[ADVISE NEEDED] New puppy owner

rollanddie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, my family have just got a new puppy, 2 months old poodle.

Generally all is good, but there seems to be some problem with toilet training...

I have a pee tray with newspaper(which has some of its pee smell on it) but everytime I put her there, she'll either bite the newspaper or keep digging the pee tray and she will pee nearby the pee tray but not in it...

Any advise on what to improve?

Sent from 1000char using GAGT

Jumpman23

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Relax, it's your first time with a dog. Same with human relationships it takes time to bond with him/her.

For housebreaking you have to be patient. Poodles can take a while to pick up habits. Just be consistent and keep at it. They normally start to sniff and want to pee/poop shortly after waking up and after meals. Try to time your housebreaking training around those timings if possible. Remember it takes time and she may not get it right all the time. My beagle is 10 yrs old and sometimes she still pee on the floor. :s22:

Most important thing to remember (it will be difficult sometimes) is not to let ur anger overcome you and use violence on her. They need your understanding and patience, not anger. They can be good teachers to us in mindfulness and patience if we let them.

For sterilization it generally can be done around 6 mths or so. Find a good vet and understand the process. They will need around 1-2 weeks to recover afterwards. Your vet will advise you on the after care and nutritional requirements.

Just take your time to understand her and let her understand what you want from her. :)

Sylvianaz

Reaction score
When can the puppy go out for a walk? Is the body of a three month old puppy strong enough?

Definitely! I took my dog out for walks when he was a month old. Now I own a cat did the same thing. Just remember to bring water and treats if its going to be a long walk. I carry a carry bag for my cat in case she gets tired and just pop her in there to rest.

eatanddrink

Reaction score
You need to be very patient in the initial training. The key is to catch them in action and quickly correct them. When you see them sniffing the ground in circles, be ready to catch them if they start peeing or pooping. Quickly carry them to the pee pad and tell them to do it.

Whenever they pee in the correct place, reward and praise them. When they do it in the wrong place, scold in a firm voice and bring them to the correct spot to show them again. After a while, they will get it.

My woofie took abt two weeks to be toilet-trained.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.