 Pay Discussions [Read first page for FAQ]

tec_geek

Reaction score
Hmm. Based on my personal observation, which isn’t scientific as it’s a sample size of 1, I noticed that when I tell the cashier Apple Pay, the transaction appears to go through faster. I made this observation as I buy the same item from one particular store every week and they have signs supporting both Apple Pay and Paywave.

Thou its interesting that some stores, when you say Apple Pay, they ask if it’s Visa or Master.

Sometimes I would just say Paywave (easier to say) and ended up using Paypass (MasterCard). No issues at all though.

Fellowes

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I would just say Paywave (easier to say) and ended up using Paypass (MasterCard). No issues at all though.

When I go Popular and stated Paywave and use my phone to tap, the cashier will always ask which bank. I was wonder did it make a difference, why only popular cashier need to ask which bank while other places simply tap and go.

Some places will ask Visa / Master too, just wonder did the management told their cashier staff the correct way of doing cashless transaction. Actually no need to ask, when customer say Paywave (even Paypass) will simply work so idk they ask which bank or Paywave/paypass for what actually.

Last edited:

chenaz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The reason why they are asking was some of their receipt need to print out mode of payment.

There are 2 receipt . One is issued by the bank terminal which is the device to accept your card. Another receipt is the POS receipt .
If u manage to peek into the pos . U will notice that they need to chose which bank and credit card to use. Some of the pos does not integrated with the banks so they won’t know what kind of mode of payment u are using .

And also some cards from some banks offer some promotion and they need to show it on the POS receipt . The system need to do some calculation

When I go Popular and stated Paywave and use my phone to tap, the cashier will always ask which bank. I was wonder did it make a difference, why only popular cashier need to ask which bank while other places simply tap and go.

Some places will ask Visa / Master too, just wonder did the management told their cashier staff the correct way of doing cashless transaction. Actually no need to ask, when customer say Paywave (even Paypass) will simply work so idk they ask which bank or Paywave/paypass for what actually.

Fellowes

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The reason why they are asking was some of their receipt need to print out mode of payment.

There are 2 receipt . One is issued by the bank terminal which is the device to accept your card. Another receipt is the POS receipt .
If u manage to peek into the pos . U will notice that they need to chose which bank and credit card to use. Some of the pos does not integrated with the banks so they won’t know what kind of mode of payment u are using .

And also some cards from some banks offer some promotion and they need to show it on the POS receipt . The system need to do some calculation

Oh thanks for the clarification! Nice info! Now what left is Citibank on Apple Pay and the start of LTA Trial.

chenaz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why Citibank does not support Apple Pay I am also curious. So I cannot answer u also haha

Oh thanks for the clarification! Nice info! Now what left is Citibank on Apple Pay and the start of LTA Trial.

Slavor

Reaction score
A while back it was reported that banks who wanted to get on board with apple pay had to pay a $2 million 'marketing' fee to apple. Might have been the high price that turned off citibank.

Why Citibank does not support Apple Pay I am also curious. So I cannot answer u also haha

sdchew

Reaction score

To my understanding it is because they got marketing dollars from Samsung to exclusively support Samsung Pay. Thou I heard that agreement is expiring

kenchi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

chris888222

Reaction score
To my understanding it is because they got marketing dollars from Samsung to exclusively support Samsung Pay. Thou I heard that agreement is expiring

Multiple users who tried to add their Citi card to Apple Pay are getting an agreement page, which are signs that it is coming.

Hopefully this means other foreign banks will join too, though I doubt it’ll be likely (minus Chinese banks).

nsguru

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So the type (Master, VISA, etc) and the bank (DBS, POSB, OCBC, etc) of the card that was added to the ApplePay matter when using ApplePay to pay?

punker

Reaction score
So the type (Master, VISA, etc) and the bank (DBS, POSB, OCBC, etc) of the card that was added to the ApplePay matter when using ApplePay to pay?

Yea you're right. If the bank do not support Apple Pay, u can't even add it into the wallet.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score

for apple pay in singapore, i think until now the card terminal still cannot identify which card u r using, hence u cannot redeem rebates (daily$, smart$) during payment.
eg. when u tap POSB card at watsons, if using physical card, u can use the rebates to offset bill, and credit card receipt will print out card name and rebates info.
but if u tap via apple pay, it will just show as normal mastercard paypass card without any info.

i saw some demo video that some overseas apple pay works the same as physical card, the self checkout counter will show the credit card rebates info and ask user if want to use the rebates.
in singapore, most of the time u still need the physical card to enjoy the promotion (except apple pay promo).

AnDyLe0

Reaction score

apple pay is just a method to add your credit/debit card to iphone.
when tap, u are still using that credit/debit card to pay.
if the shop accepts visa only, then u can only use visa cards on apple pay.

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
I seldom bring a lot of cash out now. The most S$20 inside my wallet. lol.

For most of the payment, i use apple pay. :s13:

chris888222

Reaction score
Tried adding my new Citi card to Apple Pay on iPad and the same acknowledgement screen showed up.

Wonder when they’ll actually launch it..

elimmel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Same here. Ever since the food places at my workplace started accepting Apple Pay, I no longer have much cash with me

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tried adding my new Citi card to Apple Pay on iPad and the same acknowledgement screen showed up.

Wonder when they’ll actually launch it..

Citi isn't participating in Apple Pay. These are the only banks in S'pore participating:

American Express*
DBS (Mastercard and Visa credit and debit cards)
HSBC (Mastercard and Visa credit cards, Visa debit cards)
OCBC (Mastercard and Visa credit and debit cards)
POSB (Mastercard credit and debit cards)
Standard Chartered Bank (Mastercard credit and debit cards, Visa credit cards)
United Overseas Bank (Mastercard and Visa credit and debit cards)

Apple Pay participating banks and card issuers in Asia-Pacific - Apple Support
http://fxt1.uc.cn/10_2X9rN

kenchi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Only maybe establishment will have those cashlesss and those smalll businesss and small food stilll cash is king so I still carry real cash beside using cashless

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Only maybe establishment will have those cashlesss and those smalll businesss and small food stilll cash is king so I still carry real cash beside using cashless

Isn't that the reason why i still carry cash around? :s13:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.