HWZ AMD Ryzen R5 Owners Klub

5star_pundit

Banned
Reaction score
just got AMD Ryzen 7 1700X together with MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic from amazon hopefully can overclock Adata xpg spectrix d40 2400mhz 2x8gb to 2933mhz just by setting xmp2

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
6 core is new 4 core
4 core is new 2 core
:s22:

This is nothing new. The mobile SOCs have been battling on cores for a long time. Desktop wise, thanks to the Intel monopoly which resulted in stagnant growth in the mainstream market. :o

james_chew

Reaction score
Hello all,

been looking to build a r5 1600 mini itx built. problem now is that in terms of pricing, the cheapest i5 7600+mobo bundle is almost $100 less than a r5 1600+mobo bundle!

at that difference is it still worth? am i missing something? ie the cheap mobo for intel has less features

Because it is mini itx unlikely to do much OC (anyway 7600 cant do OC).

Would really appreciate any insights from the bros here. Gum sia gum sia in advance :s22::s22:

poooooo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

been looking to build a r5 1600 mini itx built. problem now is that in terms of pricing, the cheapest i5 7600+mobo bundle is almost $100 less than a r5 1600+mobo bundle!

at that difference is it still worth? am i missing something? ie the cheap mobo for intel has less features

Would really appreciate any insights from the bros here. Gum sia gum sia in advance :s22::s22:
Question is do you need 4c4t or 6c12t for your usage.

dorabee

Reaction score
Hello all,

Hi Bro,

Do you mind sharing the components that you have selected for your mini-itx build?

PiPiChew

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Cos i5 8600 launching soon ma. B250/H270/Z270 Mobo cannot be used with Coffee Lake basically if you buy Kaby Lake and the respective chipset Mobo you can't upgrade in future.

TLDR: they having leylong now.

Sent from 富贵山庄 using GAGT

james_chew

Reaction score
Hi Bro,

Do you mind sharing the components that you have selected for your mini-itx build?

other than mobo i was lloking at

Case: CM 110
GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB mini
Memory: 8gb 3000mhz
PSU: Silverstone SFX 600 W (hard to find SFX PSU and i read that at least 500W needed)

Mainly to use as console/HTPC. GPU prices inflated now so i just take 1060 which I think can last for another 2 years at least

james_chew

Reaction score
Question is do you need 4c4t or 6c12t for your usage.

its going to be for games so i reallty cannot tell honestly. like split views on whether more games will be optimsed for multi core or that single core clock speed will still be main determinant. I dont do much video processing on my comp

-Synchronicity-

Reaction score
Even so, the new i3 comes with 4c/4t. In other words, u get kaby lake i5 performance at i3 price....

Either way, still best to wait for kopi

robolee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well anyone know interm of per core performance, definitely intel is stronger but the price for these small gains are questionable thou unless your a rich person who doesn't care about pricing wise

Last edited:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just wait. Pretty sure new boards will come. Either that or get the k processors. All new k processors actually look attractive.

I don't necessarily agree that the K series is attractive. It's touted as an overclocking chip, but I feel the poor quality TIM used have time and again proved that there is limited OC headroom due to thermal limitation.

Calikura

Reaction score
I don't necessarily agree that the K series is attractive. It's touted as an overclocking chip, but I feel the poor quality TIM used have time and again proved that there is limited OC headroom due to thermal limitation.

Delid? der8auer's 3D printed tool. Works well, more so due to the fact that the IHS is attached to the substrate using a thick layer of cheap glue. Scrape off that glue and you've already removed quite a bit of the unnecessary space between the die and the inner surface of the IHS -- that's most of the problem gone. The TIM itself is not going to make such a huge difference (similar to how toothpaste vs. MX-4 between IHS and heatsink makes literally a 1-2C difference).

It's not an expensive workaround (nor is it difficult anymore), and it's not like people buy K processors in order to save money vs. overpriced competing products anyway ;)

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

The leaks seem to indicate the i5-8400 as the star buy, why?
Base clock 2.8GHz, 4.0GHz boost (1T turbo multiplier). i5 didn't use to have 4GHz on the single core turbo table.

Board vendors can do what they've been doing since sandybridge. MultiCore Enhancement: The Debate About Free MHz - AnandTech

What it does:
ATtthT9.png
On paper, at least till Kaby Lake Turboboost can sustain 127 second max. But in reality with dynamic frequency and voltage scaling, it is as good as infinite.

In response to this existential threat during Ryzen launch, AMD puts this in their review guideline to disable MCE which is present in just about all the asus, gigabyte,msi, asrock etc boards to boost Ryzen numbers (esp gaming shortfall)
(This was from Paul's hardware where he openly shared AMD's review guideline, watermark on top right)
VoPf74v.jpg

The joke though, B360 and H310 boards are still not close to launch that invalidates the 8400 as a good buy (tentative).

K chip on the other hand, my stance on the i5-K remains. The locked i7 can do MCE (again, 1T clock + MCE) and outperform i5-K as with past gens. Overall the only K chip really worth buying is the 8700K but it is cost prohibitive if you factor
-delid tool and use of Galinstan alloy (aka liquid metal)
-Must relid or higher risk of substrate damage, can't overtighten HS
(Skylake++ PCB is thinner than credit card)
-Officially no warranty
(Some Intel Performance Tuning Plan OC warranty users on OCN say the support agent may replace it under PTP activation)

Z boards should be skipped unless you get 8700K.
All else goes to B-H series board (i3-K, i5-K are bad buys due to MCE on locked chips)

OceanEleven

Master Member
Reaction score
ASUS Motherboards ROG CROSSHAIR VI VS the Extreme.
Using for net surfing, multi window, multitasking, some gaming.
No streaming, video editing etc. May try OC.
BTW is a 550W PSU enough?

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Compared to 1 shot hampalang buy from the few shops in SLS based on price list, vs buying from Qoo10 Lazada Amazon etc, how much am I saving for the extra time and effort to hunt and wait for delivery?

5rnlgp2l.jpg

Sent from 富贵山庄 using GAGT

Wow, so detailed. Haha. With the R5 1600X going at 200 USD and an estimated exchange rate of 1.4, it will cost 280 SGD. Mobo, I managed to get the Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 at 70 USD, so it's about 98 SGD. Shipping is free. I will need to get a separate cooler, so it's another 20 SGD from Lazada after discount. So total damage is about 400 bucks.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.