hopefully not after loss of sales).
seeing the positive feedback here, glad to see AS standards are back to how they used to be when my frens recommend AS to me(hopefully).

edit: okay, wtf. my screen froze out of nowhere and wouldnt respond to anything again. only way is to force off. last happened last week.. im on the same os version as mentioned earlier in this thread too..

xheavenic

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Glad to see that AS is reading our feedbacks. Just received a pm from AS's Marcus that they are looking into the fan profile issue for prime 15. Hope to get it resolved soon.

chiaRH

Reaction score
Glad to see that AS is reading our feedbacks. Just received a pm from AS's Marcus that they are looking into the fan profile issue for prime 15. Hope to get it resolved soon.

it depends on how fast clevo can fix it in their bios i guess, until then may have to try luck with custom fan profile in control centre, maybe raise the threshold before fans spin up. the whole world of P950HP owners are probably waiting for clevo's fan fix too

thing about the whole P950, its such a new machine that i have to wonder how many issues it has, even right now with the 2nd gen P950, which is the one with the 1070 maxQ some people saying it's default fan profile actually doesnt meet the maxQ 40db standard until you manual override the fan speeds

my suspicion is that the chassis/cooling design was pretty much the same as 1st gen version (with 1060) and when maxQ came out, it was too late in the clevo timeline to make drastic engineering changes so they just stuck the new GPU in. I had this hypothesis cos I saw photos of the 1st and 2nd gen P950 and it looks like the exact same fans + heatpipes layout so if the cooling system were struggling to handle a 1060, imagine now handling a 1070maxQ... you might actually need to force-throttle by permanently enabling whispermode

Last edited:

chiaRH

Reaction score
my suspicion is that the chassis/cooling design was pretty much the same as 1st gen version (with 1060) and when maxQ came out, it was too late in the clevo timeline to make drastic engineering changes so they just stuck the new GPU in. I had this hypothesis cos I saw photos of the 1st and 2nd gen P950 and it looks like the exact same fans + heatpipes layout so if the cooling system were struggling to handle a 1060, imagine now handling a 1070maxQ... you might actually need to force-throttle by permanently enabling whispermode

Marcus mentioned the TDPs on the 1060 and 1070maxQ are quite similar and I found that gentechpc actually did have a video on the new P950 where they observed GPU benchmark temps around 70+ celsius for the 1070maxQ.

They dont have the 1060 version to compare but basing relative to my S17 which also hits mid 70s on its 1070, a slim laptop also hitting temps around 70s for a 1070maxQ seems reasonable to me.

The good news is at least the TDP of the new GPU can still be handled.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.