[NEWS] Singtel to shut down ageing ADSL network in April 2018

VigilanteX

Reaction score
Hi Singtel, I've got another question. If I were to migrate to 300Mbps Fibre @ $29.90/mth, can I opt to retain my analogue home line instead of switching to digital home line?

I'm on mio Home 10Mbps ADSL now if you require this additional info. :)

Edit: Made a mistake. Mistook it as 0.86dollars per 30s block when it should be 0.86cents. So actually analogue line is not expensive at all.

Last edited:

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Take note that analogue line outgoing call charges is $1.72 per minute during peak hours. Very expensive. Digital line outgoing is free (pending confirmation from Singtel)
That I know, but analogue home line will be better in my case because it can linked to my lower and upper floor of my house with the same number.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That I know, but analogue home line will be better in my case because it can linked to my lower and upper floor of my house with the same number.

True because many years back most people wired up their house with copper wire from first storey to 3rd storey and some even to roof top where people can BBQ and drink there.

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
True because many years back most people wired up their house with copper wire from first storey to 3rd storey and some even to roof top where people can BBQ and drink there.

I'm staying in a HDB EM now, and yeah the copper wire is linked up to both the first storey and second storey for convenience.

It would be a hassle to switch to digital home line because another rewiring has to be done.
:o

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Eh, correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the VOIP modem will take care of the analog-digital conversion, which means that you connect an analog telephone cable from the voip modem to your phone. So, for different room extension, you just need to re-trace/re-wire the main socket only, not the cabling, and then you can connect a phone cable from the modem to the main socket and the rest of the rooms can be connected, right ?
Yup I know that too, Singtel also previously advised me to do similar setup too.

However, the TP location in my house isn't located near my main telephone socket, so if I were to do a similar setup that would mean wiring a long telephone line to the main socket. It would be quite unsightly though, thus I will be ruling out that option unless Singtel now doesn't allow me to retain my analogue home line after the fibre migration.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yup I know that too, Singtel also previously advised me to do similar setup too.

However, the TP location in my house isn't located near my main telephone socket, so if I were to do a similar setup that would mean wiring a long telephone line to the main socket. It would be quite unsightly though, thus I will be ruling out that option unless Singtel now doesn't allow me to retain my analogue home line after the fibre migration.

What SingTel does is that they will still throw in the digital line for you for the fibre and that is a different number. It will be provisioned over ONR and then you can choose to use or not to use.

The analogue line they will not touch if you specifically instructed them and that all outgoing calls are charged and your subscription fees continue..

However, things will turn awry if you want to change your digital line number to your analogue number should you intend to turn it into a digital line. My old experience for it was a very lengthy one. Took about 3 4 months to settle. But that was many years ago during the exStream days..

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What SingTel does is that they will still throw in the digital line for you for the fibre and that is a different number. It will be provisioned over ONR and then you can choose to use or not to use.

The analogue line they will not touch if you specifically instructed them and that all outgoing calls are charged and your subscription fees continue..

However, things will turn awry if you want to change your digital line number to your analogue number should you intend to turn it into a digital line. My old experience for it was a very lengthy one. Took about 3 4 months to settle. But that was many years ago during the exStream days..
Oh, so I will get a different number for the digital line while I retain my existing analogue line with my existing number.

3-4 months is rather long for the migration from analogue to digital, wonder if the duration of the process is now shorter or not haha :)

Thanks for the info, renfred89, very informative :s12:

Singtel

Featured Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi VigilanteX,

Yes, the statements are correct.

Sorry Singtel, still a bit confused. Are the following statements correct?

1) I can request for migration from 10 Mbps adsl to Fibre 300mbps to come with a analogue home line that comes without the need to pay quarterly subscription. ($29.43 quarterly.)

charges for outgoing call will still apply. Incoming calls are free.

2. The free digital home line will still be available even if I were to retain the existing analogue home line stated in point number 1.

3. The fiber internet and analogue phone line can be under different subscriber/name and will still qualify for free analogue subscription.

4. For DIGITAL home line, subscription fee, outgoing or incoming call charges do not apply as long as I continue my subscription to Singtel fibre 300mbps.

Thank you for your reply Singtel.

Hi amazingone,

Yes, you can opt to retain analogue home line.

Hi Singtel, I've got another question. If I were to migrate to 300Mbps Fibre @ $29.90/mth, can I opt to retain my analogue home line instead of switching to digital home line?

I'm on mio Home 10Mbps ADSL now if you require this additional info. :)

kw442

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is the upload speed for 300mbs symmetrical?

F8Oh3UJ.png

Tested with a wired connection, Bitdefender Total Security running but VPN turned off.

Singtel

Featured Sponsor
Reaction score
@Singtel,
The home line number still remains the same if upgrade to digital ?
Hi peterchan75,

The home line number will remain the same if you upgrade to digital.

There will be no charges for upgrading to digital line.

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi peterchan75,

The home line number will remain the same if you upgrade to digital.

There will be no charges for upgrading to digital line.

Thanks. Need to change my cordless phone to digital one ?

I have not received any offer letter for 300Mbps at $29.90 per month. Can I upgrade now ?

Last edited:

heartywarrior

Reaction score
Hi heartywarrior,

The monthly subscription fee will change to $59.90 after 24 months.

You can start looking out for new offers at 21 months of contract.

To clarify on our earlier statement about "the monthly subscription will not change after two years", it's referring to the general promotion for ADSL customers who migrate to fibre.

There are other promotions where customers are entitled to bill rebates for a certain period of time. In those cases, the monthly subscription will change after the end of the promotion.

Hope this clarifies.
Hi Singtel,

Thanks for the info given earlier. I got 2 main items below which I need further clarifications.

Item 1:
I was looking through the T&C at the Singtel website for the promotion: https://www.singtel.com/content/dam...ree/pdf/FibrePromotion_TermsAndConditions.pdf

Under point 8: "8. Customers may only subscribe or recontract for a 300M Fibre Home Bundle with 24 month Minimum Subscription Period if they subscribe or recontract to a Singtel TV plan at the same time. Such Singtel TV plan must have (i) a 24 month Minimum Subscription Period, (ii) a monthly subscription of at least $23.90 per month and (iii) be activated on the same installation address and registered under the same customer ID"

So if I don't subscribe to Singtel TV plan, I cannot upgrade my decommissioning adsl plan to this 300Mbps fibre broadband plan?? is there a hidden higher price not mentioned?

Item 2:
I understand from reading some website reports of subscribers having delay issues to the activation of their port 2 of their FTP some lasting few months.... can Singtel do a pre-check with Netlink for the relevent port 2 activation request first to see if there's any capacity issues before potential customers sign up first so at least customer can plan other arrangements and make an informed decision. If not, we are just signing up online and get bounded by the service contract. Any penalties to the customer in the case Netlink finds insufficient capacity and cannot rectify, and customer can as such cancel the subscription?

Apologies for the long questions but I think they are important ones.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For the 2nd port insufficient capacity, its not provider dependent. No matter which provider you go, the issue will also come back to you..

Hi Singtel,

Thanks for the info given earlier. I got 2 main items below which I need further clarifications.

Item 1:
I was looking through the T&C at the Singtel website for the promotion: https://www.singtel.com/content/dam...ree/pdf/FibrePromotion_TermsAndConditions.pdf

Under point 8: "8. Customers may only subscribe or recontract for a 300M Fibre Home Bundle with 24 month Minimum Subscription Period if they subscribe or recontract to a Singtel TV plan at the same time. Such Singtel TV plan must have (i) a 24 month Minimum Subscription Period, (ii) a monthly subscription of at least $23.90 per month and (iii) be activated on the same installation address and registered under the same customer ID"

So if I don't subscribe to Singtel TV plan, I cannot upgrade my decommissioning adsl plan to this 300Mbps fibre broadband plan?? is there a hidden higher price not mentioned?

Item 2:
I understand from reading some website reports of subscribers having delay issues to the activation of their port 2 of their FTP some lasting few months.... can Singtel do a pre-check with Netlink for the relevent port 2 activation request first to see if there's any capacity issues before potential customers sign up first so at least customer can plan other arrangements and make an informed decision. If not, we are just signing up online and get bounded by the service contract. Any penalties to the customer in the case Netlink finds insufficient capacity and cannot rectify, and customer can as such cancel the subscription?

kw442

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Singtel,

Item 1:

Item 2:

Item 1:
Migrated from ST ADSL to ST 300M fibre last June & did not subscribe to Singtel TV plan.

Someone from ST did call me after I signed up informing me about free Singtel TV but I didn't take up the offer.

Last edited:

VigilanteX

Reaction score
Sorry Singtel, still a bit confused. Are the following statements correct?

1) I can request for migration from 10 Mbps adsl to Fibre 300mbps to come with a analogue home line that comes without the need to pay quarterly subscription. ($29.43 quarterly.)

charges for outgoing call will still apply. Incoming calls are free.

2. The free digital home line will still be available even if I were to retain the existing analogue home line stated in point number 1.

3. The fiber internet and analogue phone line can be under different subscriber/name and will still qualify for free analogue subscription.

4. For DIGITAL home line, subscription fee, outgoing or incoming call charges do not apply as long as I continue my subscription to Singtel fibre 300mbps.

Thank you for your reply Singtel.

Hi Singtel. You previously mentioned point number 2 was true. However, after having my 300mbps fibre activated, I realise I do not have any digital voice line activated. Why is this so? Thank you.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.