View Single Post
Old 13-10-2017, 01:41 AM   #17
Kyoji83
Arch-Supremacy Member

No offense but I don't think most of your complaints are valid except for the overloading of semesters and the extra amount of damages you have to pay if you fail the course.

Just sharing my experience so that more people are aware of PCP-RN.

-It is a course with a bond. If you fail the course, of course you have to pay the damages.. just like a scholarship bond. If not where got so good? What's more, there is training allowance even during your studies.

For PCP, you are correct cause student & surety are both local however I cannot say the same thing for foreigners.

I have actually ask foreign students who are under sponsorship for 3 years normal Diploma courses & their reply is they do not know their actual amount for Liquidated Damages (LD). Their surety are foreigners who mostly are their parent in their home country like China. If they run away, by right Singapore Government (sponsors) needs to engage Lawyer at China to demand for DL payment. However I never hear any sponsors doing that.

-Starting pay low even after completing the course. That's to be expected, since to them they "paid" for your 2 years of course + training allowance.

Just sharing my experience so that more people are aware of 'untold' information about PCP-RN.

-Lecturers and assessors CMI - that happens everywhere. just ask any local uni undergrad, most of the professors also are just textbook based and have no industry experience. After all, most of these lecturers and assessors probably have not been nurses or doctors before, how would they know ? You only learn more when you start working as a proper nurse, just like any other industry.. that's why related working experience is valued over a higher education paper (like a masters' or PHD) sometimes.

NYP Lecturers are experience nurses who have at least a Honours/Bachelor or Master Degree. However I feels that they do not have what it take to be a Lecturer presenting topics or competent to trained a class of students (Ratio: 1 Lecturer to more then 20 students) for nursing lab.

-Overloading of semesters: yes it suck but its probably a compromise. I don't think a lot of employers would be willing to wait for a person to complete a 3 year course and then offer them.. they might as well go and look for fresh diploma grads every year to join them without having to wait 3 years. And its probably because of the training allowance that they have to cut short the duration.

Not really & actually the course fees is much cheaper if the course is 3 years rather then PCP 2 years.

During that academic year, Full time normal Diploma courses for Singaporean is $19,881.60, PR is $22,695.70 & International Students is $26,218.70 as Non-subsidised Student for that 1 year duration course fees. As Singaporean & PR, we can get subsidised such as tuition grant to bring the training course fees & DL amount down.

However NYP charge a high price of $34,475.40 for PCP Diploma courses for that 1 year duration without allowing student to have Subsidy like MOE Tuition Grant which increase the DL amount.

The funny part is our sponsorship contract are base on estimated course fees of $39,782.60 per year to draft contract.

Normally, a seller will give a price for the product to be consider by the buyer. However I am surprise why this work another way when the buyers (WDA, MOH, MOHH and sponsoring hospitals) willing to buy the product before the seller (NYP) even give the actual price.

So why did NYP charge a high price of $34,475.40 or unacceptable purchasing procedures without anyone like Auditor General's Office (AGO) questioning? To add on, why Singaporeans & PRs are not given Tuition Grant for studying full-time Diploma in Nursing (PCP)?