[AMA] I am a veterinarian. Ask me anything :D

lookingahead

Reaction score
got $$ to burn a not?? vet fee now a day not cheap..
base on ur 1-4.... better dont get a dog. Mostt breed will had 1-4 issue..

dont see ppl dog good than u think is natural like tht. all is training & care effort tht owner put in le.

Agree that vet quite expensive. I brought my hamster to see a vet and it cost about $100. Dogs easily cost 200-300 bucks and above. I do understand that some effort is required for keeping a pet and nothing is easy unless one really lucky to have a pet with min issue. My frd had Chihuahua and rarely had any issue except some barking. Her neighbours r ok but not all neighbour r the same, some r quick to complain.

babyrainy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My dog's skin condition worsened and we decided to shave him. Now easier for me to take a photo. The bump on his body was checked by the vet, not of concern.

K74ErFu.jpg

As usual the vet is not able to pinpoint the exact cause. I noticed some round patches on his stomach.

jRbWtFN.jpg

I am worried about ringworm but he's up to date on his annual vaccination and the vet ruled it out the previous time. His appetite and everything else remains the same though. Don't know what to do liao. :(

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My dog's skin condition worsened and we decided to shave him. Now easier for me to take a photo. The bump on his body was checked by the vet, not of concern.

K74ErFu.jpg

As usual the vet is not able to pinpoint the exact cause. I noticed some round patches on his stomach.

jRbWtFN.jpg

I am worried about ringworm but he's up to date on his annual vaccination and the vet ruled it out the previous time. His appetite and everything else remains the same though. Don't know what to do liao. :(

TBH, I'd be concerned about ringworms too. How your vet rule it out?

babyrainy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
TBH, I'd be concerned about ringworms too. How your vet rule it out?

She did a microscopic test on the scabs and after that just said it shouldn't be ringworms. Uh, is that how ringworms are tested for? Will be bringing him to another vet for some other opinion. If it is really ringworms, is it life threatening for a 11 year old dog? And will humans be able to get infected as well? Thanks.

Last edited:

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
She did a microscopic test on the scabs and after that just said it shouldn't be ringworms. Uh, is that how ringworms are tested for? Will be bringing him to another vet for some other opinion. If it is really ringworms, is it life threatening for a 11 year old dog? And will humans be able to get infected as well? Thanks.

Quick and easy would be to use Woods Lamp to check for flourescence but only about 40% of ringworms will show up. The other tests will be dermatophyte testing medium which cultures the fungi and can take a long time to show up. For me if suspicious of ringworms, treat as if it is ringworms with medicated wash first

babyrainy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Quick and easy would be to use Woods Lamp to check for flourescence but only about 40% of ringworms will show up. The other tests will be dermatophyte testing medium which cultures the fungi and can take a long time to show up. For me if suspicious of ringworms, treat as if it is ringworms with medicated wash first

Yup, went to the vet on Thursday night. She gave the antifungal cream to apply for 3 weeks, and 2 weeks dosage of antibiotics. Will continue to monitor. Thanks!

tirednhungry247

Reaction score
hi, in an acute kidney failure diagnosis, if a dog has normal creatinine levels but high blood urea nitrogen level, does it mean that the damage to kidney is potentially reversible?

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi, in an acute kidney failure diagnosis, if a dog has normal creatinine levels but high blood urea nitrogen level, does it mean that the damage to kidney is potentially reversible?

In some cases yes, acute renal failure can be reversed. Depends on what caused it in the first place

High BUN and normal creatinine may indicate early stages of kidney disease although i have seen high BUN in bad dental disease with normal creatinine that is corrected once dental surgery is done

Last edited:

tirednhungry247

Reaction score
Thank you! Your reply is very very helpful. I also heard that a cat/dog could be in early stages of kidney failure and yet have normal BUN/crea values. Is that true? In your experience, what are the early signs which show that your cat/dog's kidneys might be degenerating, and how do you prevent that?

In addition, do you have any tips on caring for a geriatic cat (13 years)? Thanks in advanced :)

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Your reply is very very helpful. I also heard that a cat/dog could be in early stages of kidney failure and yet have normal BUN/crea values. Is that true? In your experience, what are the early signs which show that your cat/dog's kidneys might be degenerating, and how do you prevent that?

In addition, do you have any tips on caring for a geriatic cat (13 years)? Thanks in advanced :)

Theoretically possible, there used to be a HESKA kit for detecting renal diseases in dogs and cats way before it even shows up on the bloodworks.

The reality is that most of the time I find the patient's bloodwork BUN and crea to be abnormal even before there is clinical signs because I enjoy collecting and testing bloodworks :)

Typically one need to lose 75% of kidney function before it becomes clinical

soarskyhigh

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Theoretically possible, there used to be a HESKA kit for detecting renal diseases in dogs and cats way before it even shows up on the bloodworks.

The reality is that most of the time I find the patient's bloodwork BUN and crea to be abnormal even before there is clinical signs because I enjoy collecting and testing bloodworks :)

Typically one need to lose 75% of kidney function before it becomes clinical

What's your view on the IDEXX SDMA test?

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Urinalysis test is best for early detecting like kidney right?

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What's your view on the IDEXX SDMA test?

TBH, I have never used it before. From my understanding, all the papers that say it is a good test is done by Idexx, so naturally they will laud their own product but still I dont think it should deter anyone from using it, it may still be a very good test.

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Urinalysis test is best for early detecting like kidney right?

Yes but only if they run special tests like the HESKA ERD panel. Routine urinalysis checks USG and some other panels

cheryl12345

Reaction score
Hello! Recently my dog went for a surgery to remove a tumour. However, he’s a very active dog. An hour after the surgery he’s like roaming around as though he hasn’t done any surgery. I’m concern about his wound tearing because he likes to jump(very active). The surgery would is above his thighs near the crotch area and it’s quite big. Any advise for me to make him less active during this period so he can recover quicker?

malaikai2005

Reaction score
If yours is an adult dog dont worry
He knows what he is doing

My dog went to remove one of his testicles
He could hardly sit or stand after the operation
Surprisingly the next day he able to jump up and down my bed
Like nothing happened

:s13:

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello! Recently my dog went for a surgery to remove a tumour. However, he’s a very active dog. An hour after the surgery he’s like roaming around as though he hasn’t done any surgery. I’m concern about his wound tearing because he likes to jump(very active). The surgery would is above his thighs near the crotch area and it’s quite big. Any advise for me to make him less active during this period so he can recover quicker?

I just recommend owner to keep them in a confined area, here in Australia the houses here have those small laundry room which is big enough for them to walk around but not big enough to run.

Check the wound twice a day. Slow gentle walks outside.

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
the panel result look like this ah??

5WzC5go.jpg

Yes but only if they run special tests like the HESKA ERD panel. Routine urinalysis checks USG and some other panels

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the panel result look like this ah??

5WzC5go.jpg

Not this one, this is a blood test and it appears to be fairly comprehensive although it doesnt give electrolytes. Everything is negative or within normal limits. The eosinophils and platelets are mildly elevated but I wont be too worried about those.

You want a urine test done on the ERD kit, it doesnt come up on a computer because its a bench side test. The vet follows the instructions on the kit and sees if there is 2 bands or just one band. IIRC, 2 bands means positive

ziricote

Reaction score
I am deliberating spaying my Pomeranian 7 months old and struggling the decision to put him through that. I read online and they indicate there is increased risk on a whole variety of diseases and disorder. However, it seems to be more oriented towards larger breeds.

Any additional advice and thoughts on this?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.