Buying/Building PC help!! Complete noob D:

Below27

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been looking to upgrade my gaming set up for quite a long time now, since January. I've been travelling quite frequently and thus had previously relied on a gaming laptop, but now that I've more or less returned permanently to Singapore, I'm looking to get a more permanent set up.

The space in my room where I want to set up the desktop is relatively small/cramped (20cm x 30cm, may be longer than 30cm, if it is thinner than 15cm, height is not really a concern), as such I am very restricted with the size of the PC and have been looking towards more compact solutions. I realise that the space constraint will also affect the cooling solutions available.

I am looking towards an i7-700(k?), GTX1080 (ti?), 16/32gb ram, 256/512 SSD (M.2?), 2TB HDD set up. (preferably with liquid cooling because of the confined space that it will be placed in)

I found the Corsair One Pro to be most suitable, but since February until now, I have been unable to find any availability/stock for decent prices.
(sorry unable to post links as I have insufficient posts, but should be relatively easy to find)

I also saw the Dreamcore One at the recent IT show I went to.

(sorry unable to post links as insufficient posts, but should be relatively easy to find)

I may also consider the Acer Predator G1.

(sorry unable to post links as insufficient posts, but should be relatively easy to find)

At the moment, I am very unsure whether or not I should go for the i7 7700, or i7 7700k, whether GTX1070 is sufficient, or should if I go for GTX1080 or even GTX1080ti, whether SSD Sata is fast enough or if I should go for an M.2.

I will most likely have a dual monitor set up, and use the pc for some heavy gaming, but at the same time I need to run several programs (primarily used for trading/video editing), my budget is around 2.5-3.5k, and these three product options definitely fit my requirements, the corsair with higher specs available together with liquid cooling, however at much higher costs, and the need to pay for shipping/import taxes, while the dreamcore is available with a much smaller form factor, but at the cost of lower specs and traditional cooling(heard that the fan can be quite noisy/whiny). The Acer predator seems viable as well, but I have not heard great reviews, and it seems a bit pricey for what you're getting.

What do you guys think? Or do you think I should be able to build one myself, and if so what parts(especially which tower)/shops would you recommend?

Last edited:

joshuaho

Reaction score
1. Build it urself will be cheaper/ provides u with better parts as compared to prebuilt. However u would need to diagnose things urself, or bring it down to SLS to have someone look into it for you (please don't go to India shops for repair purpose unless u Want to be chopped for everything and change parts which u don't need to)

2. Dual monitor set up, whats the resolution and refresh rate? Both same monitor? Or one main one for gaming and the other is just a side monitor to browse or twitch during gameplay?

3. What are the game titles that u are/ intend to play?

Below27

Reaction score
1. Build it urself will be cheaper/ provides u with better parts as compared to prebuilt. However u would need to diagnose things urself, or bring it down to SLS to have someone look into it for you (please don't go to India shops for repair purpose unless u Want to be chopped for everything and change parts which u don't need to)

2. Dual monitor set up, whats the resolution and refresh rate? Both same monitor? Or one main one for gaming and the other is just a side monitor to browse or twitch during gameplay?

3. What are the game titles that u are/ intend to play?

1)Thanks for your reply, I actually have never built a PC before, and thus am very new to everything and worried I might screw it up.

2) I will intend to use one main one for gaming, and a side monitor to browse and monitor other applications, I have yet to decide on a monitor so I am unsure of the resolution/refresh rate.

3) At the moment I only play games like Dota 2, CSGO, Starcraft 2, Overwatch, PUBG, Path of Exile, but I am looking into playing other game titles like Witcher, Farcry, and Fallout

singupingu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bad time to build a pc. Seriously.

If you're willing to learn to DIY, then look up for Fractal Design Node 202 build on YouTube. Spec wise, if can wait, wait for Intel 8th Gen Coffee Lake processors. If cannot wait, look up for AMD Ryzen.

If you don't think you have the leisure/time/interest to DIY and you just want a gaming setup and not too bothered about specs, look up for Aftershock Impulse V1 or Dreamcore.

Sent from PM me if you wanna build a DIY PC or wanna learn how to make one yourself :D using GAGT

Below27

Reaction score
Bad time to build a pc. Seriously.

If you're willing to learn to DIY, then look up for Fractal Design Node 202 build on YouTube. Spec wise, if can wait, wait for Intel 8th Gen Coffee Lake processors. If cannot wait, look up for AMD Ryzen.

If you don't think you have the leisure/time/interest to DIY and you just want a gaming setup and not too bothered about specs, look up for Aftershock Impulse V1 or Dreamcore.

Hey thanks for the reply.

I dont mind learning DIY, but I feel that cooling may be an issue for the smaller case designs (like with the aftershock or dreamcore) and from checking the Fractal Design node, it seems like it will encounter similar issues, is it possible to have liquid cooling with it?

singupingu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You got the wrong idea about liquid cooling. Just because it's liquid cooling, doesn't mean it's definitely better than air cooled. It's just that liquid cooling takes longer to achieve thermal equilibrium where as air cooled is faster so it hit temp limit earlier. Run an AIO under stress for an hour or two, you will hit the thermal limit with the same max temp as an equivalent air cooler.

Same thing, a good air cooler like Cryorig R1, would outperform most 120mm aio and even some of the 240mm aio.

Also another thing to consider using liquid cooling, is that the pump will weaken or fail over time, so you have to care for both pump and fans for the radiator. Creating one more potential failure point for your rig.

Thermal wise depends on your CPU and how high you are going to overclock it.

Really really take consideration to wait Intel Coffee Lake. It is not the best time to build now.

Thermal issue is see what case you choose and how well you balance your system overall.

Sent from PM me if you wanna build a DIY PC or wanna learn how to make one yourself :D using GAGT

Last edited:

lifeishard

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Then do not go for nice case, get a good air flow mid tower case and put it under the desk.

Below27

Reaction score
Then do not go for nice case, get a good air flow mid tower case and put it under the desk.

Tbh I am not looking for the nicest case. I am looking for a small sized one that wont take too much space on my desk, will be able support the specs I am looking for while regulating temperatures effectively, and wont collect too much dust/dirt (as with the open design on the dreamcore).

I do not have space under my desk for a mid tower, as I have already placed a bunch of stuff (e.g. subwoofer) as I was previously using a laptop.

I welcome your advice, but it would be great if it could be more constructive, thanks!

Last edited:

Below27

Reaction score
You got the wrong idea about liquid cooling. Just because it's liquid cooling, doesn't mean it's definitely better than air cooled. It's just that liquid cooling takes longer to achieve thermal equilibrium where as air cooled is faster so it hit temp limit earlier. Run an AIO under stress for an hour or two, you will hit the thermal limit with the same max temp as an equivalent air cooler.

Same thing, a good air cooler like Cryorig R1, would outperform most 120mm aio and even some of the 240mm aio.

Also another thing to consider using liquid cooling, is that the pump will weaken or fail over time, so you have to care for both pump and fans for the radiator. Creating one more potential failure point for your rig.

Thermal wise depends on your CPU and how high you are going to overclock it.

Really really take consideration to wait Intel Coffee Lake. It is not the best time to build now.

Thermal issue is see what case you choose and how well you balance your system overall.

It seems like you really know what you're doing/talking about. Do you think that the Corsair is not a good buy? I heard from a few people that it is only around 200 dollars more expensive than if I were to build a PC with the same components.

If I were to build a PC, you suggest waiting for Intel Coffee Lake, do you know how long the wait is? Like I assume I have to wait a while for the release, then longer for the arrival in Singapore, then even longer for the prices to stabilise/drop? I could be wrong of course, but any idea on the wait time, especially since I've been planning on getting a desktop since the beginning of the year, feels like I've waited very long already!

joshuaho

Reaction score
For AIOs, u would have to look at it from a few points

-Radiator size
120vs240vs360, obviously the bigger it is, the better the cooling performance. However don't expect to fall below ambient temp. It's NOT possible.

-Radiator thickness
AKA fin density. The higher the density, usually it means greater cooling performance. However u would need to necessary fan paired along with it, in order to drive the heat out of the radiator. No point having the thickest radiator there is on the market but ur fans are unable to dissipate the heat

-Pump speed
Pump too slow, heat transfer too slowly around the loop, too fast, heat is unable to dissipate through radiator efficiently. Be aware of the type of pump u get in the AIO

-Pump noise
One of the main reasons why people complain AIOs are noisy, is attributed to pump noise. Experience it to know it, period. It's like an engine inside a case.

-Fan noise
Secondary reason why people complain AIOs are noisy. Pump tends to get noticeably louder when the rpm is cranked up, but so do the fans.

-Airflow of case
Any blockage in the case for intake / exhaust? This pairs along with the fin density, if u are already unable to dissipate heat properly through the radiator, poor airflow would worsen the issue

It seems like you really know what you're doing/talking about. Do you think that the Corsair is not a good buy? I heard from a few people that it is only around 200 dollars more expensive than if I were to build a PC with the same components.

If I were to build a PC, you suggest waiting for Intel Coffee Lake, do you know how long the wait is? Like I assume I have to wait a while for the release, then longer for the arrival in Singapore, then even longer for the prices to stabilise/drop? I could be wrong of course, but any idea on the wait time, especially since I've been planning on getting a desktop since the beginning of the year, feels like I've waited very long already!

lifeishard

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tbh I am not looking for the nicest case. I am looking for a small sized one that wont take too much space on my desk, will be able support the specs I am looking for while regulating temperatures effectively, and wont collect too much dust/dirt (as with the open design on the dreamcore).

I do not have space under my desk for a mid tower, as I have already placed a bunch of stuff (e.g. subwoofer) as I was previously using a laptop.

I welcome your advice, but it would be great if it could be more constructive, thanks!

How the hell is it not constructive? Did you mention you have a bunch of stuff under your desk,duh? Bring your attitude elsewhere, smartie!

Last edited:

Below27

Reaction score
How the hell is it not constructive? Did you mention you have a bunch of stuff under your desk,duh? Bring your attitude elsewhere, smartie!

Sorry, I did not mean to offend you, what I meant was, I was just asking for a help/advice about a desktop with small footprint, but it seemed like you were just looking to prove that I do not need a desktop with a small footprint (asking about no space for desktop but space for two monitors, then telling me to just get a bigger desktop and put it under the table)

But if you were genuinely trying to advise me with your comments then I apologise, I am trying to get help with finding a setup that would suit my needs, not trying to start a fight or anything

Below27

Reaction score
For AIOs, u would have to look at it from a few points

-Radiator size
120vs240vs360, obviously the bigger it is, the better the cooling performance. However don't expect to fall below ambient temp. It's NOT possible.

-Radiator thickness
AKA fin density. The higher the density, usually it means greater cooling performance. However u would need to necessary fan paired along with it, in order to drive the heat out of the radiator. No point having the thickest radiator there is on the market but ur fans are unable to dissipate the heat

-Pump speed
Pump too slow, heat transfer too slowly around the loop, too fast, heat is unable to dissipate through radiator efficiently. Be aware of the type of pump u get in the AIO

-Pump noise
One of the main reasons why people complain AIOs are noisy, is attributed to pump noise. Experience it to know it, period. It's like an engine inside a case.

-Fan noise
Secondary reason why people complain AIOs are noisy. Pump tends to get noticeably louder when the rpm is cranked up, but so do the fans.

-Airflow of case
Any blockage in the case for intake / exhaust? This pairs along with the fin density, if u are already unable to dissipate heat properly through the radiator, poor airflow would worsen the issue

Yeah, I get where you're coming from, this is exactly why I am so worried about building my own PC, with all these ind of airflow and cooling issues regardless of which route I go. I am also sure there alot of positioning decisions and issues I need to decide when building it especially because of the small size I am trying to cram it into. That is why I was considering a prebuilt pc (BTW the desktop model I am considering is the Corsair One Pro, they all have 16gb ram and i7-7700k, and I am looking towards getting the 480GB SSD M.2 and GTX1080 or GTX 1080ti variant), and looking for any advice on building one, or where I can get someone to help me build one (sls?)

joshuaho

Reaction score
If u are worried about temps, then don't bother looking at the "k" chips as they have a higher tdp.

Compact size, go for Low profile coolers. Ensure proper intake and exhaust, will solve some heat issues.

GPU opt for blower style for Small form factor cases as u don't want the Hot air to be circulating around the already compact case with no exit route. (Blower style means hot air exhaust through the I/o panel of the GPU)

Can look for singupingu below to build for you! His recommendation will be more suited for ur needs! I would like to help you out if possible but currently stuck in hospital looking after a relative for at least another week so a bit cmi

Yeah, I get where you're coming from, this is exactly why I am so worried about building my own PC, with all these ind of airflow and cooling issues regardless of which route I go. I am also sure there alot of positioning decisions and issues I need to decide when building it especially because of the small size I am trying to cram it into. That is why I was considering a prebuilt pc (BTW the desktop model I am considering is the Corsair One Pro, they all have 16gb ram and i7-7700k, and I am looking towards getting the 480GB SSD M.2 and GTX1080 or GTX 1080ti variant), and looking for any advice on building one, or where I can get someone to help me build one (sls?)

Last edited:

singupingu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If u are worried about temps, then don't bother looking at the "k" chips as they have a higher tdp.

Compact size, go for Low profile coolers. Ensure proper intake and exhaust, will solve some heat issues.

GPU opt for blower style for Small form factor cases as u don't want the Hot air to be circulating around the already compact case with no exit route. (Blower style means hot air exhaust through the I/o panel of the GPU)

Can look for singupingu below to build for you! His recommendation will be more suited for ur needs! I would like to help you out if possible but currently stuck in hospital looking after a relative for at least another week so a bit cmi

Take care bro. Glad you're helping around the forum so often.

Even for ITX cases, nothing much to worry about heat. Say Fractal Node 202, my advice always goes with 2x 120mm fans at the gpu chamber, feeding air into the gpu side and keep the chassis overall with positive air pressure to force out heat. Not much room inside the case so heat trap almost don't exist with said setup. Still won't recommend overclocking with this chassis. Mild still can though. Small footprint full power. Regarding noise I can adjust the fan curve to be more quiet yet not compromising the airflow. It depends on the type of fans you put inside too.

singupingu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I'm not the most expert guy here, but I just share my research outcome and experience with new and old builders alike. Corsair One is tempting but expensive in my opinion. The water cooling looks worth and tempting especially. So I understand your concern.

Also, the wait is unbearable I know the feel. Coz when I build mine is also the same. But since you waited 8+ months liao, coffee lake debut at October. Another month of wait only for additional 2 cores even for mainstream i5, I would say it is worth. Don't make rash decision really.

Also, your requirement of 20cm width chassis is simple. Even MATX chassis will for your table nicely. So don't need to wait till ITX boards to come out then build. The moment Coffee Lake debut, you should be able to start building already. Expect early November to complete your build if Coffee Lake launch on time on October.

Chill and think about what I suggested. At the meantime, you can save some cost by doing some research on SSD, HDD, the type of chassis to buy, some accessories or RGB stuff, mouse keyboard, etc. Choose a chassis you like first. Then decide other parts. Also look out on deals from Amazon, Lazada, Qoo10. Buy one stuff at a time from these online platform and make use of their rebates and coupons. Can save quite a bit overall.

Chassis wise, if MATX, I really like Fractal Design Define Mini C (now got TG version) and Inwin 301 (best aesthetic in my context but not so favourable airflow)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.