Will China ever surpass the US in terms of culture?

Ratedg2

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will Prc movies be watched worldwide?

Will Prc tv shows dominate channels worldwide?

Will Prc celebrities be idolized by people everywhere like Kylie/Kendall Jenner, the Kardashians, Taylor swift, Beyonce?

Will Prc music be listened to by people who dont speak chinese?

fatbastardx

Banned
Reaction score
Not likely.

Because they didn't colonize the world and spread the language and culture like the Anglos did.

So Chinese culture and language will always be confined to China and surrounding areas..

Ratedg2

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The fact that we are conversing, writing in English is purely a consequence of history.

That could change in the future don’t you think so? Like how the lingua franca switched from french to english when the UK became a superpower

fatbastardx

Banned
Reaction score
That could change in the future don’t you think so? Like how the lingua franca switched from french to english when the UK became a superpower

The lingua franca in Southeast Asia excluding Indochina had never been French...

French had never been a globally used language, not as much as English is anyway. French was/is used only in French colonies.

English started off being used only in the colonies but because the USA and to a lesser extent Australia had great cultural and economic influence around the world, English quickly became the default working language and subsequently the "international" language of business.

It is the confluence of business, technology and popular culture that drove the spread of English throughout the world.

jeff79

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
More and more amdk learning chinese to do business with tiong.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Legend has it that in the past, China is even more cultured than Japan

And then Mao fked it all up

But then again, the China is also known for flat out lying, seeing Taiwan isn't fked by Mao and they aren't really that cultured either.

And by legend, I mean that even today they still keep saying China is cultured, but we can easily see that it is bullshyt. However history is written by the victor.

radish

Emeritus Honorary Member
Reaction score
it have happened in the past. given the current economic growth rate of china, its almost certain to happen again in the not too distant future.

when i was young it was laughable to think china entertainment can go near those of tw or hk, dont even need to talk abt usa.

however today chinese ppl every where - sg included, are gobbling up china dramas, variety shows... especially all the competition type of show.

over the years i see my family and friends watching more china based drama, especially web based ones where hk drama and tw variety seems to have drop in lustre.

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score

Will Prc celebrities be idolized by people everywhere like Kylie/Kendall Jenner, the Kardashians, Taylor swift, Beyonce?

no, no, no, no

Unless the world's perception of PRC changes

fatbastardx

Banned
Reaction score
As long as the Communists rule China, that will never happen.

China was never really cultured. Culture belonged to the elite. They spent their days reciting poems, doing elaborate tea ceremonies, art, etc. The elite do not speak of money, it was subtly understood as they were all rich anyway.

The vast majority: the commoners, the peasants, the business people were all considered vulgar and uncultured. Especially the business people - to deal directly with monetary exchange of goods and services was vulgar. These were our ancestors.

fatbastardx

Banned
Reaction score
我是小猪猪猪;110648629 said:
5000 yrs of culture got destroyed by ** Mao in just few decades. Hard lah.

It was the masses destroying the elite minority.

It happened in France too but they didn't lose their culture.

So what does it say about the Chinese?

jeff79

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Legend has it that in the past, China is even more cultured than Japan

And then Mao fked it all up

But then again, the China is also known for flat out lying, seeing Taiwan isn't fked by Mao and they aren't really that cultured either.

And by legend, I mean that even today they still keep saying China is cultured, but we can easily see that it is bullshyt. However history is written by the victor.

Japan copied tang dynasty chinese culture :o Only the ruling class and elites cares about culture. The peasants living hand to mouth will not care about what culture.

nivek999

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You wish to see the rest of the world to be as uncivilized like them?

frenchbriefs

Banned
Reaction score
Every country has their own culture and literature.theres some Russian writers and video games and movies that I quite enjoy.i also like French movies and then there's Jap anime.....in fact I'm not sure what culture ur talking about because the Europeans think the Americans are barbarians and cultureless.but I enjoy American pop culture.the only country with zero culture is sinkieland.

Angmoh_TuaKi

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There is no need surpass anyone to prove anything.

It is best to be natural.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.