TAIPEI FOOD THREAD

Vegitto

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Oh, those who never try before, should eat 1 time 台铁便当...
Can buy the original(the one in octagon box) or the more expensive ones. Not bad actually :o

Vegitto

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Oh, this yr at raohe nightmarket i ate this dessert at this shop(which is nearby the meesua shop that has like many yrs of history, i havent tried that yet :( )

got this one, is biscuit soaked in peanut soup.
Quite special, and is nice to eat..
Its name is 古早 something something..

Whisper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My virgin trip to Taipei years ago..I had 阿宗面线 everyday lor. :s34:

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I quite like the white bittergourd juice in XMD. Very nice. Something that I'll go back again and again for. It's a cooling drink oso, so it'll help when I eat too much heaty food during the trip, haha.

1xtreme

Reaction score
Sorry lai. I find the fact that we need to stand around eating a meesua and that time raining, so really find it over-rated. I will try again. OK. Going peepee now. :)

I don't like to type essay so forgive my short and curt reply. Actually I seldom post.

Actually hor, I also find the meesua not so special imo, haha. Maybe its the pricing & the advertising that attracts the long queue...:D

Vegitto

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I quite like the white bittergourd juice in XMD. Very nice. Something that I'll go back again and again for. It's a cooling drink oso, so it'll help when I eat too much heaty food during the trip, haha.

its at the fruit juice stall at one end of xmd right?
always see ppl queuing for the white bittergourd juice
i haven't try it yet also

jnashville

Banned
Reaction score
Besides all these "snack" foods, any other food recommendatations?

Currently I looking to have their beef noodles, visit this seafood market called addiction( if i rem correctly)

navarro_t

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i will recommend Fu Hang Dou Jiang 阜杭豆漿 for breakfast.. yummy!

Fu Hang Dou Jiang 阜杭豆漿
Hua Shan Market Level 2, No. 108, Zhongxiao East Road, Sec. 1 (Shandao Temple Station)
華山市場 2F忠孝東路一段108號紹興南街 (善导寺)
Opening Hours: 5.30am – 12.30pm (Tue – Sun), Closed Mon

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
its at the fruit juice stall at one end of xmd right?
always see ppl queuing for the white bittergourd juice
i haven't try it yet also

Yupyup. Bittergourd is an acquired taste ba, some people hate it to the max. I love it though. :D If you don't like bittergourd taste, it'll be better if you have someone with you to share the drink, just in case you didn't like it. But the stall got put syrup so it's not too bitter, and yet not too sweet oso. I feel just nice.

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yupyup. Bittergourd is an acquired taste ba, some people hate it to the max. I love it though. :D If you don't like bittergourd taste, it'll be better if you have someone with you to share the drink, just in case you didn't like it. But the stall got put syrup so it's not too bitter, and yet not too sweet oso. I feel just nice.

It's white bitter gourd mix with a little honey, taste a little bitter only.

samgoh87

Reaction score
Gotta try the ice cream popiah for those who havent eaten it before

As usual price increase over the past 2 yrs *sigh*

Can eat the one at jiufen
Or xmd(push cart type, so u might not see it if the police are ard)
raohe or ningxia nm have also, cant remember which liao

For those who like to eat some tw traditional food.. Can find those small eateries(like at the sides of nightmarkets)..
麻油面线/鸡 can try
药炖排骨 also not bad

Fried chicken dun eat the hotstar one le.. The chicken so thin, batter so much, just eat once can liao
Other types of fried chicken like the 艋甲 fried chicken(the guy artist nono is a partner boss) is nice
There's also another one nightmarkets will have one is 恶魔鸡排, also quite nice
Then got another franchise(usually is shop and not nightmarket stall) also quite nice.
The chicken meat is thick and juicy, batter flavour is nice and not dry like hotstar one..

Wat else......

Deep fried milk can try, its interesting

The grill mua chee at xmd also can try, choose the flavour u like, it'll be nice. Personally i recommend sesame, or condense milk if u got a sweet tooth

For the 艋甲(Manga?) Fried chicken, please don't queue for it when you're really hungry or in bad weather. Okay to be more precise, avoid the outlet at xmd. They're pretty much using the 饥饿营销(hunger marketing?) Method.

Went there 2 mths ago, I was 2nd in queue and ordered as per normal. There wasn't anyone else queuing or waiting around at that moment. So I thought it'll be pretty quick(shilin NM and Raohe was pretty speedy).

So I stood outside and waited. Then I started seeing 2 other different groups of customers ordering right after me. After waiting for slightly more than 5 mins, I saw that they're packing the Fried items into the paper bags but they're not calling for our queue number. They kinda packed it and kept it one side, while all these is happening about 1 or 2 more new customers head up for ordering.

After 10 to 15mins, u can see that the "crowd" is building up outside. Then that's when they start to call out ALL THE FIRST FEW GROUPS OF CUSTOMERS AT THE SAME TIME.

The chicken cutlet is really thick and juicy. But perhaps try to get it from other places other than xmd...

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
It's white bitter gourd mix with a little honey, taste a little bitter only.

Ya sorry its honey, which I mistakenly stated as syrup. But the honey helps a lot with the taste. I went to Keelung NM and bought the white bittergourd juice there and ask for no honey... regret max. :s13:

xchampsx

Reaction score
For the 艋甲(Manga?) Fried chicken, please don't queue for it when you're really hungry or in bad weather. Okay to be more precise, avoid the outlet at xmd. They're pretty much using the 饥饿营销(hunger marketing?) Method.

Went there 2 mths ago, I was 2nd in queue and ordered as per normal. There wasn't anyone else queuing or waiting around at that moment. So I thought it'll be pretty quick(shilin NM and Raohe was pretty speedy).

So I stood outside and waited. Then I started seeing 2 other different groups of customers ordering right after me. After waiting for slightly more than 5 mins, I saw that they're packing the Fried items into the paper bags but they're not calling for our queue number. They kinda packed it and kept it one side, while all these is happening about 1 or 2 more new customers head up for ordering.

After 10 to 15mins, u can see that the "crowd" is building up outside. Then that's when they start to call out ALL THE FIRST FEW GROUPS OF CUSTOMERS AT THE SAME TIME.

The chicken cutlet is really thick and juicy. But perhaps try to get it from other places other than xmd...

Maybe the chicken was too hot to hold or eat, and hence they placed it at one side to let it cool down first? If not it may be dangerous for customers who may just pick it up and dig in unknowingly.

kevinleong

Reaction score
Can try the champion beef noodles at 牛店 around XMD. Quite long que A bit pricy but nice to eat.

xchampsx

Reaction score
I employed this driver called Bao Ge
After touring jiufen and shifen, he brought us to a local seafood market to buy some seafood, then drove us to a restaurant to cook the seafood.
Restaurant gave us free rice and vegies, and charged minimally for the cooking.

Lost his contact, but if this rings a bell in anyone, do sound out! Been trying to find his contact for quite some time already

TLCTLC88

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can buy the original(the one in octagon box) or the more expensive ones. Not bad actually :o

Tried once but didn't eat much. If going for long journey, i think can buy and try. But if like 1hr journey, i rather save my stomach space for other food (i was going to ruifang station to go jiufen)

Ch3tah_39

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Haha sit train 就是要try 台铁便当!!
:) I agree is not bad really

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ya sorry its honey, which I mistakenly stated as syrup. But the honey helps a lot with the taste. I went to Keelung NM and bought the white bittergourd juice there and ask for no honey... regret max. :s13:

Haha :s13:

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After touring jiufen and shifen, he brought us to a local seafood market to buy some seafood, then drove us to a restaurant to cook the seafood.

Lost his contact, but if this rings a bell in anyone, do sound out! Been trying to find his contact for quite some time already

This kind of driver very difficult to find liao. Really all out to service you.

LIN_JOEL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

The market izzit at Keelung port?
Years ago I had this experience with another driver, brought u to choose fresh seafood (got baby abalone) and den to another restaurant to cook.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.