NTU/NUS/SMU 2018-2019 Intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jadajada

Reaction score
Already completed pre-enlistment medical screening, etc. NS should be second quarter 2018 after our final semester.

By which time, I hope to have a reserved place in NUS for BComp (InfoSec).

Dear Jada, do try to stay with computing for our future will be (digital) computer driven. It will be a beautiful unpolluted world; a world platformed upon IoT, AI, Quantum Communication, etc.

My interest is in Infocomm Security but I think Computer Science is cool too.

My thoughts exactly. Hopefully we see each other in 3 years time HAHA
did u do computing related courses?

Plow98

Banned
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. Hopefully we see each other in 3 years time HAHA
did u do computing related courses?

Yes. I will be graduating with a diploma that is intimately related to cybersecurity.

Next year, during NS, you may also wish to consider (and fight for) a vocation in SAF's newly formed Cybersecurity Command. If successful, your time spent will be contributory towards your computer science ambitions. It will help to ease you into the world of computer science.

Jadajada

Reaction score
Yes. I will be graduating with a diploma that is intimately related to cybersecurity.

Next year, during NS, you may also wish to consider (and fight for) a vocation in SAF's newly formed Cybersecurity Command. If successful, your time spent will be contributory towards your computer science ambitions. It will help to ease you into the world of computer science.

Yeah i wanted to get into that too but i read that they choose you and not the other way round. Also, its supposed to be really selective like commando/diver cos u need relevant diploma/subject/won some competition. The only computing i did was in sec1 and 2 and its like really basic stuff-css,java,c lol.So i was wondering how does one fight for it?

Plow98

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah i wanted to get into that too but i read that they choose you and not the other way round. Also, its supposed to be really selective like commando/diver cos u need relevant diploma/subject/won some competition. The only computing i did was in sec1 and 2 and its like really basic stuff-css,java,c lol.So i was wondering how does one fight for it?

You are right about it being competitive. Should be. However, as they have only a few months head start, and as the number of NS recruits may not have produced too many right candidates, I am hoping that by early 2018, they are yet to fulfill their quota.

btw ... please do not belittle your css, java and c. Brush them up because year 1 sem 1 at NUS, they will be handy. Look up their CS1010 module and you will see what I mean.

Jadajada

Reaction score
You are right about it being competitive. Should be. However, as they have only a few months head start, and as the number of NS recruits may not have produced too many right candidates, I am hoping that by early 2018, they are yet to fulfill their quota.

btw ... please do not belittle your css, java and c. Brush them up because year 1 sem 1 at NUS, they will be handy. Look up their CS1010 module and you will see what I mean.

Once you're done with your course would u mind passing me your textbooks,notes etc? Figured i might as well learn a bit,no matter how little

Plow98

Banned
Reaction score
Once you're done with your course would u mind passing me your textbooks,notes etc? Figured i might as well learn a bit,no matter how little

Dear Jada, you may have a problem believing this: Myself and most (if not all) of my classmates did not buy nor own any textbook throughout our polytechnic journey. This is because our poly diploma programme delivery / pedagogy employs the Problem Based Learning (PBL) methodology. This mode of education delivery is completely computer based. Entirely paperless. As such, the laptop (with its unique PBL software) is our one and only essential learning tool for the last 5 semesters. Now I am doing my compulsory industry internship.

Thank you.

Ottoke

Reaction score
Dear Jada, you may have a problem believing this: Myself and most (if not all) of my classmates did not buy nor own any textbook throughout our polytechnic journey. This is because our poly diploma programme delivery / pedagogy employs the Problem Based Learning (PBL) methodology. This mode of education delivery is completely computer based. Entirely paperless. As such, the laptop (with its unique PBL software) is our one and only essential learning tool for the last 5 semesters. Now I am doing my compulsory industry internship.

Thank you.

Republic Polytechnic :)

However I believe there are soft-copy notes.

Jadajada

Reaction score

Thank you.

Wow that sounds kinda cool i tot only finland had this. Meanwhile im stuck with dozens of notes that i wont remember or use after 2 months lol. Also, most of us made it through without having to use a laptop even for project work except during presentation. So whats your internship about?

Plow98

Banned
Reaction score
Wow that sounds kinda cool i tot only finland had this. Meanwhile im stuck with dozens of notes that i wont remember or use after 2 months lol. Also, most of us made it through without having to use a laptop even for project work except during presentation. So whats your internship about?

Good morning, dear Jada.

A laptop is compulsory in my poly. For those who have difficulties, the poly has a funding scheme to ensure that everybody is thus equipped.

My internship is with a government organisation and owing to confidentiality consideration (of which I am legally bound), please excuse me.

As for PBL, not sure if it was started in Finland but the methodology is fantastic. PBL not only delivers basic facts but does so through a process that challenges and provokes. As a result, it inculcates in the learners critical life skills such as problem analyss, solution sourcing (identification / selection), team work and leadership, and most important of all effective presentation skills. PBL produces confident individuals that are battle-ready to face future challenges of our ever changing digital world. Do google PBL for more. The day is near when all institutions of learning will have difficulties avoiding PBL. When my poly was established, (I think) MOE used it as a 'testbed' for PBL; an experiment and even now there are frequent visits by pedagogic researchers running around our campus. Observing and interviewing happy students.

"Namaste" (my respectful greeting to you)

Last edited:

LEEJIYOUNG

Reaction score
NTU year 1 but gonna tell you guys some of my experiences in application.

I have a poly GPA of 3.64 and applied for NTU econs in 2014, IGP was 3.63 the year before. I didnt get in and got offered into sports sci instead which was around 3.4x/3.5x at that time. If your GPA is around last year's 10th percentile, it is still highly unlikely you get in. Apply for courses which you have a solid chance of getting in,say at least 30th percentile.

I tried for NUS FASS too and previous year IGP was 3.68. 0.4 higher than mine. Needless to say, I didnt get in despite other achievements.

I applied for NTU Linguistics and the 10th percentile at that point of time was 3.5x with 3.7x as the 90th percentile. I got in pretty easily despite an interview.

A piece of advice from me, if you are just an above average poly student but not top tier e.g GPA3.5-3-7.5 go for NTU. higher chance of getting in.

if you are between 3.7-3.8 for SMU.

NUS is the hardest to geti n as a poly grad, you need a solid 3.8 and above to get in.

For guys, please do not delay your application thinking that you can afford to choose during NS. The poly grade inflation is probably going to continue. now it may be 3.5 for a course but 2/3 years later it might become 3.7 for 10th percentile to get in.That was what happened to NUS during my time

Plow98

Banned
Reaction score
NTU year 1 but gonna tell you guys some of my experiences in application.

I have a poly GPA of 3.64 and applied for NTU econs in 2014, IGP was 3.63 the year before. I didnt get in and got offered into sports sci instead which was around 3.4x/3.5x at that time. If your GPA is around last year's 10th percentile, it is still highly unlikely you get in. Apply for courses which you have a solid chance of getting in,say at least 30th percentile.

I tried for NUS FASS too and previous year IGP was 3.68. 0.4 higher than mine. Needless to say, I didnt get in despite other achievements.

I applied for NTU Linguistics and the 10th percentile at that point of time was 3.5x with 3.7x as the 90th percentile. I got in pretty easily despite an interview.

A piece of advice from me, if you are just an above average poly student but not top tier e.g GPA3.5-3-7.5 go for NTU. higher chance of getting in.

if you are between 3.7-3.8 for SMU.

NUS is the hardest to geti n as a poly grad, you need a solid 3.8 and above to get in.

For guys, please do not delay your application thinking that you can afford to choose during NS. The poly grade inflation is probably going to continue. now it may be 3.5 for a course but 2/3 years later it might become 3.7 for 10th percentile to get in.That was what happened to NUS during my time

Dear Ji Young, your advice for poly grads not to procrastinate in their decision / application is valid and timely. The next few months is a window that cannot be missed because as you pointed out the CGPA for the Big 3 has been rising relentlessly. Indeed, current graduating diploma guys may be lured to ease up on their uni / course place hunt due to the time gap by NS.

Thank you.

Jadajada

Reaction score
Can i just make a point that the course u take isnt as important as which uni u go to. Social sci is good in its own way, but if u take it just to get into uni,u wont like the course and the subsequent jobs available. Better to do something more relevant and something in your interests.

Plow98

Banned
Reaction score
Can i just make a point that the course u take isnt as important as which uni u go to. Social sci is good in its own way, but if u take it just to get into uni,u wont like the course and the subsequent jobs available. Better to do something more relevant and something in your interests.

A wise old fella once taught: "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."

Identify that course that dove-tailed your passion, thereafter select the best Uni to deliver the starter Bachelor Degree for your journey. Once done, lock your focus on the target and march on. Your pace and steps may vary along the way, but the target remains sacrosanct.

Namasté everyone.

Theoneguy

Reaction score
Do they take cca as consideration? Throughout my past 5 sems i never join any cca

My cgpa so far for the first 5 sems is 3.92, got chance go uni?

Last edited:

LEEJIYOUNG

Reaction score
Do they take cca as consideration? Throughout my past 5 sems i never join any cca cus im the introvert type of person.

My cgpa so far for the first 5 sems is 3.87, got chance go uni?

I have never joined any CCA too and got a GPA of 3.64. I still made it to uni so you definitely can too

Plow98

Banned
Reaction score
Without rain nothing grows
Also there will be no rainbows

Do learn to embrace the storms of your life, dear David. Your cgpa setback is but a storm and, be assured, sunshine will soon return to warm your beautiful anatta again.

Cheer up man.

Plow98

Banned
Reaction score
CGPA 3.94 for NUS BComp (InfoSec). Any chance ?

Last edited:

Plow98

Banned
Reaction score
Indian guy spotted

Not necessarily. It is a respectful greeting by practitioners of Yoga. A recognition that there within you is a Devine Spark. Same with Qigong.

People from Sri Lanka north to India, Tibet, Xinjiang and east across to Inner Mongolia to Korea, Japan and south to Mekong countries of SE Asia are intimate with this form of greeting.

Namaste means "I bow to the Devine in you".

' you ' refers to that being that is now labelled with your present name. But who really are you before you were given your present name/identification by your parents soon after your birth. Really ... Who are you?

As for my temporary racial identification: The body I now use was produce/born to a good Chinese couple and they gave me my present name. This body will expire (return to dust) in about 30K days and I will have to leave my given name behind to continue my journey.

Amituofo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.