4k UHD players discussion thread

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In March. Maybe probably too early. Just recently about 2 months ago. I went to sony Asia website and could see the product x800 is listed there as "available soon". If singapore could get a Z9D 100 inch TV. I don't understand why a x800 ultra bluray player being dropped by Sony sg.

Same thoughts here, Sony have been pushing their 4K TV
so why don't bring in X800 to complete the experience?
That I also argue with them when they reply back to me
that they won't bring it in.

I also told them most 4K TV are bundle with PS4 pro
which isn't a 4K UHD player just a standard Blu ray player
but with 4K output capability.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just an update, thanks to winningeleven .
I have send a email to Sony SEA Division for the UBP-X800.
Their reply is somewhat different from what I get,
they mentioned the product have not launched yet in SG.

I will double confirm with them whether is it true or not.
And a suggestion to either have a product interest register or
let them know how many customers want to buy this player.

Import from US, the downside is no warranty and you need
a stepdown transformer.
If somehow they know that there is a demand, hopefully
they will bring in eventually.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just an update, thanks to winningeleven .
I have send a email to Sony SEA Division for the UBP-X800.
Their reply is somewhat different from what I get,
they mentioned the product have not launched yet in SG.

I will double confirm with them whether is it true or not.
And a suggestion to either have a product interest register or
let them know how many customers want to buy this player.

Import from US, the downside is no warranty and you need
a stepdown transformer.
If somehow they know that there is a demand, hopefully
they will bring in eventually.

I wrote to them last month and they say it won't be in SG. I doubt they will bring over. An example is the UHP-H1. It has been launch for almost 1.5 years in US but not available in SG

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I wrote to them last month and they say it won't be in SG. I doubt they will bring over. An example is the UHP-H1. It has been launch for almost 1.5 years in US but not available in SG

Hmmm... very weird indeed. Let see this time how will they reply.

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
IF the rest of the asian countries such hong kong , taiwan have already getting the sony x800 und player. Then it is still possible SG wont have the chances to get it.

I have checked Sony japan. Yes. retail at 44800 yen

Sony HK - No
Sont taiwan - No

Last edited:

petetherock

Reaction score
There's always a chance, but we won't be high up their priority.
They know our buying patterns:
Despite 4k TVs being out there, many in SG still buy DVDs, download illegal videos and their main source of 4k videos is from youtube.

Just like BR players, it took a couple of years or more before they penetrated the market.

Apple and other companies making 4k streaming content may help push 4k along, but let's see if we all buy proper content.
If we all do, then the chance of 4k players coming in fast and furious will happen.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There's always a chance, but we won't be high up their priority.
They know our buying patterns:
Despite 4k TVs being out there, many in SG still buy DVDs, download illegal videos and their main source of 4k videos is from youtube.

Just like BR players, it took a couple of years or more before they penetrated the market.

Apple and other companies making 4k streaming content may help push 4k along, but let's see if we all buy proper content.
If we all do, then the chance of 4k players coming in fast and furious will happen.

That is why some manufacturer won't entertain request from one person or a group.
They see the market trend before deciding
Whether to sell here or not.
Sad I say, some buy really high end 4K TV.

They either use Android boxes, download movies or DVD. Yes DVD is half the price of Blu ray but at the expense of picture and sound.

Once I was working in Education sector,
When I setup a movie screening using blu Ray disc.

Some thought I borrow the equipment from cinema since the picture and sound was cinema like.
Than I just show them that is power of Blu ray than came Q & A like what is Blu ray disc.

Marketing and push for blu ray disc is none here. Many just see it as a expensive media at $39.90 than opt for $19.90 DVD disc which is cheaper.

Apple just released the Apple 4K HDR TV.
Don't know is it appropriate to bring that into this thread.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That is why some manufacturer won't entertain request from one person or a group.
They see the market trend before deciding
Whether to sell here or not.
Sad I say, some buy really high end 4K TV.

They either use Android boxes, download movies or DVD. Yes DVD is half the price of Blu ray but at the expense of picture and sound.

Once I was working in Education sector,
When I setup a movie screening using blu Ray disc.

Some thought I borrow the equipment from cinema since the picture and sound was cinema like.
Than I just show them that is power of Blu ray than came Q & A like what is Blu ray disc.

Marketing and push for blu ray disc is none here. Many just see it as a expensive media at $39.90 than opt for $19.90 DVD disc which is cheaper.

Apple just released the Apple 4K HDR TV.
Don't know is it appropriate to bring that into this thread.

Streaming is ok but apparently cannot fight with bluray and uhd disc in terms of clarity and sound

marcus70

Reaction score
Bought my x800 and a uhd disc from Amazon, abt 270usd, should rec'd end of this mth

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bought my x800 and a uhd disc from Amazon, abt 270usd, should rec'd end of this mth

You will love this player. Sony US give us 2 free bluray but don't know how to claim. Need to register warranty. US$270 for 2 items is amazing

Milo-Dino

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i bought xbox S one from last IT show... $380 with game n 1tb hdd.

Anyone can recommend any good UHD bluray? Currently got Planet Earth 2

marcus70

Reaction score
You will love this player. Sony US give us 2 free bluray but don't know how to claim. Need to register warranty. US$270 for 2 items is amazing

Thks, rec'd a sms from DHL, might rec'd my player on the 21st😁😁 or latest 25th,but my disc still haven't shipped as only release on the 19th sept

jayaian

Reaction score
was initially thinking of getting xbox one s for UHD bluray playback but saw it doesn't support dolby atmos / dts:x, which was a breaker for me. Now considering if I should wait for xbox one x instead as it supports native 4k and pass through for atmos and dts:x, but would cost $699. any other players locally worth consideration?

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
was initially thinking of getting xbox one s for UHD bluray playback but saw it doesn't support dolby atmos / dts:x, which was a breaker for me. Now considering if I should wait for xbox one x instead as it supports native 4k and pass through for atmos and dts:x, but would cost $699. any other players locally worth consideration?

LG or Samsung at $499.

marcus70

Reaction score

Aiyo, didn't know this is coming, any idea when they are launching. You can wait for $100 voucher from q10 to offset the price. If u r gaming then one x should be a good choice or you can try the Samsung 8500,thought I saw somewhere that buying the Samsung one for 200 Robinson voucher

jayaian

Reaction score
Aiyo, didn't know this is coming, any idea when they are launching. You can wait for $100 voucher from q10 to offset the price. If u r gaming then one x should be a good choice or you can try the Samsung 8500,thought I saw somewhere that buying the Samsung one for 200 Robinson voucher

xbox one x (i tried to type the short form and it turns out to be XBOX -_- LOL quite hilarious) will be launched in November this year. How to get $100 voucher from q10? I seldom shop on q10.. but $100 discount is pretty good! Yeah i do game, primarily on my ps4, getting XBOX to serve as a gaming and UHD player does make sense but price is steep and not sure yet how will it perform compared to other dedicated UHD player.

jayaian

Reaction score
You should check again.. iirc the Xbox now supports it. Google for it, cheers

Oh yes now that u mentioned and i googled, does support atmos and dts:x now! So according to earlier reviews the PQ is comparable to most other dedicated UHD player doesnt it? Might make sense to dive into xbox one s now then... but then again xbox one x is coming up in 2 months time... >.< dilemma... lol

jayaian

Reaction score
LG or Samsung at $499.

no deal now since xbox one s supports atmos and dts:x and cost more than $100 cheaper than the above... don't see a major plus for LG or Samsung over XBoneS.. unless i have missed out anything on the samsung / LG?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.