LED TV life

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If u sell the tv, is the warranty transferable to new owner?
I have claimed warranty 2 times.
LG repair man need to see receipt after they finish the work. LG outsourced the service. If no receipt no warranty.

kmchow98

Reaction score
LG repair man need to see receipt after they finish the work. LG outsourced the service. If no receipt no warranty.

Hi Henry,

You claimed twice. Means they failed within 3-5 years.
What's your take on LG's reliability?

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Henry,

You claimed twice. Means they failed within 3-5 years.
What's your take on LG's reliability?

I have a few Tv at home. 2 LG Tv and some other brand Tv too. One Tv dead pixel when i got it and one Tv dead pixel after 1 yr. I like LG because it has magic remote. Nowadays all Tv are not build to last. Just get a new Tv every 3/5 yrs.

kmchow98

Reaction score
I have a few Tv at home. 2 LG Tv and some other brand Tv too. One Tv dead pixel when i got it and one Tv dead pixel after 1 yr. I like LG because it has magic remote. Nowadays all Tv are not build to last. Just get a new Tv every 3/5 yrs.

Hi Henry,

You never mentioned which 2 TVs had defects, so I can't tell if LG is reliable or not.
When you look at reliability, we usually see the "bathtub" curve. Google it.
Basically, it means that most products either fail early during usage or late life. Early failure means around 1 year, late life would probably be somewhere after 3 years, but I think it can be 5 years or more.

Most would not complain when a product fails after maybe 5 years and would consider the brand reliable.
But when a product fails in a year, it either means you have bad luck or the particular brand have sloppy reliability test processes or engineering.
(our MRT system is a classic example of poor engineering)

IMO, a TV shouldn't fail within 5 years, unless it's a really budget model.
TV panels have easily 30000-60000hrs of life, that translates to 10-20 years of use at 8 hrs a day.
The electronics will more likely fail first, but should have a useful life of 5 years at least. They fail largely due to poor design, heat, lousy manufacturing quality. Again, if you buy a budget model, you get lousy engineering.

If a TV fails within 3-5 years, I would avoid the brand. Unless, it was a budget model, or a display set.
BTW, always avoid display sets, they run for more than 12 hours a day, for months and have experienced excessive heat in their useful operating life.

Last edited:

JadziaK

Reaction score
LG outsource their repairs? Any idea which company they used? When my Panasonic tv spoilt recently, it was actually repaired by Panasonic. Was considering getting either LG or Panaonic OLED in future so servicing is an important factor to consider.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
LG outsource their repairs? Any idea which company they used? When my Panasonic tv spoilt recently, it was actually repaired by Panasonic. Was considering getting either LG or Panaonic OLED in future so servicing is an important factor to consider.

They ask me to sign one form and said that they will claim payment from LG. No receipt issued at all so i am not sure which company they are. They are very fast. It take 5 min to change and test. My Tv is just a normal LED Tv. I think OLED should be much better.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.