Official: Portal Router - High Tech router technology, move your WiFi to the Fast Lane

gutianleong

Reaction score
I live in a 3 storey house, would 2 sets of portal be good? Currently using Asus AC87u at the 1st floor where the ONT is and a repeater at the 3rd floor. Router to repeater connects via 2.4ghz and repeater to my devices in my room is 5ghz. I know placing the repeater at the 2nd floor is better, but my music server at the 3rd floor needs to connect via lan for remote control.

Can I reuse my repeater with the portal router? Just solely for my music server. So 1st floor and 2nd floor will have a portal each, and 3rd floor will be my repeater just for the music server.

Thanks!

MichaelTan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I live in a 3 storey house, would 2 sets of portal be good? Currently using Asus AC87u at the 1st floor where the ONT is and a repeater at the 3rd floor. Router to repeater connects via 2.4ghz and repeater to my devices in my room is 5ghz. I know placing the repeater at the 2nd floor is better, but my music server at the 3rd floor needs to connect via lan for remote control.

Can I reuse my repeater with the portal router? Just solely for my music server. So 1st floor and 2nd floor will have a portal each, and 3rd floor will be my repeater just for the music server.

Thanks!
Your current setup is not optimal. Router to repeater 2.4GHz (backhaul) is subject to interference and all the devices connected to the repeater is compromised. I understand why you need to use 2.4, perhaps for the penetration capability.

The Portal would give you a 5GHz backhaul which is basically interference free, and also connection to devices interference free, and also a mesh setup which your devices can forget about roaming and let the Portal mesh determine the optimal AP the device will connect to.

However, I suspect that the main thing which needs to be fixed in your house, is that there is no wired backhaul.

I suggest that before you invest any more into this setup, what you need to do would be to pay someone to run a cable from 1st floor to 3rd floor, so that if you buy any new equipment, you can use a wired backhaul instead of depending on wifi. 2 concrete floors is no joke for any wifi equipment.

logitech123

Master Member
Reaction score
i'm getting very slow wifi speed even when im standing right infront of the router, less than 100mbps. i had to restart the router to get it back to full speed. it happen every 2-3days.
wired connection about 750-800mbps. if i connect directly to my ONT i get about 900mbps

MichaelTan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just test something for me. Maybe handphone issue. So put your phone aeroplane mode, wait 10 seconds then on wifi again. See how.

i'm getting very slow wifi speed even when im standing right infront of the router, less than 100mbps. i had to restart the router to get it back to full speed. it happen every 2-3days.
wired connection about 750-800mbps. if i connect directly to my ONT i get about 900mbps

glacieraze

Reaction score
Bought 1 during comex show, was pleased with the simple design. However, my portal isn't able to detect the other ssid on channel 52 and jump to another DFS channel. Any idea how I can force it to jump to other DFS channel?

HPbrnj5.png

MichaelTan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bought 1 during comex show, was pleased with the simple design. However, my portal isn't able to detect the other ssid on channel 52 and jump to another DFS channel. Any idea how I can force it to jump to other DFS channel?

HPbrnj5.png
hi. What analyser are you using? What we don't understand is:

1) At the top of the horizontal axis, there is a number in bracket (1) (1) (1) (4) what are they? Number of SSID? Because your 5GHz channel 52 says 1 but there are 2 SSID on that band. Something is wrong with the chart.

2) Portal always keeps Guest and User at same channel, in your chart it is separate.

There may be compatibility issues between the wifi analyser program with your laptop's wifi, hence the chart may not be displaying properly. If you have a major brand phone, it might be better for you to use Wifi analyzer or wifi analyzer pro on your phone instead.

For additional help, you may want to email to jason.teo@convergent.com.sg

glacieraze

Reaction score
hi. What analyser are you using? What we don't understand is:

1) At the top of the horizontal axis, there is a number in bracket (1) (1) (1) (4) what are they? Number of SSID? Because your 5GHz channel 52 says 1 but there are 2 SSID on that band. Something is wrong with the chart.

2) Portal always keeps Guest and User at same channel, in your chart it is separate.

There may be compatibility issues between the wifi analyser program with your laptop's wifi, hence the chart may not be displaying properly. If you have a major brand phone, it might be better for you to use Wifi analyzer or wifi analyzer pro on your phone instead.

For additional help, you may want to email to jason.teo@convergent.com.sg

I am using Wifi analyzer from Windows Store.

1) Not sure what those means either.

2) The Portal_Guest is broadcast by my Asus Router as Portal doesn't allow Guest Network when it's operating in bridge mode.

Here's another chart I took using Wifi Analyser on one of my Samsung tablet. My problem with the PortalWifi, it is unable to pick up those SSIDs around my house as it is placed at the center of my house. Then stuck on channel 52 :(

b7n5Ecj.jpg

leoshee

Reaction score
Just bought the Portal, but having problem pairing with my iPhone apps. It keeps prompting "Pairing failed". :(

leoshee

Reaction score
Just bought the Portal, but having problem pairing with my iPhone apps. It keeps prompting "Pairing failed". :(

Who can I contact for help? The information is lacking on local support on portal website and nothing is stated in the user menu.

cj8888

Reaction score
Already done that. Just want to re-solve the pairing issue with my phone.
Thanks.

Please do a hard reset (push a toothpick/pen/paperclip into the reset hole for about 8 seconds till it starts to double blink in blue) then pair it with your iPhone again.

Please note your iPhone firmware need to be iOS v1.0.18 or later.

You can get more details on iPhone setup from:

support.portalwifi.com/hc/en-us/categories/203961508-Getting-Started

For technical support you may call Convergent customer support @ 6337 0177.

xolatw

Reaction score
how good is the wifi at penetrating walls? I am living in a maze of walls......

xolatw

Reaction score
can't seem to update to latest firmware even though I am currently on 1.2.152. When I click on update it says already updated to latest version. Anyone else have this problem?

cj8888

Reaction score
can't seem to update to latest firmware even though I am currently on 1.2.152. When I click on update it says already updated to latest version. Anyone else have this problem?

Please try to update from the app and not from the webGUI.

Login to your Portal from the app. --> Click on the gear symbol on the top right corner. --> Click on "Check update". Leave it alone for a while, it should starts to update.

Last edited:

xolatw

Reaction score
Please try to update from the app and not from the webGUI.

Login to your Portal from the app. --> Click on the gear symbol on the top right corner. --> Click on "Check update". Leave it alone for a while, it should starts to update.

Thanks for the help. Done!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.