How to Open a Stock Trading account in Singapore-Updated 2015

CharlieMike

Reaction score
Hi guys, uni student looking to open a broker account.
Currently looking at Lim and Tan, any reviews on them? Planning to pump in 100 ~ 200 monthly and slowly work my way up.

And don't know if correct place to ask, friend told me about Catalist, wanna take a look at the company listed on Catalist board, but couldn't find it online. They say maybe need to open up an account then use their platform to see. Or is there any other way for me to check up the companies listed on Catalist?

Pardon me for any mistake, still learning the ropes.

a4973

Master Member
Reaction score
hi guys
i have an issue with my CDP statement. just some background. i have not been actively trading for some 10 + years & was just collecting dividends. only when i received may's cdp statement i look thru in detail & noticed the following.

Security <stock name> Free (A) Available (B) Balance (AB) Last Price ( $xxx ) Market Value $xxx(corresponds to AB x Last price)

i have called CDP & was advised that <Available> means stock that i dont actually own pending settlement but the thing is i have not been trading for 10+years & even the CDP CSO did look thru previous statements stretching back to 2013 that shows the same. however the dividends i have been receiving as shown on the statement is based on the <Balance> ie i am getting dividends on the full sum of shares. the CSO has taken more than 1 week to check & has still not gotten back to me.
have called CDP again on last sat but still none the wiser.
has anybody come across this before?

Last edited:

a4973

Master Member
Reaction score
hi guys
i have an issue with my CDP statement. just some background. i have not been actively trading for some 10 + years & was just collecting dividends. only when i received may's cdp statement i look thru in detail & noticed the following.

Security <stock name> Free (A) Available (B) Balance (AB) Last Price ( $xxx ) Market Value $xxx(corresponds to AB x Last price)

i have called CDP & was advised that <Available> means stock that i dont actually own pending settlement but the thing is i have not been trading for 10+years & even the CDP CSO did look thru previous statements stretching back to 2013 that shows the same. however the dividends i have been receiving as shown on the statement is based on the <Balance> ie i am getting dividends on the full sum of shares. the CSO has taken more than 1 week to check & has still not gotten back to me.
have called CDP again on last sat but still none the wiser.
has anybody come across this before?

i should also add that the rest of my stock counters in the statement are as they should be ie the full number of shares in <A> Free, none in <B> Available.

Last edited:

alatus

Reaction score
I've opened a trading account with CIMB. However, I don't have a StarSaver account with them yet. So my commission rates are higher.

I saw that they have a cash up front scheme. Is this scheme simply just opening a new StarSaver account with CIMB and link it to my trading account and I can start trading with the lower cash up front commission rates?

What's the minimum amount I'm required to keep in this star saver account at all time? It says on the website that they require an initial deposit of $1000. Can I withdraw it immediately out of the account after creating it?

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I've opened a trading account with CIMB. However, I don't have a StarSaver account with them yet. So my commission rates are higher.

I saw that they have a cash up front scheme. Is this scheme simply just opening a new StarSaver account with CIMB and link it to my trading account and I can start trading with the lower cash up front commission rates?

What's the minimum amount I'm required to keep in this star saver account at all time? It says on the website that they require an initial deposit of $1000. Can I withdraw it immediately out of the account after creating it?

Initial deposit is $1000, but iirc no minimum sum to maintain and therefore yes u can withdraw anytime

And yes u need a cimb saving account to enjoy cash upfront trading

alatus

Reaction score
Initial deposit is $1000, but iirc no minimum sum to maintain and therefore yes u can withdraw anytime

And yes u need a cimb saving account to enjoy cash upfront trading

They have a CIMB StarSaver Account and CIMB StarSaver (Savings) account. Are they the same? Can I use anyone of them for the cash upfront trading?

Also, can I apply directly from their website for an account?

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
They have a CIMB StarSaver Account and CIMB StarSaver (Savings) account. Are they the same? Can I use anyone of them for the cash upfront trading?

Also, can I apply directly from their website for an account?

Iirc starsaver and fastsaver can be linked

Yes, I think u still can

Maybe tmr u can call 18005389889 to confirm as not sure is there any change in rules lately or noy

alatus

Reaction score
Can anyone using CIMB trading account help me out with something here?

Their interface is terribly confusing.

1. How can I find out the CDP account that is linked to my CIMB trading account?
2. I don't have a OneKey token. Can I still buy/sell with my CIMB Cash (not CashUp Front) account?

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Can anyone using CIMB trading account help me out with something here?

Their interface is terribly confusing.

1. How can I find out the CDP account that is linked to my CIMB trading account?
2. I don't have a OneKey token. Can I still buy/sell with my CIMB Cash (not CashUp Front) account?

1. Call broker to ask, or check your cdp statement send to you, or if u have done a trade before, just go [account], [sgx e-statement]
2. Can still buy and sell, just bypass the "one key login"

alatus

Reaction score
1. Call broker to ask, or check your cdp statement send to you, or if u have done a trade before, just go [account], [sgx e-statement]
2. Can still buy and sell, just bypass the "one key login"

1. I only have one CDP account which they have created for me. So I believe it's correct. But I wanted to double check as this is the first time I'm going to use my CIMB account for trading, so a little more paranoid. :s13:

2. Oh great!

Sorry, just one more question. So let's say if I applied for an IPO and I got it in my CDP account. Will I see my balloted IPO in my CIMB trading account under "Portfolio" > "Unrealised Gain" that section immediately?

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
1. I only have one CDP account which they have created for me. So I believe it's correct. But I wanted to double check as this is the first time I'm going to use my CIMB account for trading, so a little more paranoid. :s13:

2. Oh great!

Sorry, just one more question. So let's say if I applied for an IPO and I got it in my CDP account. Will I see my balloted IPO in my CIMB trading account under "Portfolio" > "Unrealised Gain" that section immediately?

No, brokerage does not know your cdp movement at all

juzme09

Reaction score
Recently SCB upgraded their platform, users out there, how is it?

Maybank KE VS SCB Trading platform which is better?

JoieDeVivre

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am just wondering why phillips securities/POEMS are seldom the choice brokerage around here as i seldom see them mentioned here. is it because of the higher commission or something like that ?

ec_2008

Reaction score
Newbie trying to open trading account.

Hi all, newbie here trying to invest in stocks. Been reading this thread for a while, but still unable to decide which broker to go with. Hope that the experts can give me some pointers with reference to the points below. Thanks in advance!

1. Will be using the account to buy ETF and dividend stocks only for long term investment(will hold it till i die)

2. Can only invest about $500 per month. This is a portion of my salary which i can invest in.

3. Read the thread that there will be a min commission of around $25 per transaction. Therefore i may only do a buy every 3-6 months.

4. Can i open a SCB trading account for buying only? As this bank charged the lowest commission as per what i read in this thread. Or now there are other broker offer about the same commission as SCB also. (Read from thread that SCB platform is lag and not user friendly). Does SCB trading platform has charting?

5. If it's ok to open a SCB trading account, can it be link to my UOB saving account so that i can transfer the money to the SCB trading account?

6. And i will open another trading account with another broker as a standby. May i know which broker has the most user friendly platform? Preferably with charting function also. Which broker has courses to teach it's customers on how to use it's trading
platform?

7. Knew that SCB is a custody account. Therefore i will need the other broker to help me open a CDP account also.

sannoh

Reaction score
Just to ask, if i decide to open DBSvickers in person, will they assits me to open my CDP account as well? TYIA =D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.