Nvidia GPU Notebooks with mini DP

bullwheel

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a gaming notebook with GTX1070 that has a mini display port.

As the monitor is not G-sync capable, does anyone know if I can get G-sync with a compatible monitor from the mini display port output?

Last edited:

chiaRH

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a gaming notebook with GTX1070 that has a mini display port.

As the monitor is not G-sync capable, does anyone know if I can get G-sync with a compatible monitor from the mini display port output?

you need
- the laptop GPU to be gsync certified, which it already is since it is 1070

- the laptop to have displayport 1.2

- the laptop's display port must be directly connected internally to the nvidia GPU, most people will recognise this as meaning that the laptop will lack Optimus cos display I/O dont go through the intel GPU, the only exception are aftershock laptops which have a multiplex switch that can be manually toggled between a optimus-compatible mode and pure-dGPU mode for gsync

bullwheel

Reaction score
I see.... So if a laptop lacks integrated GPU and has a latest GTX discrete GPU with dp out, we can safely assume that it will support g sync with external monitor.

Thanks.

chiaRH

Reaction score
I see.... So if a laptop lacks integrated GPU and has a latest GTX discrete GPU with dp out, we can safely assume that it will support g sync with external monitor.

Thanks.

actually most laptops definitely have the iGPU, cos its a basic feature on all laptop intel CPUs now

its just that the iGPU in these gsync laptops is totally not utilised at all. its like extra hardware sitting there doing nothing.

In the traditional nvidia optimus design the rendering itself will either be done by iGPU or dGPU, but the result of that output will 'emerge' through the iGPU in both scenarios. All display connections (hardware) are thus connected to the iGPU, this is a necessity for Optimus.

in gsync laptops the display connections are connected to the dGPU. This is a necessity for gsync.

bullwheel

Reaction score
Hmm... But the gaming laptops that I'm interested in do not mention anything about iGPU, so is that an indication that all graphics output is through the dGPU?

No mention of Optimus as well.

chiaRH

Reaction score
Hmm... But the gaming laptops that I'm interested in do not mention anything about iGPU, so is that an indication that all graphics output is through the dGPU?

Well of course the ads wont mention every tiny little detail about the device, if its a gaming machine they will primarily emphasise the gaming related things.

For example gaming laptops that have SD Card slots will never have their SD card read/write speeds mentioned (not even in the tech specs, if any).

If you are really unsure whether a laptop can support external gsync the safest bet is to google the laptop model and check.

narkizy

Reaction score

No. EVERY laptop powered by an intel chip comes with a iGPU. They just dont bother mentioning it since they're advertising a gaming laptop so the iGPU carries no weight. But even so in normal use outside of games/graphically intensive tasks the iGPU is always used to maximise power-efficiency. No diff between gaming laptops and normal laptops in this aspect.

You can force the computer to use the dGPU 100% of the time ofc. Though it wouldnt make practical sense to do so.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.