 Pay Discussions [Read first page for FAQ]

PetPet

Reaction score
TBH, with the amount of money Apple is holding.
They can start their own banks :crazy:

ashhong

Reaction score
Unless Apple decides to incorporate CEPAS standard NFC in their new iPhones.

Highly doubt it’ll happen though because Singapore isn’t as big of a market compared to Japan, and FeliCa is the de facto standard there.

yup, sg is too much as compared to japan.
the problem with such standard is that it will end up with so many standard everywhere.

that is exactly that i don't know the idea of sg creating a new cashless standard here. I would prefer a global option such as WeChat Pay.

It would be similar to how our credit cards are mainly Visa or Mastercard as they are a global standard.

a global standard is better because it mean we can use it out of sg also. and when tourist comes over to sg, they can use it here too.

tec_geek

Reaction score
yup, sg is too much as compared to japan.
the problem with such standard is that it will end up with so many standard everywhere.

that is exactly that i don't know the idea of sg creating a new cashless standard here. I would prefer a global option such as WeChat Pay.

It would be similar to how our credit cards are mainly Visa or Mastercard as they are a global standard.

a global standard is better because it mean we can use it out of sg also. and when tourist comes over to sg, they can use it here too.

Right on point, exactly what I was thinking too.

It’s better to see more shops and outlets accepting such payment modes like WeChat Pay and Contactless terminals VS creating our own.

Could be a faster movement towards a Smarter Nation.

For Ezlink Cards, not sure if it’s feasible but it can rolled out as reloadable/prepaid debit cards. People can add value to the card at terminals just like a normal Ezlink card, to cater for the younger and older people. As it is like a bank card, you could add them on your phone and treat it as contactless or Apple Pay.

Reloadable/prepaid debit cards should be safer for some as it is not tied to any savings or bank account in a case if the card is stolen or misplaced.

For concession Ezlink cards, they could do the same as reloadable/debit cards, with concession rates for that particular card.

We could also have online accounts, adding the various Ezlink cards that we have for the younger and older people and could also help top up their cards for them via online. The online accounts can also help us monitor the history of the trips and more.

Last edited:

ashhong

Reaction score
Right on point, exactly what I was thinking too.

It’s better to see more shops and outlets accepting such payment modes like WeChat Pay and Contactless terminals VS creating our own.

Could be a faster movement towards a Smarter Nation.

For Ezlink Cards, not sure if it’s feasible but it can rolled out as reloadable/prepaid debit cards. People can add value to the card at terminals just like a normal Ezlink card, to cater for the younger and older people. As it is like a bank card, you could add them on your phone and treat it as contactless or Apple Pay.

Reloadable/prepaid debit cards should be safer for some as it is not tied to any savings or bank account in a case if the card is stolen or misplaced.

For concession Ezlink cards, they could do the same as reloadable/debit cards, with concession rates for that particular card.

We could also have online accounts, adding the various Ezlink cards that we have for the younger and older people and could also help top up their cards for them via online. The online accounts can also help us monitor the history of the trips and more.

yes, ezlink is also a possible solution given that most of us that uses the public transport already has one ezlink.

and the various terminals at the cashier can be confusing especially for the newer staff.
just now i was trying to pay for lunch, the staff used the wrong terminal and hence my amex wasn't accepted. i had to told her to use the other terminal that is for amex.

ashhong

Reaction score
Seems like Apple Pay on transportations won’t be here this year.

JN6FX0b.jpg

Apple Pay on transportation will be on trial starting next year.

"As part of LTA's Account-Based Ticketing (ABT) pilot with Mastercard, the authority said it would trial the use of mobile payment methods such as Android Pay, Apple Pay and Samsung Pay for public transport systems from the first quarter of 2018."
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/lta-to-trial-apple-pay-android-pay-on-public-transport-9205028

*adiBOY

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Apple Pay on transportation will be on trial starting next year.

"As part of LTA's Account-Based Ticketing (ABT) pilot with Mastercard, the authority said it would trial the use of mobile payment methods such as Android Pay, Apple Pay and Samsung Pay for public transport systems from the first quarter of 2018."
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/lta-to-trial-apple-pay-android-pay-on-public-transport-9205028

What a joke. First quarter next year?! Singapore is really slow in implementing new technology.

Fellowes

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Unless Apple decides to incorporate CEPAS standard NFC in their new iPhones.

Highly doubt it’ll happen though because Singapore isn’t as big of a market compared to Japan, and FeliCa is the de facto standard there.

I am sure LTA/Bank/Apple/Samsung/Google have found a way to incorporate Apple/Samsung/Android pay for transport if not they won't even announce. It's a good start, time to save money on Apple Watch 3.

At least it coming soon, we can enjoy the convenient like London/Korea/Japan.

Last edited:

Slavor

Reaction score
The existing mastercard trial already uses the same NFC technology used by apple pay. The CEPAS technology mentioned by the previous user is the standard SG uses for flashpay and EZ Link, which apple does not incorporate in their phone...

I am sure LTA/Bank/Apple/Samsung/Google have found a way to incorporate Apple/Samsung/Android pay for transport if not they won't even announce. It's a good start, time to save money on Apple Watch 3.

At least it coming soon, we can enjoy the convenient like London/Korea/Japan.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
What a joke. First quarter next year?! Singapore is really slow in implementing new technology.

haha yeah... we have been discussing and waiting for this since mar 2017...
now then they start implement ABT Apple Pay.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
yes, ezlink is also a possible solution given that most of us that uses the public transport already has one ezlink.

and the various terminals at the cashier can be confusing especially for the newer staff.
just now i was trying to pay for lunch, the staff used the wrong terminal and hence my amex wasn't accepted. i had to told her to use the other terminal that is for amex.

i think NETS Flashpay is expanding to have some of these features. ezlink now mostly used for public transport only.

also they are now consolidating into 1 terminal that can read all NETS/flashpay and credit/debit/paywave/paypass cards. only ezlink cannot be read.

Fellowes

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When will the bloody Citibank come to Apple Pay, it’s really testing our patience. It’s support in USA but not Singapore. WTF right........

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.