Linksys Velop - WiFi that sets you free

tribalhere

Reaction score
Hi all,am new to velop. Thought of signing up M1 for the velop promo. First would like to ask is it with to get the velop from M1 promo. And currently I’m using a Linksys router. If I get the velop, does it mean I must connect one of the velop to the router or Juz connect it to the modem? And my study room desktop there’s no wifi card. So now I’m using homeplug to connect to my desktop via cable. Can I use velop to connect it to my desktop? I do a lot of torrents. Wonder will velop able to support the speed? And been reading through this thread and discover a lot of user mentioned blackhaul. Till now I still not sure what it mean or does. Can someone advise on this. Thanks a lot.

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,am new to velop. Thought of signing up M1 for the velop promo. First would like to ask is it with to get the velop from M1 promo. And currently I’m using a Linksys router. If I get the velop, does it mean I must connect one of the velop to the router or Juz connect it to the modem? And my study room desktop there’s no wifi card. So now I’m using homeplug to connect to my desktop via cable. Can I use velop to connect it to my desktop? I do a lot of torrents. Wonder will velop able to support the speed? And been reading through this thread and discover a lot of user mentioned blackhaul. Till now I still not sure what it mean or does. Can someone advise on this. Thanks a lot.

Woa thats a long list of questions.

First would like to ask is it with to get the velop from M1 promo.
A tri pack velop cost around $599. M1 is 59.90, a $20 premium over the vanilla $39 plan and comes with a free garmin vivofit. So over the period of the contract, your velop cost $480. There you have it .

If I get the velop, does it mean I must connect one of the velop to the router or Juz connect it to the modem?
You can choose to connect to router, or you can let the velop act as the router behind m1 ont.

And my study room desktop there’s no wifi card. So now I’m using homeplug to connect to my desktop via cable. Can I use velop to connect it to my desktop?

Yes, you can place one of the nodes near your pc and connect via lan cable to it.

I do a lot of torrents. Wonder will velop able to support the speed?

Sure, iam getting around 10-20+MB/s on multiple downloads and no congestion experienced.

And been reading through this thread and discover a lot of user mentioned blackhaul.

The backhaul you are hearing is how the user can connect the velop nodes together.

From ont/router to first node it has to be wired, the remaining 2 nodes you can connect via wirelessly or wired to the main node. :)

tribalhere

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise. Was still thinking should I get it. Tempted. But my router is still working fine.

Woa thats a long list of questions.

First would like to ask is it with to get the velop from M1 promo.
A tri pack velop cost around $599. M1 is 59.90, a $20 premium over the vanilla $39 plan and comes with a free garmin vivofit. So over the period of the contract, your velop cost $480. There you have it .

If I get the velop, does it mean I must connect one of the velop to the router or Juz connect it to the modem?
You can choose to connect to router, or you can let the velop act as the router behind m1 ont.

And my study room desktop there’s no wifi card. So now I’m using homeplug to connect to my desktop via cable. Can I use velop to connect it to my desktop?

Yes, you can place one of the nodes near your pc and connect via lan cable to it.

I do a lot of torrents. Wonder will velop able to support the speed?

Sure, iam getting around 10-20+MB/s on multiple downloads and no congestion experienced.

And been reading through this thread and discover a lot of user mentioned blackhaul.

The backhaul you are hearing is how the user can connect the velop nodes together.

From ont/router to first node it has to be wired, the remaining 2 nodes you can connect via wirelessly or wired to the main node. :)

somewhat

Reaction score
Just get the Velop 3 pack after renewing my contract with M1.

Previously, I have Asus ac68u in my house. The speed was decent, with 30-50mbps using my iPhone 6s. However, there were few dead zones, and especially near master bedroom.

For the upgrade, I was considering asus Ac88u, Lyra and Velop. My option was limited to routers offered by M1. After reading the 5G problem on this forum and other websites, ac88u was firstly ruled out.

For Asus Lyra, it seems to me that they have lower transmit power at 5G. Unfavorable reviews can be seen on amazon and snbforum. 5G transmit power is important for me because backhaul signal from my main router has to penetrate three concrete walls before reaching my master bedroom.

After using Velop with latest firmware, wifi speed from my iPhone 6s increased to 200-300mbps. I have a M1 1Gbps plan. Velop seems to be able to connect my iPhone to the nearest router at 5G when I walked around in my house.

Occasionally, the speed dropped to 50 Mbps if I moved around the house. However, speed was reverted back to >200mbps after few minutes.

Overally, I am happy with Velop, great improvement compared to previous ac68u

Last edited:

sqgator

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just get the Velop 3 pack after renewing my contract with M1.

Previously, I have Asus ac68u in my house. The speed was decent, with 30-50mbps using my iPhone 6s. However, there were few dead zones, and especially near master bedroom.

For the upgrade, I was considering asus Ac88u, Lyra and Velop. My option was limited to routers offered by M1. After reading the 5G problem on this forum and other websites, ac88u was firstly ruled out.

For Asus Lyra, it seems to me that they have lower transmit power at 5G. Unfavorable reviews can be seen on amazon and snbforum. 5G transmit power is important for me because backhaul signal from my main router has to penetrate three concrete walls before reaching my master bedroom.

After using Velop with latest firmware, wifi speed from my iPhone 6s increased to 200-300mbps. I have a M1 1Gbps plan. Velop seems to be able to connect my iPhone to the nearest router at 5G when I walked around in my house.

Occasionally, the speed dropped to 50 Mbps if I moved around the house. However, speed was reverted back to >200mbps after few minutes.

Overally, I am happy with Velop, great improvement compared to previously ac68u

Thanks for this, I am also using ASUS AC68 + ASUS AC56 and is rock solid so I have been sitting on the fence on weather to upgrade. This is enticing.

mrpolo

Reaction score
Hi guys. Can i confirm that 2 mesh will be enough for a 4-room bto? I will place 1 mesh at the living room and another at common bedroom.

patgoh28

Reaction score
Hi! I need help from the expert here. I just bought and install the Linksys Velop and now my house IP cameras are not working. They can't be located. I never change the wifi name and password but still can't connect to my IP cameras. Can somebody help or teach me how to connect it? Thanks.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Did u set the velop to bridged mode?

Hi! I need help from the expert here. I just bought and install the Linksys Velop and now my house IP cameras are not working. They can't be located. I never change the wifi name and password but still can't connect to my IP cameras. Can somebody help or teach me how to connect it? Thanks.

kenchi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Interesting read up bro ren

So I might consider this Linksys mesh too

As my rooms already cat 6 enabled

So could I say this
Living room
ONt to first main mesh via Ethernet
Then the port 2 on main mesh in living room I connect to my 2nd mesh in room to the wan port of it and it will works ?

And last mesh I put near the kitchen as the common loo always a blind spot but last mesh I Link via wifi to the main mesh to have internet ? So I must lay a cable over ?

Last edited:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which isp are you using?

The last paragraph depends on the wifi coverage at that point. The linksys app will tell you if it's suitable or not.

Interesting read up bro ren

So I might consider this Linksys mesh too

As my rooms already cat 6 enabled

So could I say this
Living room
ONt to first main mesh via Ethernet
Then the port 2 on main mesh in living room I connect to my 2nd mesh in room to the wan port of it and it will works ?

And last mesh I put near the kitchen as the common loo always a blind spot but last mesh I Link via wifi to the main mesh to have internet ? So I must lay a cable over ?

GoldGuy

Reaction score
Noob Qns

Hi guys,

Sorry if I asked some repeated Qns, please answer if you feel like it. All help is greatly appreciated.

Im stuck with Singtel plan due to recent upgrade, so now im facing issue with getting good connection at second and third floor of my home. Im currently using a Repeater but its unreliable, weak signal and old.

https://www.singtel.com/personal/i/internet/addons/wifi-mesh/detail

Im thinking of getting the above but

1) It cost additional 30 dollar per month ? So for 2 years its around 720 dollars, does that mean the units will be given to us (consumer) after 2 years even if we cancel their plan?

2) Anyone has experience for landed houses? Im thinking of putting one in living room (where my optic fibre is), 2nd unit at the first floor staircase and last unit at second floor.... hopefully it can reach 3rd floor bedrooms.

3) The first Linksys unit must replace my Singtel router or it can be extension from the router?

Thanks

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Sorry if I asked some repeated Qns, please answer if you feel like it. All help is greatly appreciated.

Im stuck with Singtel plan due to recent upgrade, so now im facing issue with getting good connection at second and third floor of my home. Im currently using a Repeater but its unreliable, weak signal and old.

https://www.singtel.com/personal/i/internet/addons/wifi-mesh/detail

Im thinking of getting the above but

1) It cost additional 30 dollar per month ? So for 2 years its around 720 dollars, does that mean the units will be given to us (consumer) after 2 years even if we cancel their plan?

2) Anyone has experience for landed houses? Im thinking of putting one in living room (where my optic fibre is), 2nd unit at the first floor staircase and last unit at second floor.... hopefully it can reach 3rd floor bedrooms.

3) The first Linksys unit must replace my Singtel router or it can be extension from the router?

Thanks

1) its yours to keep, you paid for it leh.. :D

2) technically its pointless to put a node at the staircase, try to put it on the second level if possible, keep them near at least on every level to make sure wireless backhaul is optimum. If not, ethernet backhaul works the best.

3) velop cannot replace SingTel router. Otherwise, velop works by connecting it to the SingTel router..

bbturbo

Reaction score
Hello Velop users,

I have been reading this helpful thread from the beginning as I am considering getting the Velop (2-pack) for my 2 story apartment.

For starters, it seems that most if not all of you have placed the parent/first node next to or near the router. My router is currently placed in a bedroom downstairs and I would like to know if I can place the parent/first node in the living room about 6-8m away from the router via cable. The reason being that the wifi coverage is very poor in the living room and by having the Velop parent/first node located more centrally, it will improve things. Logically there shouldn't be any degradation of signal (as connection is via wired) but would like to confirm with the more knowledgeable guys here.

The 2nd node will be placed on the 2nd floor connected by wire to handle the wifi coverage upstairs.

Thanks in advance.

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello Velop users,

I have been reading this helpful thread from the beginning as I am considering getting the Velop (2-pack) for my 2 story apartment.

For starters, it seems that most if not all of you have placed the parent/first node next to or near the router. My router is currently placed in a bedroom downstairs and I would like to know if I can place the parent/first node in the living room about 6-8m away from the router via cable. The reason being that the wifi coverage is very poor in the living room and by having the Velop parent/first node located more centrally, it will improve things. Logically there shouldn't be any degradation of signal (as connection is via wired) but would like to confirm with the more knowledgeable guys here.

The 2nd node will be placed on the 2nd floor connected by wire to handle the wifi coverage upstairs.

Thanks in advance.

U have lan trunked in the first floor and from the first to second floor?

Your suggestion will work well.

somewhat

Reaction score
Yes, you can move your Velop nose to living room by using a 8m cable. BTW, You don't an extra router, velop is a router. Just connect Velop parent node to your ONT modem via an Ethernet cable. Since Velop is capable to handle ~1Gbps signal, make sure that you have a good enough cable (e.g Cat 6).

Hello Velop users,

Thanks in advance.

5star_pundit

Banned
Reaction score
Linksys velop supports MU-MIMO which can penetrate thru thick wall and it supersede 2.4 and 5GHz ac signal in other words there is no need to select either of the ac signal to login to the router. Thus velop is ezy to use even for novice users

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.